Computer related questions. Volume 25 - Dynamic Dave

******** This thread now closed. Please see Volume 26 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25287

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 25. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please \"Reply to\" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it\'s own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Toyota Avensis ad wrecks page loading - Sooty Tailpipes
h***='http://multi1.rmuk.co.uk/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.honestj
ohn.co.uk/general/711621601/Top/AD2ONE/ToyotaAvensis_HonestJ_Bann_Aug0
4/ToyotaAvensis_Banner_HonestJ.AugSept04.html/336566653030303933653761
30613630?s0b.bluestreak.com/ix.e?hr&s=344379'
target=_top

Mac OSX 10.3.5, Safari v1.2.3

The problem with pages not loading on this site has got so bad now, I have to inform you. The main frame where the message index or messages should be is just blank white with malformed HTML for banner ads? at the top, I have to click reload a few times for another banner ad to be served, and then the problem goes away.
I don't know whether it is just the Toyota Avensis ad, but I would never buy one after all the trouble it has caused!
h***='http://multi1.rmuk.co.uk/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.honestj
ohn.co.uk/general/235198343/Top/AD2ONE/MoreThan_HonestJ_banner_Jul04/M
oreThan_Banner_HJ.html/33656665303030393365376130613630?s0b.blu
estreak.com/ix.e?hr&s=337184'
target=_top>

That one AD2one does it too, I'm no web programmer, but shouldn't the URL be within quotes " rather than ' inverted commas?
Toyota Avensis ad wrecks page loading - Stuartli
TinyURL will solve the problem of long URLS - available at www.tinyURL.com. Just drag and drop the file into your Links button at the top of the IE page.

Re pages downloading. Try Proxomitron which cures the adverts problem, along with others:

www.spamblocked.com/proxomitron/

See:

www.proxomitron.info/

first.

If you do install Proxomitron, follow the configuration information EXACTLY as stated.

You may need to use the Bypass function for some websites to fill in field forms etc.
Toyota Avensis ad wrecks page loading - Baskerville
Is there a proxomitron for Mac OS X? I don't think so--only Windows has the problem Proxomitron seeks to solve.

I'd recommend using Mozilla/Firefox instead of Safari--there is an adblocking extension for the Firtefox browser.
Thanks, it seems like bad coding, these aren't popups, but the main banner ad at the top, it seems to be bad coding, so the browser is not trying to access a URL for the advert, it just puts the URL and other code up as test, as it doesn't recognise it as code.

I can use MSIE for this site, but would rather keep using Safari for everything.

Thanks for the Firefox tip, I will look at that.
Sorry, you are correct.

I missed the reference to the Mac OS X - the long URL above it diverted my attention and I must have gone straight to the query.

But the recommendation about Proxomitron still stands for anyone having the same trouble with Internet Explorer...:-)
Toyota Avensis ad wrecks page loading - frostbite
More or less (I think) in keeping with the current theme, can anyone explain in simple terms the current 'fashion' of needing to visit multiple sites to simply load one page?

It's by no means confined to this site, and it often seems to slow everything down very considerably.

"waiting for multi1.muk".....
>>the current 'fashion' of needing to visit multiple sites to simply load one page?>>

Not sure exactly what you mean by this comment?

Have you checked Internet Explorer's configuration (Tools>Internet Options>Security and Privacy tabs)? Set to default level if necessary.

More comprehensive info on the subject at Microsoft:

www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/security/default.mspx
Toyota Avensis ad wrecks page loading - Stargazer {P}
I think you mean the Advertising Agencies sites. The Adverstiments on these and other pages are not part of the pages stored on the same server as the HJ pages, HJ merely has links to other sites where the code for the Adverts resides.

So when opening a new HJ page you not only have to download the HJ pages, you also have to resolve a link to the various Ad agencies. More often than not it is the secondard link which is very slow probably due to the agencies server having problems or overloaded (it will be serving out the adverts to many many sites.

Stephen may be able to confirm if this is the way the HJ pages work.

StarGazer
has links to other sites where the code for the Adverts resides. >>

I've only got dialup (49.2kbps with Tiscali and 50.7 or 52kbps with Pipex) and these pages download from click to viewing, including the adverts on both sides, in about one to one and a half seconds maximum.
Toyota Avensis ad wrecks page loading - malteser
Yup, on my status bar it is always the ad links which hold up full page loading and on occasions have stalled the thing completely.
--
Roger. (in the UK for 2 more weeks and then back to the sun! )
Laptop phono output to RCA amp input - SjB {P}
{Moved from IHAQ, Vol 52. DD}

Prompted by my Czech wife listening over internet radio to her homeland being soundly thrashed by Sweden in an ice hockey match:

The kitchen fan makes a good job of drowning out the speakers in her laptop, so I\'d like to make a lead to connect the laptop to the Denon mini hifi system in the kitchen.

The laptop has a headphone output, and the Denon a spare left and right hand channel RCA input, so is it reasonably safe to the equipment for me to simply make up a coax lead between the two, and start with headphone volume turned right down? I have plenty of spare interconnect coax cable to do this, and would only need to buy the connectors.

I can easily get the Denon tech specs if I need to (they are sitting in my desk drawer), but can\'t find the laptop headphone channel specs anywhere, internet included. I\'m therefore hoping that both will be to an industry standard, and the answer easy for someone with appropriate knowledge.

VMT.
Laptop phono output to RCA amp input - Happy Blue!
Can't see any reason why that wouldn't work. Headphones are simply small speakers and all you are doing is amplifying the signal.

Bound to be a hi-fi buff along soon.....
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Laptop phono output to RCA amp input - Mark (RLBS)
Provided that the signal/amp combined gets the signal upto a decent level - which it very well might not.

I can't see that you will do any harm at all trying.

Is the headset output the only one ? Usually there are more.
Thanks, guys.

Ignoring IrDA, wireless, ethernet, modem, and external monitor socket as output sources, following are my choices:

1x Headphone
2x USB
1x Firewire
1x Parallel
1x Serial

Of these, I guess that the only realistically simple option is the first one, so I'll give it a go.

To close the thread:

Armed with confidence, I browsed www.maplins.co.uk and found Products KQ12N and VL42V for the princely sums of £2.49 and £2.99 respectively.

"This high quality gold plated audio lead features a stereo 3.5mm jack to two phono leads, and is an ideal lead to connect between a line output signal and an amplifier. Connect your CD player or walkman to a pair of active speakers or your home amplifier for complete ease of use. Also useful in video and multimedia applications. Connectors: 3.5mm stereo jack plug 2 male phono plugs Length: 1.2m and 2.5m"

With the wireless router we have, it's easy to place SWMBO's laptop safely next to the mini hifi, well out of harm's way, so an order for the shorter length is now placed.

Cheers! :-)
Laptop phono output to RCA amp input - Stuartli
One other suggestion is that if your laptop has a sound card it should have a line out and/or speakers socket(s) - these will/should provide a higher signal level than a headphone socket to drive your amp.

You can still use the 3.5mm jack plug to phono plugs lead you have ordered.
Thanks, Stuartli, but although the laptop has a sound card, there is no external line out socket.

Anyway, the new lead arrived from Maplins today, and......works a treat. :-)

With the laptop headphone volume turned up to approximately the 3/4 mark, perceived speaker output from the Denon amp is the same as when listening to the Denon tuner: I toggled repeatedly between laptop with JazzFM.com live stream, and tuner receiving the same JazzFM programme, albeit a couple of seconds later.

Thanks for all the thoughts along the way.
Laptop phono output to RCA amp input - Stuartli
and......works a treat>>

That's good to hear..:-)
Internet TV - Mark (RLBS)
My wife watches Chilean television programmes across the internet.

For a variety of reasons I\'d like to push the signal from the laptop through the television.

Sound and picture works fine; except that the picture gets delayed and consequently is out of synch with the volume. Its significant enough to make the whole thing too annoying to watch.

Am I missing something or is that just the way it is ?
Internet TV - Stuartli
out of synch with the volume>>

Is this using dialup or broadband?
Internet TV - Stuartli
PS

I have a Hauppauge WinTV card to watch TV on my monitor (signal from TV aerial); if I attempt to have a full screen display the sound is almost invariably out of sync.

Obviously this is not quite the same scenario, but the principle may be the same with dialup/broadband - the former doesn\'t have enough bandwidth.
As it happens is 2meg broadband but is that relevant ?

There is no synch issue watching it on the PC screen.
Internet TV - BB
I think this is what you are after Mark.

Thinking of buying one myself actually!

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...1

I have seen them cheaper elsewhere, so have a good look around as there are a few companies who do them.

www.letsautomate.com will help you out also.
Internet TV - BB
Sorry,, didn't read the question properly! ;)
Internet TV - Stuartli
>>There is no synch issue watching it on the PC screen.>>

That's not the problem, it's the conversion to a signal for TV use that is..:-)

www.monitorworld.com/faq_pages/q7_page.html

www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/vga2tv/vga_to...l

You need a converter on these lines:

www.vtx.co.uk/video/digiboxpc2tv.htm

www.ramelectronics.net/html/PC-TV_video_adapter.ht...l
Internet TV - Stuartli
PS

A computer screen has a non-interlaced display in contrast to a TV set.
Internet TV - Stargazer {P}
Stuartli

Most laptops have the tv video output conversion already provided.

StarGazer
Internet TV - Stuartli
>>Most laptops have the tv video output conversion already provided.>>

I'm sure you are right - I'm looking at it from a PC point of view.

Laptops are used for presentations etc so it is obviously logical for such a feature to be incorporated.

Internet TV - Stargazer {P}
Mark,

Are you using the laptops tv out phono socket for the video and the headphones socket for the sound.....I use this for watching DVD on the TV and I also get a slight delay. I assumed that it was due to a difference in the signal path....one via the inbuilt vga to tv converter and the audio via the standard soundcard.

I am not sure if this is all converted in hardware or software...if the latter then it might just be running out of steam.

Can you reproduce this on another computer?

StarGazer
The laptop has both s-video outputs and the more normal one from the yellow phono plug.

Sounds is coming from the headphone socket.

I'll try it wiht a different laptop over the weekend.
Internet TV - Baskerville
Netgear do a gadget for about £100 that allows you to browse audio/video files on your PC and transfer them wirelessly to play through your hifi/TV. I wonder if that allows streaming video and if it might solve your problem.
Tuning Windows 2000 professional - SjB {P}
SWMBO's laptop, a Compaq Armada E500 with 512MB RAM, 900MHz processor, and ten gig disk running Windows 2000 Professional, has started to get slower and slower of late, so I had a tinker last night.

The disk was at about 90% capacity, so I used the appropriate uninstall routines to remove all programmes no longer used, deleted all the documents that we have backed up on multiple CDs anyway, and then emptied the recycle bin. The disk was then just 44% used.

Result.

I thought.

Having done this, I then performed a full defrag, as the disk was seen to be horribly fragmented as expected.

Unfortunately, the laptop now has the performance of a snail, and is far, far, worse than before I started, to the point of being unusable.

I have heard that removing software often leaves unused registry entries behind, with the result being an unholy mess, so has any BRer got experience to share of a good cleanup tool, please? I'd rather go down this route than re-installing Windows, and all the hassle that that implies.

Cheers!
Tuning Windows 2000 professional - Stuartli
Some offerings:

www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,4...p

www.brothersoft.com/Utilities_System_Utilities_Reg...l

www.majorgeeks.com/downloads15.html
(some by creater of RegCleaner and JV16 utilities which were very popular)

Or try Tucows.com (Utilities or Registry)
Tuning Windows 2000 professional - Altea Ego
From experience i find that a complete reload is required every two years - (altho better) even with win2k or xp.
Tuning Windows 2000 professional - Citroënian {P}
Painfully slow PC - if it's slow when you log on or try to browse to something then DNS is broken. Unlikely, but does bring proceedings to a halt if it's ill.

Have a look at the eventlogs

START - Run - eventvwr (press return)

and see if that helps. If anything is dragging it down, then you'll find errors and warnings here, be sure to check each reporting area. You can usually pinpoint the problem by searching Google groups with the error message (and error codes).

You might end up having to edit the registry. Be careful, one slipped DEL and you could properly break your computer.

HTH,
--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
Tuning Windows 2000 professional - bartycrouch
Don't forget to look in task manager and sort items by cpu percentage to see if any application is hogging the machine.

Common issues:

Helper apps like Microsoft findfast (the computer equivalent of a chocolate teapot) in the startup folder.

Misbehaving AV programs

Badly written viruses that don't know how to hide themselves ( these are unlikely to be as helpful as appear in task manager)

Generally defragging will only give a small percentage increase in performance, it is no longer as important as it used to be five or more years ago.
Tuning Windows 2000 professional - Adam {P}
Try using msconfig which helped me a lot a few weeks back. Although I uninstall everything properly, it still tries to start-up accoring the msconfig.

I know that Windows 2000 doesnt' technically have it but you can copy it from a 98 or XP machine. Saves me messing around in the registry to just modify simple things.

Adam
Many thanks everyone for the advice generously given, all of it noted.

Full version of RegClean running on my wife's laptop as I write this. Will post the outcome, and whether I end up following any further steps.

Cheers for now.
Tuning Windows 2000 professional - smokie
I don't see how uninstalled software with orphaned registry entries can affect a system (well, maybe a little at boot up time...).

With disk speeds these days, few disks with sufficient free space will not give noticeably slow performance, even if badly fragmented.

My guess is that there is something hogging. As mentioned above, look at the task list and see what's using the CPU.
Tuning Windows 2000 professional - Welliesorter
One thought: did the defragging get halted before it was finished?

If you stop a defragging part of the pay through you could end up with a more fragmented disk than before you started.
One thought: did the defragging get halted before it was finished?

Thanks for the suggestion, but no, defrag was not interrupted. It ran to normal completion in just under an hour.

Well, you can see by the time of posting that things could be going better. SWMBO is in the land of Nod, and I'm performing heart surgery on the laptop!

Unfortunately, no amount of registry editing did anything to improve performance. It didn't get any worse, and no errors occurred after reboot, but neither did it get any better, despite over 1000 entries having been removed.

Task Manager shows nothing untoward, there being no dodgy looking processes, no duplicated processes like some viruses manifest as, and no rampant CPU usage. On the virus front, Norton Antivirus is bang up to date thanks to Live Update, and a full scan found zilch.

Event Viewer gave thousands of entries, but having grouped them, all proved irrelevant to my problems. Just to be sure, I purged the log, and performed a shutdown and restart. Five new entries appeared, but all were innocent.

I've had enough, so...

Having proven that my CD-ROM is a bootable drive - it is - I would like to format the disk completely, and start again from scratch by upgrading to XP on Saturday.

Because the laptop was purchased second hand from my employer however, I have no diskettes or CDs of any nature for it, and being three years old now, neither do they. Whilst the registry tools were running on SWMBO's laptop, I spent an age this evening trawling the internet for a suitable boot disk, including from Compaq, but drew a blank. By boot disk I mean a disk to boot to A: from where I can format C. I don't mean a boot disk that allows booting from a CD-ROM, coz as I wrote, the BIOS already supports that.

To lean on my kind helpers once more, please can I be advised how to create the bootable floppy I need?

Many thanks again.

Tuning Windows 2000 professional - carl_a
Easiest way is to download a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com/
Tuning Windows 2000 professional - Citroënian {P}
If you've got all your data safe elsewhere and are happy to clean the disk, boot from the XP install disk. Be sure to have passwords & settings for email, Internet, software licence keys safe too.

XP Install gives you the option to reset your partitions before install. Delete the existing partitions, create new one(s) and then XP will ask you to format using a file system.

Unless you're dual-booting 98 (can't think why you would) choose NTFS.

Presto! Clean disk.

Good luck,
--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
You can create a boot disk from Windows itself:

Start>Settings>Control Panel>double click the Add Remove programs icon>click the Startup Disk and create disk.

If you are going to install XP don't forget SP2 (Service Pack 2) - you don't need to worry about SP1 as a) it's incorporated into recent new copies of XP and b) SP2 includes SP1 in any case.

To save a massive download from WindowsUpdate of SP2 when you have installed XP, most computer magazines' coming issues will include it on their cover disks.

Whether you are intending to run a network or not, get XP Pro if possible as it is superior in several areas to XP Home. You may not need the features now but may well in the future.
Thanks for the advice I've just read.

I have indeed purchased XP Professional, but somehow have managed to install it as well as, not instead of, Windows 2000 Professional! Duh. Guess I didn't answer one of the partition questions like I thought I did, as when I now boot, I am asked to choose the o/s I want.

Amazingly, both work: Windows 2000 Professional is still slow as to be expected, but XP Professional is extremely fast, and I have a built desktop and tool bar in next to no time. Everything seems to work, including connection to my Netgear Router.

The downside of course is that the HDD is now very full again, so having proven that I am likely to benefit from a new o/s installation, I'd like to wipe the C drive and start again.

I went to www.bootdisk.com - thank you - and have downloaded several DOS self extracting exes, which one-by-one as each didn't work I have then unpacked on to a floppy. The problem I have is that when booting to the 'A' drive, which every boot disk has successfully done, I can't use the format command: I can type 'FORMAT' or 'FORMAT C' or 'FORMAT C:' but always get the message "Invalid drive specification". What is even more odd is that the backslash key fails to work, so I can't try 'FORMAT C:\'

I'm sorry to ask for more help, but where am I likely going wrong with my boot disk, please?

Thank you as always.
S O R T E D ! :-))

I share what I did below, both to thank those who helped me - cheers guys, I appreciated your time hugely - and hoping that it can save anyone in the future with the same problem, the pain, albeit some self inflicted, that I went through.

After trawling through pages and pages of hits from Google, I came across the following page that had the answer I needed, and which negated the need to reformat:

www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-reformat-winxp/...l

Although the article is aimed at cleaning up a second copy of XP, whereas I had one copy of XP and one of W2K, the principle proved the same. I followed the second of the two options given, namely "Fast but Tricky", and found that as well as being very fast, it was anything but tricky: With care, and sitting by myself with no distraction this time, it was very, very, easy.

I now have a machine with no unwanted clutter on the disk, faster boot-up than it ever had - even when new with OEM Windows 2000 Professional - and lightning fast reactions when any operation is performed on it.

Now to get Norton Antivirus with live update reinstalled, and SWMBO can then get back to her university studies she will use it for.

Cheers!
Forgot to add:

Thankfully, we have ADSL, so SP2 is downloading as I write this.
I'll leave it running for however long it takes, whilst I go and enjoy the motorbike and then a nice glass or two of Chateau Neuf in the garden.
50 minutes to an hour. About 14 hours on dialup...:-)

The 276MB version of SP2 covers all flavours of XP - versions due or already out for Home, Pro etc are about 80MB.
Good to hear..:-)

A couple of small points. AVG's free version of its anti-virus utility (www.grisoft.com) is every bit as good as Norton I've found and, secondly, hard drives are so cheap now that it might be worth using your current one just to act as a backup.

120 to 160 GB hard drives are around £50 to £60 at present and you can even get 200 or 250 GB versions for not all that much more...

I paid £66 for a 6.4 GB HDD four years ago and the same price last year for a 60 GB Western Digital WD600JB - within a fortnight it was offered at the same price in 80 GB form.

The JB by the way indicates that the warranty is for three rather than one year - Western Digital has now altered its warranty conditions and in general HDDs in retail kit form have a one year warranty and OEM versions three years..:-)
Tuning Windows 2000 professional - smokie
I think this is a laptop for which hard drives are less cheap
You are right - long time since I first read the original yesterday...:-)
Downloading Radio Programmes. - Pugugly {P}
SWMBO has discovered this as a feature of net life, she wants to retain some of the stuff by copying onto CDs etc. Is this posssible ? If so how ? I know about copyright etc.
Downloading Radio Programmes. - Stuartli
Software such as www.opcode.co.uk/opd2d/ will let you record what you require to a hard drive and then burn it as required.

There's also streamripper.sourceforge.net/ or, if you have Nero6, a means of recording via the sound card's line in socket (not used such methods so not quite sure - the manual will explain. Easy to download from Nero website).

There are many other software versions and a search popular download websites' audio sections will find them.
Relevant Nero plug-ins:

www.nero.com/en/plugin.html
...and:

www.nero.com/en/631898256492656.html
Downloading Radio Programmes. - Welliesorter
If the programmes are in Realplayer format (they will be if they're on the BBC web site) try rawavrecorder.homestead.com .

I've been using it for over a year with no problems at all.

The only tricky bit is where the player is embedded in a web page. If this is the case, you need to look in the HTML source for a URL ending in .rpm. Copy and paste that into the program and it should work.

If you need to convert the resulting wav files to MP3 (counter-productive if you're creating an audio CD but useful if you're short of space on your hard drive) try cdexos.sourceforge.net .
Downloading Radio Programmes. - pmh
I have tried using this under XP Pro and have sig problems. (I know it is beta and not listed as XP usable.

It does not allow me to choose dest folder.
Resulting wav file when played back is apparently at about half or quarter speed .

Any comments?

pse

pmh (was peter)
I have tried using this under XP Pro and have sig
problems...

Which program do you mean? Several have been mentioned above.

If you mean the programs I mentioned in my post I've had no problems with XP Home.
Downloading Radio Programmes. - pmh
Sorry I should have been clearer! RAWAVrecorder is the program giving me problems.

pmh (was peter)
RAWAVrecorder is the program
giving me problems.

Can't explain that I'm afraid as it always seems fine for me. Under Option - Configurations I have 'Don't resample' selected and the destination path is just wherever I want the resulting wav file to end up.

Passwords - THe Growler
Is there a way of password-protecting a CD-RW? I'm thinking of confidential financial and personal data.
Passwords - Altea Ego
Go one better. Encrypt the data. Password protection is easy to crack, a 128bit cypher key is much harder.

Quick google search on "encrypt a cd" reveals lots of hits one like

www.cypherix.com/cryptainerle/index.htm
Passwords - Dalglish
renault family -

do you know if there is some hidden cost in using cypherix's free cryptainerle? what do they get out of it?
e.g. spyware or adware or anything?

Passwords - Stuartli
Cybertainer appears to be a lite version of its other encryption software - on the lines, for instance, of AVG's free version of AVG Pro. It's a means of bringing such programs to general notice as well as being useful free utilities.

www.cypherix.co.uk/downloads.htm
Passwords - Stuartli
>>Is there a way of password-protecting a CD-RW>>

Yes it can be done - some rewriters come with the means to do so, including some from Plextor.

www.komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=6821

www.liutilities.com/products/winbackup/whitepapers.../

A search through download sites will reveal some freeware examples such as:

www.alwaysfreeware.co.uk/diskutils.html

However, you are better using a CD-R in multisession mode until it is full and then Finalise it rather than CD-RWs.

The reflectivity levels of CD-Rs are far superior to CD-RWs, which can prove troublesome to read for some drives either immediately or in the future.
Passwords - Altea Ego
Stuartli is right CD-RW's are notorious for lack of portability between other PC's and Other drives.
You could also:
prepare all your data on the main PC, write it to a CD R and finalise it. When you need to change it read it back in change it and write it out to a new CDR and finalise it. That way you always have a backup CDR to your last change.

And dont forget, you may be leaving temporary files behind on your PC hard disk that are very easy to get into! Tidy them up if you want complete privacy.
ie icon - Imagos
anyone know how to get internet explorer icon from desktop to the bottom toolbar (rh side by clock) as a shortcut?

thanks..
ie icon - Adam {P}
By the clock? I don't think that's possible. If you mean by the Start Button then simply drag the icon from your desktop next to the start button then you will have a permanent IE shortcut on the start bar.
Adam
ie icon - Imagos
sorry ,, yeah thats what i meant, done it now thanks again
ie icon - Chicken Madras
I just managed to do this by right clicking on the Start Menu bar, choosing Toolbars, deselecting Quick Launch, then repeating the process. My IE icon was on the left by the Start button when I started, it's now by the clock.

I'm using Windows ME (don't laugh!) but maybe this will work in XP or whatever you're using.

Now to work out how to get it back to where it was...!
ie icon - Stuartli
The taskbar (the bottom bar area on the right) is intended to display running utilities - it requires a double click to call something up.

In contrast, the Quick Launch bar - as its name inmplies - is to launch progrms quickly using a single click.
ie icon - Stuartli
As Adski {P} rightly says you can drag and drop a shortcut icon to the Start menu and this also applies to the Quick Launch bar - it also saves having to open Start first if you have programs or browser windows open.
ie icon - Imagos
As Adski {P} rightly says you can drag and drop a
shortcut icon to the Start menu and this also applies to
the Quick Launch bar - it also saves having to open
Start first if you have programs or browser windows open.

yes thats why i wanted it for so could browse web whilst keeping window open on BR for example, all ok now thanks for help..
ie icon - J Bonington Jagworth
"anyone know how to get internet explorer icon from desktop to the bottom.."

Or even how to get rid of it (IE) completely? I know MS made a big song and dance about it being an integral part of Windows (as part of their anti-trust defence) but wasn't that blown out of the water? I don't use IE, and I'd feel my computer was more secure without it...
ie icon - Stuartli
>>Or even how to get rid of it (IE) completely?"

If you have XP you can't - it's there by default. You can disable it though:

support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293907

Other info on subject:

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;3...8

You could sideline IE by using another browser such as Firefox:

www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

but remember that IE is so widespread that you may have problems with some websites, such as online banking services, without using IE.
ie icon - frostbite
"but remember that IE is so widespread that you may have problems with some websites, such as online banking services, without using IE."

That always strikes me as one of today's jokes - you must use what is probably the most insecure browser to access sites where security is most important!

Having said that, I regularly use three different financial institutions using Firefox without any problems.
ie icon - Baskerville
Having said that, I regularly use three different financial institutions using
Firefox without any problems.

Me too. I think the American government's advice not to use IE if you can avoid it may be sinking in, though it was rather like advising us not to jab ourselves in the eye with a pointed stick.

On the very rare occasions where Firefox can't read the badly-written HTML on a particular website, I email the webmaster and usually receive a personal thank-you email back.
ie icon - Stuartli
>>you must use what is probably the most insecure browser to access>>

The only reason it normally proves insecure is because some users either don't known - or dont't care - about properly and regularly configuring and updating Internet Explorer.

I use several financial institutions' websites for personal finance/banking purposes and, in the course of each week, visit many dozens of others.

I've only suffered one virus in the time I've been using a computer in my own home rather than in an office (since 1996) and that was purely my own fault.

There have been a range of complaints in various quarters about problems after installing the latest Windows XP SP2 pack.
Because my system is, to the best of my ability, correctly configured and reguarly updated, the installation of SP2 a fortnight ago has passed without incident.

No drama, no fuss. Just as it should be.
ie icon - Baskerville
Internet Explorer, even with SP2 installed, is vulnerable to an exploit whereby a malicious file is installed on your computer if you use the scrollbar when using certain hacked websites. You wouldn't know it had happened. There is no patch.
ie icon - Dalglish
stuartli, chris r, et.al

mozilla, firefox, linux, internet explorer, microsoft, xp, etc. etc. etc.

stuck in the groove vinyl record.

yawn , yawn , yawn.

way past bedtime for us young ones. goodnight all you adults.

ie icon - Baskerville
stuck in the groove vinyl record.

Glad you're in the groove, but what's a vinyl record?
ie icon - Stuartli
>>is vulnerable to an exploit whereby a malicious file is installed >>

As there are literally billions of websites it is possible to visit, I think I will take my chance as the odds seem very much in my favour I will be safe....:-)

Also I generally only visit websites that I trust.

Providing you take proper precautions i.e. regularly updated anti-virus protection (AVG in my case), S and D 1.3, Ad-aware SE, Spywareblaster, permanently disable Outlook Express's Preview Pane and, among Privacy and Security precautions, enable Block or Prompt Third Party cookies, then there isn't much else that can be done.

It works for me but the main problem, as I stated earlier, is that most people can't or won't be bothered to take the appropriate measures.
ie icon - J Bonington Jagworth
"Just as it should be"

SP2 is a "security placebo" according to The Register:

www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/02/winxpsp2_security.../

The reason I want out of IE is that Opera and Firefox serve me better in all respects (including my banking) and it's just cluttering up my hard drive. Mind you, so is Windows, but that's another story...
AOL. You Have Company. - Dynamic Dave
Friend of mine is on AOL [I know, I did try & warn him o;) ]

Anyway, on the odd occasion he gets new email, instead of getting the usual \"you have mail\" or whatever the phrase is, he gets \"you have company\" blasting out of his speakers instead. Doesn\'t happen all the time though.

Sorry I can\'t elaborate further, he\'s not that computer literate and I\'m just repeating what he\'s told me so far. He went on to tell me he\'s got a firewall (Zonealarm) and virus software (Norton, I think?) installed.

I haven\'t looked at his pc, but to be honest the last time I tried to help out an AOL user, I ended up taking the easy route and re-formatted their harddrive.

Any suggestions?

AOL. You Have Company. - Kuang
That speech sample means that an AOL buddy has come online. Get him to check his messenger program for changes when it happens to see what it's referring to.
AOL. You Have Company. - Dynamic Dave
Sorted.

Silly thing is I use Google all the time to find things. God knows why I didn't this time. Typed in "you've got company" AOL and got the answer straight away.
Transfer data: Old to new computer - Dulwich Estate
The computer I use for work - using only simple stuff: Word, Excel and email is getting tired and is running out of hard drive storage, is getting slower and uses Win 98. After much deleting and defragging it's now time to get a new one.

How do I transfer data/programs to it?

I've got back ups of my work on CDs so that shoudn't be a problem, but what about my anti-virus prog with all its updates, firewall and updates, Internet stuff etc.

Is a USB to USB using a cable the way?

All suggestions welcomed.
Transfer data: Old to new computer - J Bonington Jagworth
"it's now time to get a new one"

A new hard drive, or a new computer? If the former, a disc clone program such as Ghost will be the simplest solution, but if the latter (which will almost certainly come with XP) then you would be better off just transferring the data from your CD's and reinstalling the programs. The file structure on XP is more complex (My Documents is buried in Documents and Settings, for instance). There may be shortcuts for the AV and other stuff, but I suspect that you will end up recreating them.

If you're undecided, I'd try a new HD first - it should extend the life of your computer and you can always add it as a backup drive to any new machine you get subsequently.
Transfer data: Old to new computer - Dynamic Dave
In the System Tools Menu on WinXP there is a "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" Apparantely you just need to hook up a cable between the old/new pc.
Transfer data: Old to new computer - Mark (RLBS)
and make sure you have a note of *all* usernames/passwords & registrations before you start.
"Apparently you just need to hook up a cable between the old/new pc."

I'm not sure I believe that...
"Apparently you just need to hook up a cable between the
old/new pc."
I'm not sure I believe that...

Well that's what it says in the help files.
Transfer data: Old to new computer - Dalglish
dulwich estate -

for some answers, i suggest you look at the "bootcamp archive" at
www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/index.jhtml
(index on left of that page, click on bootcamp, then on new page click on archive).
articles 309 - 311 are relevant for e-mails.

I think it's time for a new machine rather than just more storage space. It's around 4+ years old with a "massive" 6GB memory of which 200Mb left. I could get an external HD drive but think a new machine would be preferable.

Dell are doing a basic one at £379 (£322 + VAT) which has so much more oooommph than my office one so it's tempting.

But I really don't want to spend days and days swearing/cursing and trying and failing to get it all to work properly. If I load on my original ISP disc, anti-virius and firewall discs what happens to all the updates?

I'll think on the external drive idea and at the same time read up on all your advice about transfering.

Transfer data: Old to new computer - frostbite
6GB memory of which 200Mb left

That's almost certainly the reason why it's slow - I would pop in an additional HD and transfer as much as possible to it, leaving at least 1.5Gb free on the original.
Transfer data: Old to new computer - Stuartli
This Microsoft page describes how to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard - it's also included in Help and Support in XP.

You can transfer data and personal setttings (except passwords) along with specific files or entire folders such as My Documents, My Pictures and Favourites, plus Internet browser, e-mail settings, personal display properties, folder and taskbar options.

If you install and configure Windows XP on the new hard drive first, then you can use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to migrate data from your old hard drive, but you won't be able to move programs.

Normally, the easiest way to transfer files from one hard disk to another is to put both drives in the same PC. Hard drive cables usually have two connectors.

If you plus a second drive onto the same cable the jumper on it has to be changed from master to slave. PCs usually have two drive cables. You can use the second one, even if that requires unplugging it from the CD/DVD drive.

You will also, in either case, have to plug a power connector into the drive. You don't have to fit the drive inside the PC. Just close enough for the cables to reach, and with something insulating underneath it.

Don't forget that if your new XP hard drive is formatted in NTFS then you will have some problems because the Windows 98 hard drive is most likely formatted in FAT32.

Normally these two file systems will not work together, but there are some programs out there that will help you out. There is a program called NTFS for Windows98 which allows Windows 98 computers to access a NTFS partition, but I don't know if it works the other way.

However, I believe XP home edition is FAT32, not NTFS - I have XP Pro.

Sorry, missed out the Microsoft link:

tinyurl.com/2or8z
Transfer data: Old to new computer - Baskerville
XP-Pro will read Fat32 partitions, but you will have all the defragmentation nightmares associated with FAT32. I used to have a FAT32 partition in between my ReiserFS (Linux) partition and the (Windows) NTFS partition because XP can't read the Linux side (Linux of course can read the NTFS side, but can't yet write to it reliably). Are you sure XP-Home only uses FAT32? I thought the whole point of XP was that it was built on Windows NT (as in NT-FS).
>>I thought the whole point of XP was that it was built on Windows NT (as in NT-FS).>>

NTFS was first introduced with Windows NT but XP supports both, just as with Windows 2000.

XP's file system of choice is NTFS but, if you upgrade to XP and disks are still formatted with FAT32, you can still acquire NTFS without losing data on the drives by using a convert command at the command prompt.

This process converts the disk volume to NTFS while still retaining all information, is easy to do and there is a How To box to demonstrate what to do.

Yes I know the history of it and as I said in my post I know XP will read/write to FAT32, but what are you saying? Will XP Home only use FAT32 or not--do you have to upgrade to Pro to use NTFS? If I buy a new computer with XP Home on it will the disk be formatted as FAT32? As I say, that would come as a big surprise to me.
I was relying on memory - always dangerous at my age...:-(

I thought I had made clear afterward that XP, whether Home or Pro, supports both FAT32 and NTFS.
If I load on my original ISP disc, anti-virus and firewall
discs what happens to all the updates?

What brands are they? If your firewall is Zonealarm, it'll tell you if it's out of date once you've installed it and hooked up to the net. it will then direct you to their website to download the latest version.
Noticed you are now thinking of a new machine - the Microsoft piece describes the nine-pin null modem serial cable required to connect two machines.

The easiest way to deal with AV programs is to reinstall if you have the disk and burn the definitions files to a CD-R or CD-RW disk and reinstall them once running.

ZoneAlarm, if you have it, can be re-downloaded (latest version is 5.1.011.000) when you get going - an update, in this case, to the latest version is only every few months or so. Previous recent versions will work just as well. Again you could burn the folder to a disk.
I'm currently doing exactly the kind of work you describe on a machine that was thrown out by my wife's employer. The purchase date stamp on the back says it was new in 1999, but it is just fine for office work, Internet, and email, if a little slow to start up in the morning (who isn't?). I've added a bigger hard-drive, and a network card and that's it. Unless you're really set on a new machine I wouldn't chuck it out just yet. It might even be worth paying someone to sort it out for you--certainly much less than a new machine.

Even if you do get a new machine, the old one has plenty of life left as a file server, firewall, even a network router.

Oh! The more responses I get, the worse it all sounds to get and then load up a new machine. I'll keep on reading, keep on following your leads and thinking hard.

The easy "do nothing option" has been pretty succesful for the past 6 months or so but not for much longer.

BTW Symantec does both anti-virus and firewall.
>>BTW Symantec does both anti-virus and firewall.>>

Why pay for something when AVG Personal (www.grisoft.com) and ZoneAlarm (free version) do all that is required?

All AVG requires is to check daily for updates, which are currently running at one or two daily. Damn those virus etc writers.

Once ZoneAlarm is properly configured you can virtually forget it - even installing the updated versions two, perhaps three, times a year carries over your present settings. Far superior too to XP's firewall, even though it's been upgraded via SP2.
Transfer data: Old to new computer - smokie
If your new machine has XP and your old one doesn't, it's also conceivable that you will need new versions of your programs which are XP friendly. Although you can run some programs in compatibility mode, some programs not designed for it simply will not run (or install) on XP.

If you are happy with your existing operating system you could always overwrite your new system with your old one with, as mentioned above, Ghost or a similar tool. But really I would think XP is preferable, even if it causes some short term pain.
All my old programs - and some are quite old(!) - run fine on XP Pro.

There is a Program Compatibility feature in XP.

Microsoft guidance for any problems with SP2 also installed here:

tinyurl.com/bj8d

tinyurl.com/44gxg

tinyurl.com/5oog3
Transfer data: Old to new computer - smokie
Not all my old programs would even install on XP.

I mentioned the compatibility, but what if the installation won't even complete?

And some of those which I run in compatibility do not always run as they were intended.
I notice you (Dulwich) mention an external hard drive. An internal one will be cheaper to buy (40Gb about £40) and much faster. If you haven't room or inclination to install both, use Ghost or similar to copy entire contents of old to new (with new as Slave), remove old and set new to Master. Job done.
An internal one will be cheaper to buy (40Gb about £40) and much
faster. If you haven't room or inclination to install both, use
Ghost or similar to copy entire contents of old to new
(with new as Slave), remove old and set new to Master.
Job done.

Knowing how I go about things "Job done" won't happen quite as easily as that, but this is the best idea yet for my circumstances. Will investigate space / slot on front and inside box and report back.