override option for the Intelligent key? - pmb
Is there an override option with an intelligent key on a Nissan Micra? As far as I make out it is not possible to lock the car with any keys in it. Is this correct? I am thinking of things like:
- driving through a city centre at night when the safety advice is to lock yourself in
- lending a car to someone who leaves it in an agreed place with the keys slam-locked into the boot to await another keyholder fetching it
- several drivers going to a sports or similar event and all but one of them leaving their keys in the car to avoid dropping them

All quite common situations that I would expect my car to cope with. So have I misunderstood? I do hope so because I rather like the look of the higher spec new Micras to replace my P-reg

Thank you for any advice

{edited to use drop down menu that wasn't previously available when first penned}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/05/2009 at 01:34

Intelligent key for Nissan Micra - Civic8
My FIL is interested in buying one. I went with him to look and ask about it for him.
I was told by Mechanic. whom I spoke to rather than saleman(didnt seem to know much about it) override can only be used by MD. Key has option to unlock/lock drivers door only. leaving all others locked. Key cannot be left inside car as it detects where the key/s are ie inside wont lock. Within 80cm off exterior off car will lock/unlock. but is possible to leave another cars key inside and lock. This I was told by Nissan Mech. I would expect someone that knows better will correct.
--
Was mech1
Intelligent key for Nissan Micra - simonjl
1) You can't lock the key in from outside - true.

2) You can lock the car with you inside from the inside - there's a locking button so you can be safe in town driving.

3) You can start the car with an emergency key (contained in the key ring) using it inserted in the rotarty start switch.

4) The "smart key" can get confused and you can correct this by using the emergency start facility.

5) The smart key also has a lock and unlock blip like a normal remote CL locking plip.

6) I believe though I haven't found out how (as yet) that you can use the emergency key from outside.

7) You very quickly get used to it and wonder why other cars don't have the same - I have another Nissan and I keep getting in and try and start it in the same way.

Regards

SIMON
Intelligent key for Nissan Micra - buzbee

You can not do this on earlier models. Any idea when this feature was first fitted?

When I discussed the car in 2003 the salesman made great play that the key code changed at each use so that key-code-reading thieves could not open your car after you had left. I wondered how long this work before it got out of step. Obviously, not long enough.

Your Nissan Micra questions(SE and above):

1) Is there an override option with an intelligent key on a Nissan Micra?
2) As far as I make out it is not possible to lock the car with any keys in it. Is this correct? I am thinking of things like:
3) - driving through a city centre at night when the safety advice is to lock yourself in
4) - lending a car to someone who leaves it in an agreed place with the keys slam-locked into the boot to await another keyholder fetching it
5) - several drivers going to a sports or similar event and all but one of them leaving their keys in the car to avoid dropping them.
>>
----
Answers

(1) Yes, a sort of override. There is key entry on the passenger door side for when the battery goes flat and the intelligent key does not work.

(2)/(4) Locking an intelligent key inside the car is taboo because anyone could then come along and press a button to unlock it!

The key detection is very effective. I put one inside a steel biscuit tin, inside the car, and it still detected it!

To beat the system, wrap it in aluminium cooking foil. [You can test this by observing the red/green dash light that shows whether the key is being detected -- Red equals no detection --- foot on the brake and hand on starter switch, no turning, just press, to activate the light]

Even so, there is still a problem in trying to put the key in the boot and slam it shut because it does not lock on its own. You still need a key to do it.

What you may be able to do is close all doors and boot, lock it using the key fob. Open the passenger door with a (non-intelligent) key, hide your intelligent key (wrapped in foil) and re-lock passenger door. [I hope the alarm does not go off!] If this works, then you can all have a spare passenger door key. There are many hiding places.

(3) Default unlocking state for a single press, key or door button, is to open only the driver's door. Also there is a lock-all/unlock-all press switch by he handbrake -- almost certainly it locks driver's door.

(5) No problem as you still have an intelligent key to lock up. But use foil.

If you buy a Micra and consider having the protective plastic door strips (an extra) bear in mind they are/were pretty useless at protecting. They come to the garage as a Nissan kit, to be stuck on and are/were fitted at 44cm or so up from ground level. That is below the door bulge where you get most scuff marks. The optimum height is about 68 cm, for which the original strips are not suited -- Nissan know -- I told them.

Intelligent key for Nissan Micra - eringhty
I've managed to lock the intelligent key in the boot of my Micra. Any ideas how to resolve thisp,please?
Intelligent key for Nissan Micra - Optimist
Why can't you unlock the boot with the key in it in the same way you managed to lock it?

You have not provided enough information.

Which Micra? The current K12 or the previous K11 model?

Do you not have a spare key?

Or is it the the battery is so flat you can't use a key-press button?

On the passenger side of the K12, on the keyless entry ones, you can remove a keyhole cover to allow you to insert the key, for when the battery is flat. You can then put your hand over the back seats to get at the low-down seat release levers and fold seats forward.

On the K11 the release levers are at the top.

Not sure what to do without keys. Take front window out?

On a K12 I chucked my coat in the boot (with the keys in it!) and then tried to lock the car using the door press button. Much to my relief it refused to let me.