Car Warranty - andy4
I am on the lookout for a newish 2.0 litre Mondeo (pref diesel). However I am still a little confused over the Ford warranty.

If I buy a year old Mondeo will it definitely come with the balance of the three year Ford Warranty. If it is slightly over a year old will it depend on if it has had it's yearly Ford dealer service.

The cause of my confusion is when I recently attempted to part/ex a two and a half year old Focus. The dealer told me it may not have come with a 3 year warranty if it had been a company or lease car (it was) as often they are bought in bulk with one year warranties. I had assume that all UK spec Focuses would have had the 3 year warranty.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Cheers - Andy

Car Warranty - IanT
Your year old Mondeo will NOT "definitely come with the balance of the three year Ford Warranty".

I don't know about the company/lease car problem, but it could also fail on:

1. Ford European imports have a two year limited mileage warranty (possibly 60K), even when imported with full UK specification.

2. Ford's normal 3 year warranty requires all servicing to be done within 1 month or 1000 miles of the scheduled service. It could have missed a mileage-based service during the first year.

3. The servicing must be done by a Ford dealer. There has been some discuusion recently that this restriction might be relaxed for new cars, but I've not yet seen anything to say that the changes will be retrospective.

If in doubt, I'm sure a Ford dealer could tell you the car's warranty status.

Ian
Car Warranty - LongDriver {P}
Ford European imports have a two year UNLIMITED mileage warranty - ie BETTER than the Ford UK 3 year 60,000 mile warranty IF you do more than 30,000 miles per year. Also, the Ford UK warranty covers some parts only for 1 year, whereas the Ford Europe warranty covers all warranty parts for the FULL two years.

Car Warranty - IanT
You're right, LongDriver. Memory playing tricks and I got the limited/unlimited mileage options the wrong way round.

Ian
Car Warranty - Carse
Andy,

The Ford warranty is as follows:

1 years Manufacturer
2 years Dealer

Therefore if the car was not purchased from a dealer direct and was part of a company car or lease plan where the vehicle was purchased direct from the manufacturer then it will only have 1 year?s warranty.

If it was purchased from a dealer then it should have the three year but it is dependant on whether the individual had the car serviced at a Ford franchised dealer.

I am sure the seller can confirm the warranty remaining and provide proof.

Carse
Car Warranty - andy4
Thanks for the info.

So if I am buying from an auction it would seem to be difficult to know whether the car has any warranty left on it at all. Especially if it is an ex rental car for example, which would have been (I presume) supplied direct by Ford.

Shame all Ford cars just don't come with a straight forward three year warranty (subject to correct servicing etc).

Do all other makes share this problem?

Andy
Car Warranty - madf
IF it has a Ford warranty, it should come complete with "FordProtect new vehicle extended warranty and service plans". There is also a transfer document that transfers it to new owners.

It can be transferred to new owners providing the car has been serviced by an authorised Ford Dealer and the History log stamped. Plus normal service/use of Ford parts in repairs/servcie done on time.

I'm quoting from the documents in front of me.

I can transfer it to any new owner I sell to: subject to those conditions.

madf

Car Warranty - Quinny100
I never got any warranty stuff when I bought my 2002 Mondeo a couple of months ago, and the dealer has carried out a couple of jobs under warranty with no fuss.

My car was previously owned by a lease company, but lessor was the dealer group I bought the car from as it had been used as a company vehicle for a manager.

Ford can check the warranty status of a vehicle pretty easily, if you're buying at auction it may be a wise move to get friendly with the local service manager who could check the cars warranty status over the phone for you.