Renault Modus Chute Boot - BobbyG
Just read the review of the Modus in this week's Auto Express. The Modus has a "boot chute" which I will try and explain.

Its a conventional hatchback type opening boot, but within that there is a "hatch" which pulls backwords, similar to the boots in the original Minis (I am not going to get your attention putting boots and minis in same sentence!)

This way, instead of opening the full boot, you can just simply open this small hatch, throw something in and close again. Even better than renault's split tailgate in my opinion!

Are Renault leading the field with this or are they copying someone else?
Renault Modus Chute Boot - Canon Fodder
Does that not get in the way when you trying to load in large items Bobby?
No, the tailgate still opens as normal, this "chute" is actually a hatch built into the tailgate!
www.autoexpress.co.uk/

if you go to the above and access the Renault Modus test and then more images you will see a picture of it. Unfortunately can't post a link direct to that page.
I see what you mean - looks a bit flimsy to me, like the old picnic tables in the All-aggro, which were oh so useful when settling down on the hard shoulder to wait for the AA man again.

O/T I hate the interior of that car, which I'm probably meant to being a conservative old git.

I'll take the Golf GTI from the same mag - no nasty beige cloth trim or palm-beach style sun visor over the digi-speedo there I'll warrant.

CF
Renault Modus Chute Boot - AngryJonny
Presumably some cloth-eared designer was told to give the car a "cute" boot (after the mess they made of the Megane) and this was the result.

Nope... I doff my cap in the general direction of Renault for trying to be a bit different in an industry where everyone else is trying to be the same. They appear to have taken the baton from Citroen.
Renault Modus Chute Boot - NowWheels
They appear to have taken the baton from Citroen

I think Citroen threw the baton away years ago: apart from (perhaps) the Picasso, they done nothing v original since the BX. Renault probably had to restore the baton when they found it in the skip
Renault Modus Chute Boot - AngryJonny
OT:

Speaking of conformism amongst manufacturers... the same can be said for consumers too.

I snapped this shot out of my office window a couple of hours ago. Believe it of not, I have a colour camera!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/angryjonny/Mysia.j...g
That's a great shot Kid, Silver is the new Grey!
Renault Modus Chute Boot - Sofa Spud
I'm now orking on a 'chute-chute boot'. Going one better than the Modus, this involves a tailgate with a big chute framing a smaller chute about the size of a fuel filler flap in case you just want to chuck a ping-pong ball into the boot.

Which motor manufacturer do backroomers think would be most likely to be interested in my idea?

Cheers, Sofa Spud, tongue in cheek.

Renault Modus Chute Boot - Ivor E Tower
I lay claim to having invented the "boot chute" - remember the Wedgie Leyland Princess? Before it metamorphosed into the Austin Ambassador I suggested to Leyland that they replace the rear with a hatch with a separate boot opening to avoid having to open such a large tailgate when you just wanted to place a small item or two into the back. Never heard a word back from them. As I was a schoolboy at the time maybe they just dismissed my idea as rubbish?
Renault Modus Chute Boot - pmh
I would hazard a guess that the A40 (farina) Countryman version had this as standard in about 1961?

pmh (was peter)