2002 - Clutch / Gearbox - BigBoab
Can anybody offer some advice about a Zafira clutch/gearbox fault on my sister's 2 and a half year old car? Basically, with the engine running, you can't select any of the gears. However, if you put it in gear and then start it, you can drive it (but only in that gear). Had to drive it home in 2nd for her after it expired in Edinburgh at the weekend.

I'm thinking a hydraulics or a vacuum problem but would like some second opinions. Thankfully she's decided just to get it fixed and then sell it as it has been a disaster right from the start.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/09/2008 at 19:50

Vauxhall Zafira Clutch / Gearbox - Dynamic Dave

Can't offer any advice, other than if it's only 2½ yrs old, then won't the 3 yr warranty cover the fault? Unless of course it's an import, or hasn't been serviced by Vauxhall.

Vauxhall Zafira Clutch / Gearbox - BigBoab
Well, she bought it from a discounter (Motorpoint?) after looking at them in the local dealer. So they're decidedly sniffy about having anything to with the car, and it took a huge amount of hassle to get the last problem fixed under warranty.

Hopefully it will be something simple and cheap to fix, but I doubt it.
I forgot to add that after starting it in gear, the clutch still disengages the drive, but you can't change gear from the one you started it in.
Vauxhall Zafira Clutch / Gearbox - Civic8
>>I forgot to add that after starting it in gear, the clutch still disengages the drive,
That rules clutch problem out. Assuming it does the same in all gears would think gearbox prob/poss syncro cones ie clutch`s between gears. Shot in the dark here.But certainly sounds like gearbox fault.?

--
Was mech1
Hmm, I thought it might be the synchro rings as well, but couldn't see all of them failing at once, plus you can select the gears with the engine off. Confused? I am! No idea what the problem is but given that it is such a badly designed and built heap of a car I'm not surprised!
Vauxhall Zafira Clutch / Gearbox - madf
I had a very similar problem on a Rover 800. Turned out the clutch pressure plate springs had gone walkies and one broke. So there I was stuck in the garage - could not engage gear when the engine was running - but could disengage gear.

Rover 800s were a pile of horse ordure: I thought Vauxhalls were better..

New clutch job...after AA agreed with me and towed it to a garage.
Try tading Standrads if Motorpoint have given you a 3 year warranty and won't help..

madf

Vauxhall Zafira Clutch / Gearbox - Drew.h
BigBoab i have also had this problem with my Merc C180. It turned out to be the Clutch Slave Cylinder, the seal had gone on it and the clutch fluid was leaking therefore having not enough pressure to engage clutch while the engine is on. I would also have a look at the Master Cylinder (i had it changed aswell).

Drew
Vauxhall Zafira Clutch / Gearbox - MW
I agree, sounds like clutch. Get someone to depress it and observe under the bonnet just how much the clutch arm moves. A small amount will be enough to disengage the drive i.e. it is effectively slipping in a big way, but it is not disengaged enough to allow the gears to mesh. If it improves after you pump up the clutch peddel quickly 6-7 times, then it is probably weak cylinder rubbers in the master or slave cylynder as they are weeping. Pumping momentarily increases the fluid pressure. Just buy the rubber kits and with fluid its a £10-15 job maybe.
Turns out it is the clutch hydraulics and that they're refusing to do it under warranty because the clutch 'is a renewable item'. Means I have to go and shout at them for her.
Vauxhall Zafira Clutch / Gearbox - Victorbox
"because the clutch 'is a renewable item'" So are brake pads but you don't expect to pay for leaking brake cylinders in the three year warranty. Is this a Vauxhall dealer (in which case I'd try another one) or the supplying company?
It's the local Vauxhall dealer, who we've had problems with in the past. I'm just off the phone to the service manager who has agreed it is a warranty issue. I reckon they thought my sister was a soft touch...
Vauxhall Zafira Clutch / Gearbox - Victorbox
Amazing, you would think they would want the warranty work.
Vauxhall Zafira Clutch / Gearbox - dness1
just bought a zafira 56 plate 9 weeks ago after 4 weeks i got a judder first thing in morning for about 5 minuets then ok i took it back to main dealer and told them they booked it in a week after me telling them and put a new clutch and flywheel in and even gave me a courtasy car while mine was being fixed I'm sorry to here of some of the problems you and other zafiradrivers are having
Vauxhall Zafira Clutch / Gearbox - Aprilia
Turns out it is the clutch hydraulics and that they're refusing
to do it under warranty because the clutch 'is a renewable
item'. Means I have to go and shout at them for
her.

That's a really really stupid attitude on their part. No wonder Vauxhall have such a poor reputation.
Vauxhall Zafira Clutch / Gearbox - John S
If this is like some modern vauxhalls the clutch slave cylinder is in the belhousing and operates the release bearing directly, so you can't easily check movement. Also makes fixing it very expensive, as so much has to be dismantled - may even be an engine out job.

I'd have said clutch facings (within reason) are a 'wear item', but I'm not so sure about hydraulics.

JS
Vauxhall Zafira Clutch / Gearbox - Aprilia
If this is like some modern vauxhalls the clutch slave cylinder
is in the belhousing and operates the release bearing directly, so
you can't easily check movement. Also makes fixing it very
expensive, as so much has to be dismantled - may even
be an engine out job.
I'd have said clutch facings (within reason) are a 'wear item',
but I'm not so sure about hydraulics.
JS

Yup, I think its one of those 'concentric' slave cylinders, as you say. However IMHO the clutch hydraulics are definitely *not* a wear and tear item (any more than brake hydraulics are wear and tear).
Vauxhall Zafira Clutch / Gearbox - John S
Aprilia

I'd agree - I was trying to say I thought the hydraulics were not a wear and tear item. Just didn't phrase it well!

JS