I didn't believe this bit of law - barney100
I had my drive done and was on to the local authority about some aspect of it. I happened to mention that it was quite awkward to reverse out of the said drive. I was told that it is illegal to reverse onto a road from a drive. I immediately confessed the error of my ways and said in future I would back in and go out forwards. I was told then it was illegal to back onto a drive from a road????!!!
I didn't believe this bit of law - Martin Devon
GREAT Britain my friend, Great Britain.

Regards comrade
I didn't believe this bit of law - Guy Lacey aka S3 Geek
Handbrake turns have their uses......
I didn\'t believe this bit of law - Dynamic Dave
You need one of these:-

snipurl.com/8s37

I didn't believe this bit of law - Robin Reliant
I think you were misinformed by somebody at the Town Hall on this one. It is illegal to reverse from a minor road on to a major one, but I do not believe the law applies to reversing from a drive or a garage. After all, there may be a good reason why you had to go onto your drive front first. So how are you going to get off again?
I didn't believe this bit of law - Robin Reliant
Sorry Barny, didn't read how you were also informed it was illegal to back on. I think you can safely assume you were talking to the council idiot. Or rather one of the many.
I didn't believe this bit of law - petesbabes
This sounds like a typical council one person says one thing and someone else tells another, if you cant reverse out or into the drive THEN WHATS A DRIVE USED FOR THEN, how do they expect you to get onto it, maybe a bit of bunny hopping or a pair of wings. If your council is like my local council then the right hand hasnt a clue what the left hands doing.
I didn't believe this bit of law - owen
Current planning regulations for new driveways encourage the ability "to enter and exit in a forward gear". I would guess that the clown at the council has mistaken this piece of planning jargon for law. They'll try anything to make your life difficult these days...
I didn't believe this bit of law - NowWheels
Current planning regulations for new driveways encourage the ability "to enter
and exit in a forward gear".

Having had a horribly near mis this morning when a clown tried reversing his Merc out of his driveway without looking, I like the sound of that objective in planning. Making it illegal would be kinda overkill, though.
I didn\'t believe this bit of law - Dwight Van Driver
That was a porkie no such law.

Advisory from Highway Code 130:

Never reverse from a sideroad onto a main road. Avoid reversing into the road from a driveway;where possible; reverse in and drive out.

Having said that (winks, nods head knowlingly) :

No person shall drive, cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle backwards on a road further than may be requisite for the safety or reasonable convenience of the occupants of the vehicle or other traffic, unless it is a road roller or is engaged in the construction, maintenance or repair of the road.
Reg 106 M.V. Con and Use Regs 1986

DVD
I didn't believe this bit of law - patently
Ah - there's the solution. We all need road rollers.
I didn't believe this bit of law - Stuartli
We'll just have to practice 35-point turns in our drives more often or install one of those car turntables...:-)

The old scenario of a Jobsworth getting the wrong end of the stick.
I didn't believe this bit of law - teabelly
Could you use this advisory to persuade the council to stick double yellows across the opposite side of the road so that you could reverse into your drive? It is impossible to reverse in to mine as there are nearly always cars parked straight opposite and the nose of my car would take out the side of their car if I tried to reverse in as the road isn't wide enough to get far enough away from them easily. I can reverse out more easily than I can drive out forwards as the parked cars that are often either side of my drive obscure my view of the road but while reversing out I can see further up the road while I am shoving my back end out.

The turntable thing looks a great idea though :-)
teabelly
I didn't believe this bit of law - cockle {P}
According to our local council's website you will not get planning permission for a drive sited on a classified road if you cannot drive on AND drive off the forecourt. This must restrict you to either having room for a horseshoe shaped drive or sufficient room to perform an X point turn. The logic obviously being that in causes delay in a busy road reversing on and is an obvious hazard if trying to reverse into busy traffic.
Having got your driveway, barney, I would keep quiet and fein ignorance...
Cockle