Astra 1.7DTI MPG - commuter
I have a 1998 high mileage ( 135K ) 1.6 16v Astra that I use for commuting. On a daily round trip of 50 miles I have never got less than 40mpg over a 3 year period. That's mixed town and country driving in the congested Thames Valley.

Traffic, and plagues of speed limit signs dictate the time of the journey, and I decided that if I am going to be crawling along, I might as well do it in a car the sips fuel and to hell with meaningless 0-60 times. I rarely get the opportunity to top 50mph.

I am considering getting either a 1.7DTI Astra or a 1.7DTI ECO4 Astra 2002 model. Can anyone who has driven either of these models advise me of real world mpg that I could expect to get for this kind of journey.

Astra 1.7DTI MPG - Mobile Office
Commuter

I have a 1.7 DTI Model, although its a year 2000 edition with the 16v Isuzu 75BHP engine. As you are going for a newer car yours will have the more powerful GM engine, 90BHP I think.

I was averaging about 58mpg based on around a 120 mile round trip per day with definately un-economical driving.

Now I was only doing motorway miles so the conditions you are looking for are different, but as this is the only reply so far to your post, I offer my experiences to at least put a peg in the ground.

Still have the car but now only doing 40 miles per day, still mostly motorway though, but still weighing in at around 55mpg.

Hope this helps

Mobile Office
Astra 1.7DTI MPG - commuter
Thanks for that Mobile Office.

I average 40 cruising along at the National limit on motorways, so that gives me a comparison. I probably wouldn\'t bother going to a diesel if there was only an improvement of a few mpg.

That does help.
Thanks
Commuter.