Delaying tactics? - volvoman
Another thread in Technical raised a question in my mind (always a dangerous thing):

Is there anything to deter a dealer from failing to resolve (either deliberately or by ineptitude) a serious fault until the warranty is expired and the repair(s) become chargeable to the customer? In such a case does the owner have any realistic legal redress? Surely, if a car has been suffering the same problems for some time and the dealer has failed to resolve them within the warranty period, why should not the warranty be automatically extended to cover any associated repairs undertaken until the fault is found/fixed?
Delaying tactics? - No Do$h
It is the date that the fault is notified and the vehicle offered for repair that triggers the warranty, not when the spanner men have fixed it.

Any insurer trying to claim otherwise would soon be on the wrong end of the Ombudsman Service.

No Dosh - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Sorry ND not sure I understand your answer (my brain not in gear perhaps).

What I was trying to get at is what, if any, redress is there for the unfortunate car owner who notifies an intermittent fault, say 2 years into a 3 year manufacturers warranty and then finds the dealer is unable to fix said fault within the next year but eventually finds/fixes the problem after a further period and charges for it? It seems fairly common for dealers to have problems tracing and rectifying certain faults but does the owner have to put up with this or could he/she claim the fault should have been fixed more promptly whilst the car was still under the warranty and hence at the makers expense?

Is all that gobbledegook?
I know what I'm trying to say :)
Delaying tactics? - patently
I think ND is trying to say that provided you walk in and say "this bit doesn't work, here are the keys, sort it" within the warranty period then you're ok.

If they spend aeons locating the problem that that is their problem not yours. The fault existed in the warranty period.

That is certainly my experience - and is why I make sure cars get their annual service shortly before the warranty expires not shortly after.
Delaying tactics? - No Do$h
Mr Patently is correct.
Delaying tactics? - patently
Makes a change! ;-)
Don't tell your clients that Patently :)

So, those of our fellow BackRoomers with cars which have had the same intermittent and unresolved fault have nothing to worry about when their warranties expire (aside, that is, from the significant inconvenience of owning a car which needs attention on a regular basis).