BMW 3 or 5 series? - ashley fairway
I have a budget of £6 - £8000 to spend on either a 3 or 5 series beemer.

It seems, to the un-educated eye, that you now get a lot of 2nd hand car for not a lot of money. The confusing things are the choice of models, where to buy from and also high mileage and less £'s or low mileage and more £'s

What's everyone's thoughts on models? What's the best value if I plan to hang onto the car for the next 5 - 6 years? Is it worth looking at auctions when private prices do seem to be very reasonable?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
BMW 3 or 5 series? - Cheeky
Out of the two beemers, I'd go for a 5 series. More for your money and better built than the 3 series in my humble opinion.
Avoid 1.8s as they are underpowered and need thrashing to move the car around successfully anyway. For your budget, you should be able to pick up a nice 520i or 523i. Autos are best.
As with most German marques, they don't come with that much standard kit so if like me you're a glutton for gadgets, choose an SE spec at least.

Or... go the route I went with that budget, and nail yourself a clean Audi A6 V6 from the auction. It's been an absolute star! You can get a warranty later for peace of mind if you wish.
BMW 3 or 5 series? - Happy Blue!
As someone recently said to me..." a 3-series is a nearly mans car - a 5 series means you made it..."
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
BMW 3 or 5 series? - Buster Cambelt
i'll go along with the Audi theory. A 4 or 5 year old A4 or A6 is a tremendous and well-built proposition with loads of kit on the SE models. The A6 is especially good value for money, try a 2.7 litre turbo quattro for a real laugh!
BMW 3 or 5 series? - Mapmaker
>>2.7 litre turbo quattro for a real laugh

...so long as you're prepared for Mr. Shell & Mr BP & Mr Kwik Fit to have the last laughs...
... remember you're a long time dead...

:-)
BMW 3 or 5 series? - Stuartli
I've driven the majority of marques and models around and since I first drove the then new BMW 5 Series in 1995, I considered it to be probably the finest driver's car the average motorist can acquire.

It's an all rounder that's remarkably consistent in all areas and, to my mind, the 523i was the best of the range at that time (smaller choice then at launch); it's got virtually the same performance etc as the 528i (the 523i is actually a 2.5-litre) and yet you paid a lot less against the bigger engined model.

Two of us did Malaga to Manchester in one in under 36 hours including an overnight stop and we felt so fresh and relaxed we could have turned round and repeated the 2,000 mile trip immediately.
Try an S class Mercedes, Madrid to Geneva in 14 hours with stops.
>>Madrid to Geneva in 14 hours with stops.>>

Not quite on the same level, but a few months back did almost 500 miles down to near Land's End in an S Class 320CDi in under seven hours, including refreshment breaks.

Biggest problem these days, as the majority are well aware, is the rash of speed cameras and the 320CDi is no slouch....:-)
BMW 3 or 5 series? - Mapmaker
I know! I keep having to resist... but I tell myself that in London & on the motorway it\'s not money well spent!
BMW 3 or 5 series? - patently
523i every time. Go for the SE trim if you have the choice.

518/520, underpowered, will be too noisy.

528/530, overpowered, thirsty, depreciates, expensive.

540, VRrrrrrooooooooooooommmmmmmm!!!!!!!! oh I've run out of petrol oops.

The 3 is lovely but is distinctly smaller and the budget will get an older shape whereas the 5 will be the shape current to 2003 IIRC.
BMW 3 or 5 series? - MichaelR
All this talk of avoiding 1.8's and 518's!

Shouldn't be that difficult given the 518 died along with the E34, and given that any £6-8k 5 Series will be an E39 it means the 518i does not exist :)
BMW 3 or 5 series? - patently
Shows how long a reputation lasts!
>>I have a budget of £6 - £8000>>

By the way I don't think you would get much of a 5 Series for six squid....:-))

Good