928vBMW840vXK8vSL - Nsar
Sick of having a sensible car. Budget is £20k+ a bit more for the perfect example. I'll keep it either for a year for the fun of it or three years.

I'm already driving a grp 18 car so the added insurance won't kill me.

I'll do 12k pa max, much of it commuting. I need to to put my nippers in the back once or twice a week (both under 10).

928 - I can get an outstanding example but fuel is a bit scary, irresponsible even. But in my eyes a true beauty. Solid on depreciation

840 - concerned about whistles and bells sarting go a bit funny with less than hilarious consequences for my wallet - depreciation?????

XK8 - ditto and may be fishing in the cheap end of the pool for tired examples

SL - a few dodgy ones around and many with v low miles suggesting mistresses' shopping trips

Comments based on experience most welcome!
928vBMW840vXK8vSL - teabelly
If you want completely unsensible but will seat 4 then a nissan skyline GTR-33/34 would fit the bill. The 32s are a bit old but go up to 1994. Fuel economy is around 25mpg. I haven't fathomed the service schedule but on 12,000 miles a year you'd probably want at least 2 oil changes a year if not 3. Middlehurst Nissan (the original sole importers) have a 1998 r33 v-spec for £19995. The r34s start around £22k

A maserati 3200gt is another alternative along with a mitsubishi galant vr4. The vr4s have the same 4wd system as the mitsubishi Evos and the same engine. They look a lot more sensible and less like they have fallen out of Halfords though :-) The 3200gt is the upmarket and grown up choice. Not sure how they are on the fun side but they aren't that sensible!
teabelly
928vBMW840vXK8vSL - Nsar
Interesting thoughts. Always had a soft spot for Galants - the shark styling (in fact if a really good 635csi came my way I'd be interested) but brand status is fairly important so I think Japanese is out.
I don't think I could afford the stress of worrying about repairs on the Maserati!
928vBMW840vXK8vSL - Happy Blue!
How about an M5? or E-class AMG? Audi RS6?

I'd love a 928 of all the ones your suggested, but can;t remember what year the newest would be. Must be over six years old by now?

840 is dull inside but has more space than the 928. Guy in the next door office has one and seems never to go wrong.

XK8 - drive one - if you're less than 5'10" you're too short in my opinion. The dash is way too high and the car is an old mans car in the same way the SL is (or for mistresses or bored wives). I think I'd rather have an last model XJ-S.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
928vBMW840vXK8vSL - trancer
Espada beat me to the M5 suggestion. Room in the back for 2 nippers and their nanny. Or three Nannies if you aren't married 8-).

If the XK8 isn't for people under 5'10" and it isn't for people over 6'3" (I am 6'4" and can't fit in it) then it seems that Jaguar were very particular about who they want driving the XK. Not that anyone cares, but I can't fit in the 840 either.
928vBMW840vXK8vSL - Nsar
Cheers - it's an aesthetics thing so high performance saloons are out.

I think an XJS would be a bit too "character building"
928vBMW840vXK8vSL - trancer
M3 then.
928vBMW840vXK8vSL - Happy Blue!
Be a devil....

Ferrari 400; or...............

Lamborghini Espada III !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
928vBMW840vXK8vSL - Nsar
Sorry Trancer, a bit too pimp for me