Micra: engine temp sensor location? - mikem004
Nissan Micra 1.0 N reg (K11 type)

* Where is the engine temp sensor located? The temperature gauge on the dashboard takes about 8 miles on the motorway to get into the "Warmed Up" region. Even then, it jumps suddenly from cold to "warmed up". I reckon the temp sender needs replacing. On my old Fiesta, this was a simple "screw out-screw in" job that even I could handle. Same on the Micra?

* At the front of the engine, immediately to the right of the oil dipstick is a hand-sized triangular, curved plate of iron that is positioned between the engine and the radiator. As far as I can tell from consulting my Haynes manual this bit of iron seems to cover the thermostat but I may be wrong and be looking at the opposite end of the engine! I guess this lump of metal is some sort of shield, to protect the radiator from engine high temperatures maybe? Anyway, all 3 screws holding this on to the engine block have rusted, the iron plate itself is very rusty and the whole thing looks ready to drop off.
Question: What is this plate called? Do I need to get a new plate fitted or will securing the existing rusty old plate be OK?

Thanks
Mike
Micra: engine temp sensor location? - Civic8
Temp sender unit. Is located at or near thermostat. to trace it follow radiator top hose back to cylinder head. From what you said. would think a bad connection to sender.

plate. and may be wrong?. is possibly heat shield on top of exhaust manifold. Does it have hole in it. if so may have had pipe connected to it from air intake. I may be totally wrong on that.??
--
Was mech1
>Temp sender unit. Is located at or near thermostat. to trace it follow radiator top hose back to cylinder head. From what you said. would think a bad connection to sender. <

There is what looks like a silver spark plug (marked Bosch) jutting out from the thermostat area, with wiring attached. This looks a likely contender! So you think I should check for bad connection first, then replace?

>plate. and may be wrong?. is possibly heat shield on top of exhaust manifold. Does it have hole in it. if so may have had pipe connected to it from air intake. I may be totally wrong on that.?? <

Yes, I think it is a heat shield for the exhaust manifold. I'll obviously have to fix this as I don't want the radiator and the engine cooling system to go kaput. It may even be linked to the failure of the temp sender unit.

Mike

>>
>Temp sender unit. Is located at or near thermostat. to trace it follow radiator top hose back to cylinder head. From what you said. would think a bad connection to sender. <

There is what looks like a silver spark plug (marked Bosch) jutting out from the thermostat area, with wiring attached. This looks a likely contender! So you think I should check for bad connection first, then replace? <<

Just been to my local Nissan main dealer. They quoted me £27 for a temp sender unit.

Mike

Micra: engine temp sensor location? - Civic8
Heat shield. Wont have anything to do with either temp/sender or rad.

Bad connection to temp/sender. would cause your prob. senders age would cause it as well ie failing.
--
Was mech1