Computer related questions. Volume 26 - Dynamic Dave

******** This thread now closed. Please see Volume 27 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25596

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 26. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please \"Reply to\" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it\'s own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Installing a UK keyboard driver - Clanger
I have just bought a second-hand Win 98SE laptop for No2 daughter to take to uni. It is set to use English US keyboard but I would like to change it to English UK. I have downloaded a kbduk.kbd driver from the web but I can't get it to install. Even though I browse to the correct location of the file I downloaded, it still says the file can't be found when I go into settings and change to a UK keyboard.

Naturally, I am not organised enough to have a working CD drive and a copy of Win 98SE system disk.

Anyone any ideas?

TIA
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Installing a UK keyboard driver - frostbite
Pure guess (as usual)

Does the file need to be in the same folder as the current one?
Installing a UK keyboard driver - IanT
1. The correct keyboard file for Win98SE should be in Windows\\\\System, and appears in Explorer as:

Kbduk.kbd 1K KBD File 23/04/1999 22:22
(Actually 433 bytes)

2. Install the driver from floppy disk (or C:\\\\Windows\\\\System) as follows:

Control Panel
Keyboard
Language
Properties
Click the down arrow alongside the current keyboard layout (presumably United States) and select British.
OK
OK
Don\'t insert the Win98SE CD when prompted (because you haven\'t got one).
OK
When system prompts \"Copy Files From\", overtype the default with \"A:\\\\\" (or C:\\\\Windows\\\\System) & press Enter.
Job Done.

Ian
Installing a UK keyboard driver - IanT
The web site automatically deleted several backslashes in my previous message, but I think the deletions are obvious so I\'ll just leave it.

Ian

{I think I\'ve edited them all in. To get around the problem, I entered the backslash twice. The site deletes the 1st one, but misses the second one. DD}
Installing a UK keyboard driver - Clanger
Many thanks for the advice.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Windows SP2 slows start up - malteser
I installed Windows SP2\" last night with no apparent problems
As I use my own anti virus and firewall programs I have turned off the Windows firewall and disabled anti virus program monitoring.
When I start Windows, my Zone Alarm Pro and Panda anti virus now take for EVER to load up. Once loaded they work perfectly.
Is this by design or is there a fix?

--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
Windows SP2 slows start up - Welliesorter
...disabled anti virus program monitoring.

>>

Why? The Windows Security Centre doesn't replace your anti-virus software. It just tells you whether it's working and up-to-date. It doesn't activate the Windows firewall if you already have one of your own. I've also noticed that ZoneAlarm deactivates the Windows firewall by default.

Just a guess, but it might be worth playing with these settings. Could it be that Windows looks for the anti-virus program every time it starts?
Windows SP2 slows start up - Stuartli
Windows XP SP2 doesn't have an AV program and, because it does not have a scanner, it may not recognise your AV program.

In the Security Center click on the Recommendations button under Virus Protection where you will be informed if AV is installed or not; more likely you will want to choose the option to monitor AV yourself.

You can enable/disable Windows XP's new firewall (selected by default) with a single click - it is almost certainly better to use ZoneAlarm or similar and disable the XP version. It should inform you via a "talk balloon" if your usual firewall is not activated.

The XP Firewall settings can be configured, if you wish to keep it enabled, from Control Panel; there are General, Exceptions and Advanced tabs.

Pop-ups can be controlled from Internet Explorer>Tools>Privacy tab. The pop-ups can be blocked or allowed as desired at the bottom of the tab - it will also control JavaScripts if desired.

Outlook Express has an Attachment Execution Service (AES) which checks out files sent with e-mail. If you attempt to open an attachment you will be asked, via a header, if you wish to continue? To do so, knowing the source is reliable, just click on the header.

I've been using SP2 for more than a fortnight. Everything works exactly as before and ZoneAlarm and AVG load up just as quickly.

If you do decide to install it, first close all running programs including those in the System Tray and then create a System Restore point. If you have problems after installing SP2 and you cannot cure them via troubleshooting advice at www.microsoft.com you can uninstall SP2 from Add/Remove Programs and use the System Restore point.

Most of the computer magazines released this month (usually the November edition) include SP2 on the cover disk; much easier than a download if you have dialup...:-)
Windows XP System Restore problem. - kithmo
I have a problem with Windows XP System Restore. A few weeks ago I was informed by Norton AV virus alerts that I had the W32.pinfi virus in one of the subdirectories of the mydocuments folder and NAV could not remove it. So I followed Symantec\'s instructions from their website to remove it. This involved turning off System Restore and deleting all previous restore points then running a full system check to delete any further existences of the virus. The problem I now have is that System Restore no longer works. I cannot turn it back on, so I cannot create a new restore point. When I attempt to turn it back on the PC hangs, the hourglass is whirling away but nothing is happening and I can\'t open any other programs (even task manager) or turn the PC off via the start menu (I left it for 30 mins one time before killing the power). Am I missing a file here or do I have to re-install XP to get system retore back. The PC is performing faultlessly otherwise.
Windows XP System Restore problem. - smokie
Not a straight answer, but I decided against using Restore Points on my computer. From memory, this was because it is only keeping track of changes to certain significant parts of your system (e.g. the registry) so if I ever needed to restore I would still have to bring it back up to date anyway. I stick with a good old fashioned backup once in a while. When my system was trashed a while back, I had all my \"volatile\" data backed up so I just did a clean install which did me some other favours too.

Back to your question...

This text

\"View the event logs to investigate System Restore service errors. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
Click Administrative Tools, click Computer Management, double-click Event Viewer, and then click System.
Click the Source tab to sort by name, and then look for \"sr\" or \"srservice.\" Double-click each of these services, and then evaluate the event description for any indication of the cause of the problem.\"

is from this TechNet article

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3...p

and may be of some help
Windows XP System Restore problem. - Stuartli
This piece about System Restore may prove of interest to you and perhaps bring a reappraisal of your approach:

tinyurl.com/3szyu
Windows XP System Restore problem. - smokie
Interesting, I probably had some misunderstandings (mind you it says it supplements rather than replaces a backup).

I will turn it back on and have a play.
Windows XP System Restore problem. - Stuartli
The key value of System Restore is that you can go back to a known fully functional XP system - such as before a program or application installation that unexpectedly goes wrong.

It's also the reason, for instance, that you do a System Restore just before installing SP2 (as well as close down all running processes); SP2 can be removed from Add/Remove Programs if required after using the System Restore point.

I've only had to use System Restore once in a year's use of XP Pro but it saved a considerable amount of unnecessary work.

There are also "system restore" points in earlier versions, including Windows98SE, which to many people comes as somewhat of a surprise.
Broadband ISP - Mike H
I've been with Tiscali since its Lineone days, ever since I got my first computer back six or seven years. When we got broadband, I stuck with Tiscali as it was the easiest option - avoided changing my email address. However, I have to say it doesn't seem particularly speedy, and my son complains of lag and poor pings when he's playing his online games. I'm well aware of the way ADSL works and the contention ratios etc. which I guess may be part of the problem.

I'm considering changing ISPs having compled my 12-month contract with Tiscali. I've checked previous threads on this forum, and also looked at adslguide.org.uk. I know that Tiscali isn't particularly well thought of, although personally, apart from the apparent slowness and the help desk being a waste of space (rarely used), I haven't had any problems with them.

I'm considering going with Pipex or Demon. My question is, can I have two broadband accounts active at the same time? I'm assuming that, as with dialup, I just make the relevant connection. The reason is that I'd like to run them both concurrently for a month.
Broadband ISP - Mike H
Sorry mods, thought I was adding this to the "Computer Related Questions" thread, could you perhaps move? Ta!
Broadband ISP - Stargazer {P}
Mike,

No you cannot run both in parallel.....the asdl part is present on your line 24/7 all the way back to the ISP, you will have to transfer your account fully. You will need a MAC number from tiscali and give this to your chosen new ISP.

StarGazer

ps recommend freedom 2 surf

Broadband ISP - patently
can I have two broadband accounts active at the same time?

Only 1 broadband account can exist per telephone line.

I know, I asked Pipex for broadband, but was told that BT had said I was too far away. So I asked BT Broadband instead - hey presto, broadband! Then I tried to change to Pipex because (a) BT was more expensive & (b) BT didn' provide email, web space, etc etc.

Utter nightmare. Pipex couldn't accept the order until BT's database showed that there was no ADSL service on the line. BT didn't believe that their own contract said in black & white that I could cancel; when they finally did, it took ages for them to actually do it. Even then, it took days for the database to realise this.... and so on.

It is in theory possible to arrange for an uninterrupted transfer of service, although BT refused to do so because they didn't like me* so I can't comment on that.

---------------------
*their explanation was more technical, but it boiled down to that.
Broadband ISP - David Horn
Yup, just ring your chosen new ISP and get them to sort it out for you. ;)

You shouldn't need to give them any more details other than your phone number. (MAC addresses are used to identify network components - they shouldn't ask you for it.)

I use Pipex, who are a cracking company. Also, there are now no distance limits on broadband exchanges, so there will be no problems there. Just bear in mind that if you got a free modem / connection etc with your first broadband company, you may still be under a contract with them.
Broadband ISP - Marky Mark
MAC code = Migration Authorisation Code & is provided by your current ISP so they will need it (in this context, not the same as the MAC address used in networking etc).

Migration should now be much easier (as longer as you are moving to a like for like product) & many ISP's don't charge (eg Plusnet). There are still distance/line noise limits - but if you previously had 512k service you will most likely be able to get the 1mbp service - still need low line noise/distance to receive 2mbp service. Check out www.adslguide.org for comparisons etc.

MM
Broadband ISP - Baskerville
I can thoroughly recommend Demon. Their service is extremely reliable and on the one occasion I've had cause to call their tech support they were terrific (standard national rate call too). The fault turned out to be on the phone extension in the house. They also do a fax-to email service as part of the standard deal which gives you your own unique fax number--faxes are received by email wherever you happen to be. They are not the cheapest but they have been very very good indeed in the year or so that I've been with them. Previously NTL, which says it all I think.
Broadband ISP - midlifecrisis
I've recently signed up with Pipex, on the recommendation of my Brother in Law. He's an IT manager, travelling worldwide (he's good at his job.) Pipex aren't well known (although there customer base is growing.) Hence there is no problems connecting. So far, never had a problem.
Broadband ISP - daveyK_UK
im with nildram

very cheap

very fast

never had any problems

claim to be the fastest in the UK
Broadband ISP - Stuartli
I'm with both Pipex (since 1996) and Tiscali (since WorldOnline days from 1999), both dialup.

Pipex is one of the UK's biggest business Internet service providers and has been at the forefront of ISP service and technology since 1991 - it also caters for domestic customers just as well and that includes its broadband service.

You'll find a visit to its website well worthwhile and you'll also find details of how to split your Internet account use between business and home at special rates in certain cases.

Broadband ISP - blinky
Also with Pipex, very good. Nildram have just been bought by Pipex. Nildram is popular with gamers as the host the Jolt servers.
Broadband ISP - LongDriver {P}
/me waits for a Mod to get the scissors out and dispatch this to the Computer-related thread...
Broadband ISP - LongDriver {P}
Nothing wrong with BT Broadband in my opinion. My 1MB connection is excellent. I've been with BT for over 2 years.

At work we use Demon and they don't appear to be any better.

Tiscali and AOL, amongst others, simpy re-sell the BT product, so won't be any different.
Broadband ISP - PatrickO
Telewest have the fastest connection out and give you a 3mb pipe for the price of 2mb. Nice. May not be available your neck of the woods though.
Broadband ISP - cheddar
Many ISP's resell the BT Wholesale product though offer a very different service to BT Broadband. Plusnet, Eclipse etc add a lot of value plus offer a wide range of products based on speed, contention and usage.

Have a look at:

www.adslguide.org.uk/

Regards.

Broadband ISP - Altea Ego
Everyone who asks me, I always say PIPEX. Consistently one of the best.
Broadband ISP - Stuartli
>>me waits for a Mod to get the scissors out and dispatch this to the Computer-related thread...>>

Seems like you require a new pair of reading glasses...:-)
Norton Internet Security 2004 - budu
I have recently installed this. It works well but the Parental Control facility blocks business sites I use, so I have turned this off. However, I keep getting the message "Saving Parental Control list, please wait.." The list loads but never completely. While it is loading, all other functions are blocked and I can't click out of the window. How can I get rid of this nuisance? I can't find anything relevant on the Symantec website but then, I never can!
Norton Internet Security 2004 - Stuartli
>>I can't find anything relevant on the Symantec website but then, I never can!>>

tinyurl.com/4gc4g
Norton Internet Security 2004 - budu
Many thanks, Stuartli, for this useful link.
Broadband Security - Robin Reliant
Have just signed to upgrade from Tiscali's dial-up service to Broadband now that the local exchange has replaced their tin cans and string phone service with something vaguely modern.

The bits and pieces have been promised to arrive in the next few days, and I am a bit concerned with the security of my system now that I will have the always on connection with broadband. I am using the free version of AVG at the mo which I update regularly, and also Spybot. I just have the built in XP firewall.

Is that combination ok, or should I look for something a bit better? Ta in advance for any suggestions.
Broadband Security - Davy_S {P}
Hi Tom, IMHO Zone Labs firewall is very good and best of all free. It is quite a big file 5.6Mb but it available on some magazine coverdisks.

Find more info here:-
www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/zn...p

--
Davy S.

Oops, where did that screw go!!
Broadband Security - maz64
Hi Tom - I use and would recommend Sygate's free Personal Firewall:

smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

Haven't tried ZoneAlarm.

John
Broadband Security - Stuartli
ZoneAlarm Personal does everything one could ask of a firewall and is also superior to XP's own version, even that in SP2 - disable the XP version once you have a third party version.

Apart from S and D 1.3, you should also include Ad-aware SE (now in 1.05 version) and SpywareBlaster (this works in the background to stop spybots); it's also important to update such utilities on a consistent and frequent basis. AVG in particular often has two updates a day.

Another keyboard question! - malteser
I've just done a clean install of XP (with SP2 streamlined into it).
Problem is, my keyboard settings are in a pickle! I think I must have specified the wrong keyboard layout during installation as to get the "@" sign I have to use Shift and 2, There are a few other anomalies such as the " sign being created by Shift and @ !
I have tried to find out where I can reset the keyboard parameters to the standard UK settings but have failed. The "Keyboard" function in Control Panel isn't it, I know!
Any help please?
--
Another keyboard question! - Adam {P}
Rog,
DO you have an "EN" somewhere in the task bar? If so, right click, settings, and it should all become obvious.
Adam
Another keyboard question! - Altea Ego
Control panel, regional and languages icon (its a globe)
Sorry - I'm thinking of 2000 (which is what I'm running).

Two bits of duff advice in one weekend. I'll stop now.
Adam
Another keyboard question! - Citroënian {P}
Nope, it's there in XP.

Anyhow, if you want to follow this route, click on the EN. If it's not there you can right click on the start bar, select toolbars and enable Language bar to get to it.

I hate it myself(!) but it is there and will do want you want.

Adski, that's only one duffer this weekend, good advice on the EN!
--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
Oh good. I'm only half an idiot.

Cheers Lee!
Adam
Sorry can that. I answered the right question on the wrong web site!

Oh for an edit button
Control panel, (its a globe) / languages / details and you can fiddle with keyboards from there
Another keyboard question! - Sooty Tailpipes
I think in Control Panel>Regional & Language Options>Advanced>Code Page Conversion Tables
you have a (Mac) Keyboard layout selected.
Another keyboard question! - Welliesorter
My boss asked me to sort out this problem on a laptop running XP. I thought it would be ridiculously easy to fix. After 40 minutes of fiddling with regional and keyboard settings, I eventually solved it by clicking on the aforementioned language bar, selecting British English and removing the ability to use US settings.
Another keyboard question! - malteser
Thanks for the advice! It took a bit of fiddling to restore the language bar - asking the toolbar to show it didn't work, but once there the fix worked and I am now back to a UK keyboard!
LOOK - @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; :)
another little problem follows!
--
Another keyboard question! - Stargazer {P}
Thnaks all for the tips on keyboards....mine was set to English (UK) on setup and reported this fact but I always got the various symbols wrong (ie @ instead of " ). With your helpful hints I got the text services dialogue box and it had the default of english (US) which I then changed.

Why oh why cant the setup process sort this out correctly?

Thanks again

Ian L

Boot order. - malteser
Is there a way to alter the boot order of start up items?
I have an ADSL connection which starts with windows and it comes alive BEFORE my Zone Alarm & AV program.
The traffic arrows are flashing before ZA is running and I think that creates a window of opportunity for unwanted intrusions.
What do you think?
--
Boot order. - Citroënian {P}
If you're running XP SP2, the firewall becomes active before most everything else. Might not be the solution for you if you prefer ZoneAlarm though, and doesn't help with AV either.

I'd be interested to see if you can change the order - maybe manually (boo!) disabling the internet connection in the taskbar (right click - disable) might help until you're ready to run it on the next boot.

The time delays involved shouldn't be significant, although I agree that theoretically it might be too late once a connection is established.

--
Lee
Boot order. - Stuartli
>>I think that creates a window of opportunity for unwanted intrusions.>>

Each time you connect to your ISP you receive a different dynamic rather than static IP address - the chances of creating "a window of opportunity for unwanted intrustions" is nothing to worry about.
Boot order. - Stuartli
I've noticed you have an ADSL connection )the above still applies) - perhaps a read of Microsoft's advice on the subject may help:

www.bcentral.co.uk/issues/security/basics/securead...x
Boot order. - Baskerville
MS changed the boot order for their firewall with SP2 because of this. It now starts much earlier than the old one did. It's more of a problem with ADSL than with dial-up because many ISPs give you a fixed IP address, but in any case outgoing traffic can leave as soon as the connection is made--sadly even with the MS firewall running. My solution to this in Windows (before I had a separate dedicated firewall) was not to start the connection at boot. It only takes a few seconds to connect anyway.
Boot order. - smokie
For peace of mind I would always suggest a hardware firewall (broadband router).

www.cclcomputers.co.uk have a D-Link D604 for £26.89, which has 4 ports so you could run more than one computer on the internet at the same time.
Boot order. - Stargazer {P}
I would concur with this. I have an ASDL modem/router/hardware firewall and wireless access point all in a single box the size of a think paperback book. On powerup it sorts its firewall out and then automatically logs into my ISP. Usually well before the main home computer boots up. As a bonus if I have my work laptop at home I simply switch it on and can access my work computers or simply use the scanner and printer attached to the other computer.

StarGazer
Noisy Hard Drive - pete&hisgolf
My Hewlett Packard PC is 2 months old. The hard drive has made an intermittent mild grinding/clicking noise from day 1. The only time the noise is constant is when doing something like a disk defrag, so I assumed it was a hard drive problem rather than the fan. An engineer called today and replaced the old drive (a Seagate) under warranty - he said the noise sounded like the bearings.

At first the new drive (a Maxtor) was fine, but within a couple of hours it has started making a similar noise, again only intermittently except when doing a defrag or virus scan (when it becomes more constant). Am I just unlucky? My previous (7 year old) never made a noise, but are modern PCs louder?
Noisy Hard Drive - Citroënian {P}
They can make some odd noises when working healthily, but if you're getting the same sound with a new drive as with the broken one it sounds like you may be unlucky.

Newer drives are louder than old ones. Might be worth checking out a friend/relatives new PC and comparing noises or taking a trip to PC World to compare.

HTH,

--
Lee
Noisy Hard Drive - Welliesorter
In my experience hard drive noise just depends on the luck of the draw and the design of the PC case. My Dell PC came with an extremely noisy (loud enough to hear from downstairs) Quantum Fireball drive. Older Dell Dimensions are particularly bad for noise because the main hard drive is positioned on its end, next to a vent, flat against the front of the case. I know a noisy drive can be a sign of a fault but this one is still going strong after four years. It was annoying me so much that I eventually bought a Samsung drive to use as my main one and this was specifically sold as being quiet.

I've found newer PCs (including the newish HP Pavilions several friends have) to be quieter than old ones. Noise levels are often commented on in magazine reviews now and many components are sold as being designed for quietness.

Anyone obsessed with reducing noise might want to take a look at www.quietpc.com/ .
Adding an extra hard drive. - THe Growler
I have been given a brand new Maxtor internal 40Gb hard drive. I would like to use it as a backup disc. However there are no instructions with it so have no idea how to do this.

Any advice much appreciated.
Adding an extra hard drive. - smokie
Let\'s get it into your computer and working, once it\'s there we can sort out what you want to back up and how to do it.

1) On the disk, check the jumper (little white or black plastic piece with two holes near the power connection, which joins two pins - depending on which two pins it is joining makes it Master or Slave) is set to slave. Often there is a picture on the drive which tells you which two pins you need to cover for each function, if not find the drive model number and visit the Maxtor web page

2) Ensure you know how to enter the BIOS (setup) on your computer - often this is by pressing the Delete button during start up.

3) With the mains unplugged, open your computer and look for a wide, usually grey, cable. Make sure it has a spare connector. Also look for a spare power plug (flat white plastic with four holes). If you are short of either of these then you will need to buy 1) a 2 port IDE disk cable and/or 2) a power extender, neither of which are dear

4) Your computer should have a spare position to fit the disk, you will need 4 screws to hold it in place.

5) Fit the disk - note the power and IDE cable should only fit in one way round. If your data cable fits either way, then you will need to inspect your new drive - somewhere near where the cable plugs in, the rows of pins will have a number at each end (usually 1 and 40) - the red edge of the cable needs to go to end 1

6) Boot up the computer and go into your BIOS. It may have automatically detected the new disk or you may need to set the BIOS to automatically detect the disk. To do this, usually you would select the Slave disk immediately under your existing disk, press enter and use the Arrow keys to scroll up and down the list to set to Automatically Detect.

Once you have done this, reboot the system and report back!

Having typed all this, I\'ve also found a guide whic might also be of help at www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1059&pag...1

Adding an extra hard drive. - THe Growler
Many thanks indeed. I will await tomorrow morning to allow the brain cell to regenerate after its usual evening sufficiency of the Long Flat Merlot, and shall indeed report back. I\'m relieve to note I don\'t need any torque wrenches, mole grips or other sensitive tools for the process, nor should I get skinned knuckles!

I have a Pentium 4 2.66 with 512 ram and 60Gb bought about 7 months ago, so I hope this will be OK.
Adding an extra hard drive. - patently
nor should I get skinned knuckles!

Actually, it is horribly easy to do this inside a PC case!
I don\'t need any torque wrenches, mole grips

Although I find I often want to use one on a PC, even if I don\'t need to...
Adding an extra hard drive. - frostbite
Lots of excellent advice there.......unless it's a SCSI drive!

Don't worry about it - probably won't be.
Adding an extra hard drive. - frostbite
PS As and when you have it installed, you may want to partition it.

If so, I can recommend 'DiscWizard' which is child's play and IIRC available (free) from the Seagate site.
Norton System Works, Cleansweep - rory
This concerns Norton System Works, CleanSweep facility. No matter how many times I use it it always leaves a residue, one that gradually grows with internet use. Looking at the settings box seems to indicate that it's "internet history" which I find strange since, at the same time I'm also deleting cookies etc.
Norton System Works, Cleansweep - Dalglish
.. it always leaves a residue, one that gradually grows with
internet use. Looking at the settings box seems to indicate
that it's "internet history" ..

>>

dont know about cleansweep, but you are right. it will be the index.dat file that keeps growing. you need "special" tools/software to remove this history. google search will help.

Norton System Works, Cleansweep - Stuartli
Do you mean your websites' visits History?

If so, go to IE Tools>Internet Options>and then History at the bottom of the panel.

You can set History to retain URLs for a day or as long as you wish or just delete it.
Norton System Works, Cleansweep - Dalglish
Do you mean your websites' visits History? ....
.... wish or just delete it.

>>

search google for "index.dat deleting" to learn how to remove all history.

eg.

"Index.dat Viewer License: Freeware
A tool to view your index.dat files. In case you don't know what these files are, they are files where Windows secretely store information about your browsing habits. Just download the app to see what they store there. You will be surprised."

or

"All your Internet traces are logged to index.dat files and deleting Cache, Cookies and History does not delete index.dat files."

or

"http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2003/
09/24/ecrboot23.xml

.. web browsers like Internet Explorer routinely log details of the websites you've visited and the information is clearly shown in browser 'History' and if you care to look, in the Temporary Internet Files folder, which stores images downloaded from websites. You may also know that these files can be purged, but what you may not realise is that details of every website you have ever visited, possibly since the day you first switched on your computer, is stored in a number of hidden files that cannot be accessed, viewed or deleted by any conventional means ...
... ... I've been recommending an excellent little freeware program called ...."

Norton System Works, Cleansweep - rory
Many thanks for this. Index.dat does exactly 'what it says on the tin'
Windows Explorer problem - BazzaBear {P}
As in the file system, not the internet explorer.
It won't run for some reason. When I click on my documents, for example, the frame of a window appears, but then disappears, taking my taskbar with it, all that's left on screen is my background, and any window that happens to be open.
then there's a slight pause and the taskbar comes back.
Working on the theory of a virus ir spyware, I have run these programs:

AVG anti-virus
Spybot search & destroy
Ad-aware

Which found several things and fixed them, but it hasn't sorted the problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this? thanks for any help.
Windows Explorer problem - frostbite
Sounds like a component of Explorer has failed and it needs reinstalling.

I have not used Explorer since discovering Power Desk several years ago - far superior and free.
Windows Explorer problem - BazzaBear {P}
I seem to have fixed it now anyway, dunno what it was that did so. I removed a program I didn't recognise from my startup folder, and another one from the 'add/remove programs' list.

Powerdesk, eh?
I've never been a great fan of windows explorer, and used to use Norton Commander on 98 and ME. The XP version of commander is terrible though, don't know what they were thinking. They're removed all the most user-friendly parts of it.
What is powerdesk like?
Windows Explorer problem - frostbite
"What is powerdesk like?"

Not within my capabilities to answer that, aside from 'good'.

It used to come from Ontrack but seems to have been taken over by another company and V6 is not free. (I use v5)

Have a look at www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,3...p

All is explained and there is a link to download it.
VPN connection terminated over wireless - SjB {P}
I've hunted the web high and low for an answer to this, including some excellent Cisco VPN help files, but am still stuck, and hope a fellow BRer can help, please.

In essence, for some time I have used a Compaq Armada E500 with ELSA Airlan 802.11b card to successfully connect to my Netgear DG834G wireless router. Neither wireless or ADSL connectivity ever dropped out, and neither did my Cisco VPN tunnel to the office. Perfect service.

A few weeks ago however, I switched to a Toshiba Tecra S1 with built in 802.11b/g wireless card that I successfully use to connect to the same router, the set up of which remains unchanged beyond allowing the new laptop MAC address to connect to the network.

Whilst wireless connectivity appears to remain rock solid - because web browsing remains so at all times - I am getting a high incidence of VPN terminations: Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client

The problem is either 'solved' by rebooting the laptop (usually twice) or, interestingly, by plugging in an ethernet cable. The latter words first time every time, without needing a reboot. I am therefore convinced that the problem is wireless related.

MTU is set to the recommended value of 1300, the laptop is just 18" from the router, and I'm out of ideas to check. I have just enabled the Cisco client log, but any advice of how to interpret what I read, or what to check, would be much appreciated, please.

Many thanks.
VPN connection terminated over wireless - Altea Ego
Well done SjB, you have just hit the number one terror of networking - VPN Tunneling............. (mine is working fine BTW!!!)

G? 802.11g? try forcing your connection down to 802.11b, it could be the 54mb "g" bit it doesent like, but does on 11mb "b"

802.11g is not properly universally implemented, and only works 100% reliably when you match manufacturers (ie Netgear router, netgear card)

You dont 54mbs anyway, your ADSL pipe is maxed out at 2mb.
VPN connection terminated over wireless - smokie
Are you saying that when you get Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client you can still browse the net??? Shorely not???

What is the other end of the ethernet cable attached to?

I think RF is barking up the right tree. When (if) you get something from the log, by all means post it up. But I'd guess there are technical forums which may provide more assistance than we can!

(I have some Cisco techies at work, if there is someting tangible I can send to them, I will)
Thanks, RF and Smokie.

Yes, I can browse the web when the VPN client is terminated because my web browsing is done locally. It is only work traffic to work IP addresses that goes down the tunnel from home to office.

The ethernet cable I use as a workaround is a straight connection between laptop and any of the four ports in the router.

So:

01) Observe (over wireless network) VPN termination
02) Try to reconnect VPN
03) Observe client can't contact remote VPN server
04) Try to connect to HJ
05) Bingo. No problem
06) Plug in ethernet cable
07) Try to connect VPN
08) Observe success
09) Try to connect to HJ
10) Observe success
11) Unplug ethernet cable
12) Observe VPN disconnects immediately
13) Observe HJ still contactable over wireless
14) Reboot laptop (sometimes twice is necessary)
15) Observe all is wirelessly hunky-d, for a while...

Will post any log entries I get.

Cheers!

Sorry - Forgot to add: 'b' standard now enforced. Will wait and see.
VPN connection terminated over wireless - Altea Ego
Smokie

Yes you can loose your VPN client socket and still access the web in other ways. The VPN client is only after all setting up an encrypted secondary network through your existing established network to VPN host. If that VPN goes down then only your VPN socket and client go down, disabling any programe using that socket. HTTP, HTTPs, SMTP etc (thats web browsing and mail) will still be using sockets not connected via VPN and therefore still working.

There - that felt better!
Well, fingers crossed, thanks RF. :-)

Since forcing the 'b' protocol via the Netgear admin tool, I have not had a single client termination, just rock steady VPN connection. By yesterday's standards, I would have had at least a dozen disconnections by now.

Please let the problem be solved!
VPN connection terminated over wireless - smokie
I wasn't thinking straight. I use VPN here too and of course I can browse etc when my VPN goes off.

That's what comes of posting after a night in the pub...
Saving Music from Radio - PhilW
Sorry if this is obvious to you computer buffs but I've just been listening to Radio 365 while browsing HJ site and they've just played Derek and Dominoes Key to the Highway and Boz Scaggs Loan me a dime. Is there a way of saving these tracks to hard disc of computer as they play? I suspect answer is No!?
Saving Music from Radio - Dynamic Dave
PugUgly asked a similar question in Volume 25.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25003
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25003&...e

Blocked Sites and Norton AV 2004 - Wee Willie Winkie
Hi All,

I run Windows XP on a laptop and use Tesco Broadband. Recently I updated Norton AV through the LiveUpdate.

Since then I haven't been able to access any internet sites as I get the "This Page Cannot be displayed error".

By turning off the firewall I can access the internet but that is far from ideal.

I've tried removing and reinstalling Norton but to no avail?

Does anyone please have any ideas?

Many thanks.

DB
Blocked Sites and Norton AV 2004 - Altea Ego
Norton AV update would not affect the firewall. What firewall do you use? Is it Norton and taken a firewall update on board as well? Sounds to me like you might have fallen foul of an XP SP2 update and now two firewalls problem.
Blocked Sites and Norton AV 2004 - Wee Willie Winkie
Yes, it'a Norton firewall. I take it the XP SP2 update could have taken place as an automatic update? If so, do you know how to disable to XP firewall?

Cheers,

DB
Blocked Sites and Norton AV 2004 - Altea Ego
Have a poke about in here

www.symantec.com/techsupp/support_options.html
Blocked Sites and Norton AV 2004 - Stuartli
You are almost certainly better using Norton, ZoneAlarm etc rather than the XP firewall - although it has been improved on the original it still lacks certain requirements.

You can disable/enable the XP firewall in Security Center either from Control Panel or Accessories>System Tools.

Other XP SP2 features can be enabled or disabled from SC.

The basic premise behind SP2 is to provide improved security for those who are not interested/can't be bothered to keep their system safe - all these can be altered as required in Security Centre.

You will know if SP2 has been installed from the time you switch on as there is just a basic Windows XP screen rather than Home or XP Pro before you go to the Desktop.

Or check in System Properties(My Computer>Properties>General tab) where the XP version and whether SP2 is installed is listed.
Blocked Sites and Norton AV 2004 - Stuartli
Also from the Security Centre or IE's Tools>Security + Privacy tabs you can Allow or Block websites as required.