Peugeot 106 diesel coolant problem - dickie
Hi my 1.4 106 (1993) diesel is losing coolant from the expansion tank. It\'s spraying out of the cap over the tank.

It\'s been losing coolant through a leak in the radiator for some time. It\'s had a head skim about 60,000 miles ago, current milage is 137,000. I top up the coolant when it goes below the limit, but coolant loss has obviously sped up since it started coming out of the cap.

Is it time for a new radiator. I don\'t understand why is pouring out of the cap. I\'ve tried another cap, but no difference.

Apart from that it\'s a good little run about
Peugeot 106 diesel coolant problem - Peter D
Well it could be that the system is sucking in air through your pin hole in the radiator when it cools down then displaces coolant then it heats up and expands or your head gasket is seeking combustion gases into a waterway. a good gagage can use a gas analyser and sniff the header tank for signs of combustion gases. Regards Peter
Peugeot 106 diesel coolant problem - Simon
It sounds like it has got a little too hot too many times (due to the leaking radiator) and has blown the head gasket.
If it had blown the headgasket, then surely the oil level would rise as some of the coolant escaped into the sump.

The oil level remains the same, although it uses some and there isn't any mayonaise deposit on the oil filler cap.
Peter D,
Yes, could be. The coolant doesn't start escaping until engine has reached working temp at least. Normally I try and do all my own work, but I'll ask my mates dad who runs a garage to have a look at it. He does all the complicated stuff (MOT's)

There isn't much point doing anything too much to it, as it wouldn't be worth it. The head won't take another skim. But a new or 2nd hand rad would be ok.
Peugeot 106 diesel coolant problem - IanT
Head gasket!

A small break in the gasket material between a cylinder and a water channel might be too small to let water flow into the cylinder (and therefore won't find its way into the sump).

But when the cylinder is pressurised, gas can leak through the small break and will pressurise the water system. Which will then lead to water escaping from the expansion cap in large quantities.

Ian
Peugeot 106 diesel coolant problem - Number_Cruncher
Indeed, a five minute cooling system pressure test will tell you if the head gasket is gone. Any competent independant will be able to do this for you - for little money.

number_cruncher
Thanks for all the advice, I think it's D-day for the little Pug. Unfortunately, it's doomed if it's the head gasket.