New car for mother. - Ben {P}
My mum needs a new car as she has decided to sell her 94L Volvo 850 T5 Auto (offers invited, its only done 75k miles).

As she will be driving in heavy traffic a lot of the time, i wish to buy her an automatic. She wants something relatively small (ie focus sized, or perhaps smaller) with reasonable performance- i have advised her she will find most things slow after the 225 bhp volvo- and air-conditioning, if possible. We hope to spend around 5k on this car. The car will only cover at most 6k a year so fuel economy is irrelevant. Reliability is an important criterion for the new vehicle as it will be required every weekday without fail, so no Renaults.

I have a little knowledge of the cars available in this price bracket, but dont know much about automatics- which cars should i look for? I initially thought focus 1.6 auto, but then worried about lack of performance. I have seen 2ltr Focus autos i think but they have the dodgy Ford box dont they? Help. Honda civic?
New car for mother. - Happy Blue!
No doubt. Honda Civic latest shape, easy to get into and out of (its important as you get older and I'm not 40 yet!), superb reliability and plenty of choice. But if you have some more money - try any of the following (all do autos): -

Hyundai Matrix - 5yr warranty
Mitsubishi Colt - new model
Vauxhaul Meriva
Subaru Forester
Toyota Yaris Verso

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
I?ll do a bit of research on your recommendations. Thanks.

However, a Forester will be too big. The car does not need to be terribly commodious. We plan, as a household to run two cars in total: my mothers new car, and a possibly larger fun car for the weekends. Budget is fairly flexible- I hope to fund the two new cars from the sale of the Volvo and my dad?s well speced x plate BMW 530dSe. That makes an anticipated 13K+ in total.
New car for mother. - patently
Take care with the Civic. I thought it ideal for my mother, but she complained of back pain on long drives. Try to get an extended test drive.

No-one else has reported this, mind. SWMBO has an explanation but moderating policy prevents...
New car for mother. - Dynamic Dave
I initially thought focus 1.6 auto, but then
worried about lack of performance.

My dad has an Astra 1.6 (16v) auto on a 51 reg. No probs with the performance. Granted it is a little slower at overtaking, but then again that's probably because I'm comparing it to my Vectra 2.2 auto.
New car for mother. - Happy Blue!
Ben

Is the BMW an auto? If it is I may be interested. How many miles and what condition? Where are you?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Sadly for you Espada its a manual. Its a Sept 2000 car (X reg age) but has a private plate B12 KVA, which is included. Its a 530d SE (192bhp engine) in silver with black leather electric memory seats, 17" wheels ( i cant remember what BMW call them off hand, they are quite deep dish, with lots of straight spokes). Its has the M-tech sports suspension, Xenon lights, rain sensors, parking sensors, and full communications pack including traffic master, sat nav, and motorola phone install, multi-changer, remote control climate control, and a few other bits and pieces. It will be fitted with two new 255/40 ZR17 Dunlop Sport SP2000E tomo at the back, and will shortly be submitted to the local BMW dealer for a service. Its done 65k and has full BMW history. Body work is very good but it has a small scrape on the rear bumper. Its has a small colour coded AC syntzer spoiler on the boot and one just below the roof (looks better than it sounds, i can send you picks if you are intersted). MOT till late december i think, tax the same. We are open to offers.
New car for mother. - daveyK_UK
reccomend the matrix - particulary the auto box.

the manual box isnt as good, and still has a few nagging faults which hyundai have seemed to given up fixing.

The matrix has bags of space, and great visability. Its also quite attractive and will be one of the better hyundai value holders.

Do test one, the warrantys are briliant!
New car for mother. - Hugo {P}
The car my late mother had, and now being driven by the wife is a Nissan Almera 1.6 SLX Auto 1999 on a T plate.

My mother was a fairly tall lady @ about 5'10" and was also quite well built. She found the car very comfortable. My wife @ 5'4" and a slighter build also finds it comfortable, as do I 6'4" and - erm - a little overweight, though because of the sun roof I am limited by headroom.

The point I'm making is that it effectively suited all 3 of us quite well, depite our different builds.

In addition the GLX is well specced with AC and a sun roof EW, EM ABS etc, and at 23,000 miles was valued at around £2k for probate purposes. I bought it off the estate for that and I think I got a bargain, though I doubt it would have fetched more on the open market.

Ben, there are plenty of good ones around and they cost very little. HJs car by car breakdown slates the N15 (earlier model) for its looks - only IIRC. It is reliable, handles well and is really practical. I cannot recommend it enough for your mum's needs.

In actual fact some of the BR may remember, I tried every trick in the book to get the wife back on the road. This was the one that worked. Any sniff at taking it away or selling it is met with such hostility you would think she gave birth to the thing!

Hugo

PS, sorry this one is NOT for sale!