Growler.N.E.Spain - wemyss
Growler we are taking your recommendation and heading in a weeks time for the Pals/Begur/Palafrugell area. It does indeed look a lovely and ideal place.
We haven?t booked anywhere and will be taking a few days in France on our way down and find somewhere on arrival. Browsing the area the type of place we would like to stay is such as tinyurl.com/63e7e
With your knowledge of the area could you identify just where it is as I can?t find it in lists of apartments etc on the net after endless browsing and Pals appears to be an area and not a specific location.
From the photo it appears to be remote and wondered if there would be any accessible bars and cafes in the vicinity without having to use the car which isn?t a good idea after a few drinks.
Being out of season it shouldn?t be any problem getting accommodation on arrival but would like a target to head for similar to this one with something to do at night.
Any advice or alternatives appreciated?.
alvin

Growler.N.E.Spain - THe Growler
Hi Alvin. HJ obviously has a better handle on the weather there, my trips to my house were always in the summer.

If you can find Toroella de Montgri on your map, then south of that slightly off the main road is the old medieval town of Pals. This is very pleasant, no cars and on a hill with nice views. That is set inland about 5 km from Playa de Pals, which is a village on the beach. It has shops a few restaurants and a supermarket, however I don't know how seasonal the restos are. If you want somewhere where things are within walking distance in that area L'Estartit would suit you better. Plenty of apartments to let there. Not a whole lot to do but if you want some peace and quiet that area is pleasant.

Toroella is also nice for strol around. October -- I don't know whether the open air markets, cafes etc will be open or whether just seasonal again.

Good luck.
G
+
Growler.N.E.Spain - helicopter
SWMBO and I returned from Seville last week. It may be a bit further south than you want to go.The temperature a week past Sunday was 41 degrees C and we had a great time in this beautiful old city apart from the rip -off taxi driver who added 50% to the fixed price from airport to city because he thought we were an easy mark... needless to say he didn't get his asking price.I think that the speed we were driven at it was Alonso taking time off ftom F1
Thanks Growler.. L?Estartit it is and just hope the weather is kind and of course with your own car you can always divert if its too bad. So the ladies are going to be covered up Roger?well that?s only proper as who wants to see Spanish beauties lounging on the beach in their bikinis. The wife doesn?t like me staring anyway...

Growler.N.E.Spain - malteser
Thanks Growler.. L’Estartit it is and just hope the weather is
kind and of course with your own car you can always
divert if its too bad. So the ladies are going
to be covered up Roger…well that’s only proper as who wants
to see Spanish beauties lounging on the beach in their bikinis.
The wife doesn’t like me staring anyway...

That's what sunglasses are for!
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
>>>>>>>The wife doesn?t like me staring anyway...

Confucius he say peace of mind better than piece of ***.

Hope you enjoy your trip. Some nice drives, don\'t overlook Aguablava, a lovely little cove with a nice beach.

Growler.N.E.Spain - malteser
The Spanish are, in my view MUCH nicer people than the French. If you make even an attempt at speaking Spanish you will generally find smiles and corrections to your efforts, all done in a nice way.
The French, on the other hand, tend to get all spiky and miserable if you mangle their precious language!
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
Growler.N.E.Spain - T Lucas
I'm flying to Girona,Costa Brava for a weeks hols during the October 1/2 term,courtesey of Mr Ryanair and was hoping the weather might be bright,at least.
Scarey thing is Hertz say i've booked a Renault Scenic(or similar).What might the similar be?
Growler.N.E.Spain - Alfafan {P}
Just back from a week in Llafranc near Palafrugell which is not far from Pals. Weather was good enough to spend 5 days on the beach although it was starting to cool down later in the afternoons. The two dullish days were spent in Gerona (impressive cathedral) and Figueres (Salvador Dali museum). Well worth a visit, but expect to queue for about 45 minutes.

Driving in Spain very relaxing away from the Autopista, but watch the roundabouts. Nobody uses the inside lane.

I hired from Hertz in Barcelona (no suitable flights to Gerona)looking for a Focus (or similar). Got a Focus C-Max which was a bit bigger than we needed. However, averaged about 54 mpg according to the computer.
Growler.N.E.Spain - T Lucas
Dali museum is on the list of must do's,i'm using Hertz because they are Ryanairs partner Hire car providers,hope i don't have to wait too long for a car.I usually use Avis out of choice.
Growler.N.E.Spain - helicopter
Have to agree with you there Roger - on our numerous visits to Spain we have always found the natives to be friendly with the possible exception of the officers at the Gibraltar border who tend to be a bit surly. Good food , good wine ( I love a good Rioja ) and plenty of sun in white towns with pretty squares and alleys with flowers everywhere - bliss. SWMBO is the Spanish speaker but I can ask for a 'cerveza ' with the best of them.

Driving there is bliss once you get away from the N340 and up into the mountain roads where the silence is broken only by the crickets.Watching the eagles circling in the thermals over a mountain miles away from any form of telephone or sailing the Med with Dolphins playing in the bow wave is my idea of heaven.

Sigh......
Good advice on destination and thanks Growler it really is a lovely area. We stopped near Pals beach and with it being out of season there wasn?t many people about. Trips to L?Estartit and old Pals town were among our favourites and the former is a place we will visit again in the future.
Lucky with the weather as it stopped warm and sunny for the whole period and only broke on our return home over the Pyrenees.
On our way down we took the opportunity to stay at Oradour sur glane near Limoges the village which had all but three of its 600 or more residents massacred by the SS and all the village burnt down. The French have built a new village alongside the old and left the former exactly as left by the Germans in 1944.
A very sad sight to behold and together with the museum serves as a reminder to us.
A plug here for anyone intending to travel over the channel for Speedferry ferries from Dover to Boulogne. £50.00 for a return trip if booked over the internet and £60.00 by phone.
They are also taking amendable bookings for 2005 during this October at the same price. Excellent 50 minute journey. tinyurl.com/4n779
We were told that some P&O staff aren?t very pleased with Speedferries at Dover due to their low prices and there was talk of direction signs being knocked over etc.

Glad you enjoyed it!