Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - japdriver
Well VW's most recent Golf isn't setting the sales charts on fire. Nothing to do with it being completely overpriced of course?!
Why does every motoring publication rave about this car? For considerably less you could have any other medium hatchback on a like for like basis, Yet the cheapest Golf doesn't even have air con. Bargain? Not.
Yes the VW does depreciate less, but then it does cost vastly more. Surely a discounted 'A' class Mercedes is better value than a slim discount Golf?
Even more annoying are the Golf's 'understated' looks. From the front it looks EXACTLY like my Nissan Almera Tino, a car which was religously dismissed for being boring. Can't beat a bit of badge bias can you? If you don't believe me check out the next Tino you see and mentally compare. (If you can find a Tino that is..)
What do the rest of you think - am I being harsh and the Golf is that good, or do people feel as I do that if it had a Daewoo badge on the front it would be an unmentioned also ran?
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - catcher
I agree with you japdriver, the latest Golf just doesn't have the looks. It's easily forgettable, not like the mark 4 which I think is the best looking Golf. I think the Astra, for one, is much better looking.
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - Buster Cambelt
Another factor, it isn't actually that nice a car! I've had three or four on hire in recent months, all LHD and all bar one a diesel. The car is simply uninspiring to drive, very noisy at most revs and feels built down to a price - Ford get away with that wiht the current Focus but it costs 3000 Euros a car less and is better equipped.

Good bits? The Audi style seats are fine.

Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - Sofa Spud
I think the Mark 5 Golf looks OK - haven't driven on so can't comment on its character. But maybe its sales have been hampered by its rival and sister, the Touran, which to my mind looks nicer still.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - Stuartli
The Golf S has air con, traction control etc - adverts currently running pointing out its specifications.

Part of the Golf's attraction lies under the skin in the form of superb build quality, five star NCAP rating etc. If you read up on how Golfs are built on VW's website you may very well change your mind.

To me the rear end view offers glimpses of Peugeot 307 but, in fairness, with so many different cars on the roads, it must be difficult to create a new design whilst retaining instantly recognisable features of the Mk I-IV models.

If the Golf had a Daewoo badge on the front I'm sure that GM would be over the moon at the astonishing rise in sales.

As for the A-class I wouldn't touch one.

Interesting that such views on the Golf are from a Japanese car driver - slagging off VW seems to be a UK national sport...:-)

My Bora is my third VW in 12 years - reliability has been 99.9 per cent over many thousands of miles.

Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - Marc
I don't drive Jap and I think the new Golf looks terrible - especially from the rear. It has little style - akin to the kind of cars the Koreans have been churning out for the past decade.

The point is Stuart, the only reason people *are* buying it is because of the VW badge and not because of the way it looks. At least the Mk IV was attractive.

Do you reckon they'll make a saloon version?
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - Sofa Spud
At least the new Golf looks better from the rear than the new Astra - or the trusty Ford Focus, or the Renault Megane, or the Nissan Micra!

Cheers, SS
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - kenl
Have you driven one japdriver?

First of all the mkV is a sales success as it is sellling better than any other Golf and is the best selling car in europe. This is quite an achievement since VW's own Touran has taken a lot of sales away from the Golf.

The motoring press rave about it because it is a good car, it does everything well and is a great overall package with a nice drive, excellent build quality & the highest score ever attained in the NCAP tests.

The cheapest Golf (£11995 - but you can get a discount if you try) does now have aircon as well as traction control, six airbags etc. That doesn't seem like bad value to me.

They may seem over-priced compared to others like Focus, but then that car is about to be replaced and therefore heavily discounted. Golf has always been an expensive car but then the residuals are good.

Remember that a car is worth what people will pay for it and given that they are now selling well I think VW have got it about right.
I have a Bora (MkIV based) and my son a Focus - compared to the Bora's chiselled out of rock build feel and classy interior, the Focus seems lightweight and with hard interior plastics.

In fact it is lightweight - the Focus is 89kg lighter than the Bora and a Mondeo 1.8 LX, nearest equivalent in price to the Bora yet a model class higher, is just 15kg heavier.

Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - colinh
Does "jap"driver appreciate he's driving a car designed in Nissan's (Renault's?) Belgian design studio for the European market, and it's manufactured in Spain?
Yep,

I do. I also know that my Tino 1.8Se with 4 airbags, electric windows,power steering, abs, ebfd, electric sunroof, aircon, cd player, electric mirrors, reverse parking camera, remote locking etc only cost me 10995 otr last year!!

How much would the equivalent Zafira (boring) lookalike Touran have cost. Err about £16500 according to list prices.
Umm I don't care where something is designed or built, I do care what value for money I get, and also more importantly it's reliability.

I think even a blinkered VW lover would have to say that my belgian/french/spanish Nissan has an enviable reliability record!

Agree or disagree?
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - bikemade3
$13095 FOR A 1.6 Zafira "Energy" They do not do a 1.8 In this version you can buy a 2.0DTI for £13995 comes with all the above bar the reverse camera parking and has 7 seats which can be usefull at times.
Have you driven one japdriver?
First of all the mkV is a sales success as it
is sellling better than any other Golf and is the best
selling car in europe. This is quite an achievement since
VW's own Touran has taken a lot of sales away from
the Golf.
The motoring press rave about it because it is a good
car, it does everything well and is a great overall package
with a nice drive, excellent build quality & the highest score
ever attained in the NCAP tests.
The cheapest Golf (£11995 - but you can get a discount
if you try) does now have aircon as well as traction
control, six airbags etc. That doesn't seem like bad value
to me.
They may seem over-priced compared to others like Focus, but then
that car is about to be replaced and therefore heavily discounted.
Golf has always been an expensive car but then the
residuals are good.
Remember that a car is worth what people will pay for
it and given that they are now selling well I think
VW have got it about right.

Well, £12000 for a gutless 1.4 doesn't sound like 'value' to me. I'm not doubting it's perceived quality, i'm doubting it's value for money.
If the Golf mk IV was anything to go on then it won't feature very highly in the what car reliability charts either....

Yes I have driven one. The 2.0 TDi sport 138 bhp. It's well built, nothing like as quick as the outgoing 150 GTTDi and cost an unbelievable £18 grand.
No smallish hatch is worth that kind of money. Only badge blinded business buyers would pay that kind of money. Or very wealthy people who believe the hype and don't read the reliability ratings !!

What do you think?
Read my 9-06 posting again...:-))

Apart from that, I know that my Bora will last another 10 years at least with average use and that someone else will then enjoy more years of happy motoring.

My previous VW, a 14-year-old Jetta TX, is still out every day on our local roads in the hands of its latest owner. I got a four figure sum for it too.

The bodywork's still in good nick and it proved 99 per cent reliable in my hands over the last eight years.
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - shoei
So,I have been driving VW for over 15 years and drive them because I like the satus of driving a slightly more up-class car. If people want to drive vaiue for money cars then drive them and stop slagging of more expensive cars saying mines got this your has`nt. I bet you don`t live in a value for money house I bet you live somewhere nice where you can enjoy the status of having a nice big house, but if you are a value for money freak then there are 8 terreced houses, half of one street in Stoke-on-Trent for sale for £35000. Now that is value for money, I will give you the estate agents address if you are brave enough.
I can see your point, but surely we'd all like to live in a huge mansion, or drive a Ferrari 360, but as with all decisions in life (unless you are a multi-millionaire) buying what you can AFFORD affects all of us.

Comparing a house to a car is not valid - I guess whichever VW you've owned in 15 years has not quadrupled in value.

If you are shallow enough to actually think that a VW badge means enhanced status then you have been a victim of VW's marketing success. The cars are NOT as reliable as everyone seems to think. Yes they are well built, not questioning that.

Why worry that they are going to be around in 20years time, they would be worth nothing, and who would want to drive around now in a 1984 astra? (or Golf!)now? (out of choice).
>>they would be worth nothing>>

Sorry, that's not true. A Golf, for instance, is always worth money - usually up to around twice that of its Ford, Vauxhall etc equivalent at various ages.

I've never, ever regarded a VW badge as meaning enhanced status - merely superior engineering and build quality.

You pay a little more for such attributes, but my safety and that of my family is more important than saving a bit of money; incidentally all my three VWs have been secondhand, been at least four years old and with at least 46,500 miles on the clock when purchased.

In fact the first, a four-speed 1.3 Jetta C, had done 66,500 miles when I bought it and I had absolutely no qualms about such a mileage, nor did it subsequently prove that I should have been.
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - AngryJonny
To be honest I've never been that struck on the looks of any Golf. Some are nicer than others but it's never been a particularly good looking car. Of course these things are a matter of opinion, and one guy's bland samey-looking Mk5 is probably another man's great looking car.

The question, I guess, is whether the quality and equipment level of a Mk5 Golf is high enough to justify the high cost. I think the answer is a bit of yes and no. The point is that although their reputation for reliability is perhaps more a victory in marketing than engineering, you can't argue that their build quality is pretty good. As a quick test I challenge you to go out and count how many pre-1990 Vauxhalls and how many pre-1990 Volkswagens you see on the road today, bearing in mind that more Vauxhalls would have been sold in the first place.

If, as someone asked before, the car had a Daewoo badge on it, I would imagine the motoring press would say "we can't believe Daewoo have made a car this good, but why spend 18 grand on a Daewoo when you could get a Focus for a few grand less, and a higher brand image thrown in?"

So effectively, yes a Volkswagen is better quality than a Ford or a Vauxhall so expect it to cost a bit more, but there is also the scope for Volkswagen to knock the price up a bit higher because a lot of people are prepared to pay a bit more to buy a percieved "prestige" brand. It's possible that the high price tag offered for a Golf actually helps enhance the image of VW being a quality brand. I have heard stories of brands of cheap cologne increasing sales by magnitudes simply by doubling the price. Make something expensive and it becomes exclusive, regardless of whether or not it's any good.
>>..also the scope for Volkswagen to knock the price up a bit higher >>

I respectfully suggest you read the following:

www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vortex_news/printe...l

There's also the tale of Top Gear magazine's Richard Dredge, who somehow contrived to hit a Citroen Belingo at 70mph that had been "parked" in the outside lane of the M42 in a MkIV Golf V6 4Motion one night.

He wrote in the April 2003 issue: "Being a fairly calm sort I didn't think think I was going to die, but did wonder how much it was going to hurt?

"The incredible thing was that it didn't hurt at all. The first thing I felt was the pre-tensioned seatbelts reining me in, but the overwhelming sensation was the smell of the explosive charge used to inflate the airbags.

"Because the airbags inflate then deflate so quickly, they only hit yokur face with the force of a carrier bag blowing in the wind and, other than that, there was an amazing lack of drama.

"The Belingo was pretty cruched but the Golf's doors all opened the the windscreen was still undamaged. Given what I'd just been through, the lack of damage was nothing short of miraculous.

"It might look bad from the front, but the cabin was completely intact and I was unhurt apart from a bit of whiplash for a couple of days.

"Even the electric windows still moved smoothly up and down and everything still worked - although the driver's heated seat was a bit temperamental."

He said that the hybrid gas generators used to inflate the airbags quicker but without the heat associated with most systems certainly did the job.

So did the steering column crumple zone, subframe attachments which deflected the engine downwards and ultra-efficient bulkhead design minimising deformation of the passenger cell.

The seatbelts and crumple zones had saved his skin, but the reality was that there are dozens of other unsung bits of engineering hidden in the Golf's structure that saved his bacon.

Significantly, he said: "After thinking that the Golf might be very nice but just a teensy bit overpriced, I can now see the benefits of finding a bit more cash when buying."

Footnote: During the 17,000 miles over eight months with the magazine, when the Golf was being used by various drivers (the crash occured just an hour into Dredge's first outing in it) the only thing that went wrong was the CD player, replaced under warranty.

That will put some of VW's critics' noses out of joint...:-))

Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - Buster Cambelt
Doesn't alter the fact that the latest Golf is dire to drive though. The Focus may be tin plate (reliable tin plate mind you) but it does have the saving grace of being a decent drive.
Strange that, most of the car mags raved about the vastly improved ride and handling.....:-)

I've nothing against the ride and handling of the Focus (in fact my son has the Zetec 1.8 TDCI); it's up there with the best.
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - BazzaBear {P}
Stuartli, to be honest, I don't think the crash story we've heard several times means a lot, unless he's performed the same crash in some competitors cars?
>>.. don't think....we've heard several times means a lot..>

Somehow I don't think a still much alive Mr Dredge would happen to agree with you...:-))

Any way, let's face it, if everyone liked exactly the same cars; drank nothing but Guinness and Aussie Shiraz and all married young, nubile, nymphomanic blondes life would be utterly boring wouldn't it?

Think I'll opt for Guinness and Aussie Shiraz.
I'm sure he's very glad to be alive, my point is that there is no proof he wouldn't be in any other car.
Quite true.

My own choice, to cover virtually all eventualities, would be a Hummer or a Centurion.
Doesn't alter the fact that the latest Golf is dire to
drive though. The Focus may be tin plate (reliable tin plate
mind you) but it does have the saving grace of being
a decent drive.

Eh, the mkV Golf IS a decent drive, no-one who has tested it has said it is not good to drive. Agreed some prefer the drive of a Focus but that is a credit to the Focus, not a slur on the mkV.

Media bias or not it has just won a group test against 1-series BMW, Volvo S40 & An Audi A3 in Waht Car - I fail to see though why there would be media bias towards the VW over the BMW or Audi!!!
To be fair to the 1-series... its Bangle styling is so universally hated that even if the poor thing could travel through time it'd still get a bad review.

Anyway, I don't think anyone here is trying to suggest that the Golf is a bad car. I think we all acknowledge that VW make good cars of which the Golf is one. The question is... is it good enough to warrant the extra money? The answer depends on what you look for in a car.

The backroom will never agree on this because we have so many members who view cars differently. Some are keen to get value for money, some are keen on the driving experience, some are keen on the image, others are keen on comfort and equipment levels. The majority, I'd imagine, value a car by all of these factors and more, but in varying proportions.

So if you're the kind of person who values build quality and badge-snobbery then you're likely to see the Golf as a good buy. Equally, if you're most interested in getting the most for your money then you probably won't. Couldn't comment on driving experience here.

The fact is that you don't buy a Ford to own a car with a blue oval on the front. People do buy Volkswagens to own a car with the VW badge on the front. So there must be an element of badge-snobbery supporting the Golf's sales. A lot of people couldn't care less what "What Car" makes of the Golf, but if the Joneses next door have a VW then they can't just have an Astra.
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - akr
I've whinged many a time about Golfs and their poor reliability so I find all of the above very interesting. Regretfully, I am one of those who over three Golfs has been duped into thinking I'm buying a superior product because of how expensive it was amd its supposed image. Subsequently, when you have so many electrical and build quality faults on all three cars (mechanically they have been good, though) your patience begins to run out. As for the crash story, loads of cars now have 5 star safety and don't cost the unbelievable amount VW are charging so that argument in their favour doesn't wash with me. I think VWs and German cars in general are overrated and certainly overpriced and only do well in this country because we are obsessed with image and class. Suffice to say, I've got rid of my last Golf and will never buy another.
And you now drive a...????
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - No Do$h
Does it matter what AKR drives now? This is a thread on the pros and cons of the Golf, not a \"Ooooh, look at him! He drives something I wouldn\'t have!\" thread.

Regardless of what AKR has chosen, the sole relevance here is that it isn\'t a VW, based on personal experience of three different cars with build issues.

No Dosh - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
YES, it does matter, I for one would like to know which car he has chosen after the problems he has had with VW. I myself have not had a blemish free relationship with VW either, so would like to know the views of others. Get down of your high horse and take a chill pill Mr moderator.
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - Dynamic Dave
Get down of your high horse and take a chill
pill Mr moderator.

Lose the attitude, or lose your account. Your choice.

DD.
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - Aprilia
I'm surprised so many people on here consider a VW to be an 'upmarket' car. I don't (and I used to sell a lot of them s/hand a few years ago). VW is certainly not considered an upmarket brand in Germany - where the Golf battles against the Opel Astra. Audi is the VAG premium brand. Anyone who thinks VW is a premium brand has been duped by a big marketing budget.

The older VAG cars were great - esp. the 1.8 N-series engine that appeared in so many Golfs and A80's - simple, relable and durable. The newer ones don't 'cut the mustard though' - and I reckon the dealers have started to believe the marketing too....
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - Marc
I'm completely with you on that Aprilia and have made this point on the BR before. I do realise that time has moved on since WWII and the "people's car" etc. VW are not and never have been a premium brand like Mercedes, BMW or even Audi - whom they know own. They have attempted to invent themselves into one ever since that mid 80s ad for the Golf MkII and the yuppie woman with the engagement ring. And all because the MkI Golf happened to be a good car that didn't rust as badly as a Ford Escort...

Their latest ad campaigns along the lines of "you'll want to keep it that way" and "I think you undercharged us" are positively cringeworthy - pass the sick bag please.

And who are they kidding with the "now with free air con" nonsense on the MkIV Golf? Did they actually think that punters today would buy without just because of a VW badge.

This kind of arrogance from a manufacturer just turns me right off personally.

For the record I have owned Ford, Volvo, Renault, Mercedes and Vauxhall cars. I have been in VW cars and I think they are nicely put together if a little slow. In reality however, with the advent of user chooser company car schemes, there are no really exlusive cars on the road anymore are there?
Audi - whom they know own >>

You make it sound a recent event...:-)

The VAG group's extensive marque choice of Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda are all intended to serve different types of buyers, with the common engines, platforms etc providing economy of scale.

That's why I find it somewhat amusing so many seem to perceive a VW as a "premium" brand in the mould of BMW, Lexus and M-B - that role belongs to the Audi - and it's certainly not a reason why I buy VWs.

In fact, to be honest, because of the vast strides VW has ensured with the quality of Seat and Skoda models, I would be equally happy to drive one of these marques.

The Skoda Octavia or Seat Toledo would be the choice as both are very similar to my Bora.

Certainly where I live the Octavia seems to be the choice of local taxi drivers in seven cases out of 10 and they all rave about the car. Many buy them at special prices in the Glasgow area, pick them up and use the return journey as part of the bedding-in period.
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - Phoenicks
well i dont think No Dosh was being to heavy handed but i do agree with Shoei - i'd like to see what AKR bought now as an alternative and how he's getting on with it?

AKR - what are you driving mate, and how does it compare to the VW's?

Personally i drive a MK3 Golf and just think the latest Golf is so dull and way overpriced. I dont think its a bad car, i just think it gets slated for the cost. If it was the same price generally as a Focus no one would complain. I am eagerly anticipating the new Golf GTI as the engine is supposed to be peachy. However, i feel it may be overrated before it begins.

My MK3 has been the only car i have owned to have gone through an MOT first time no problems, and its a similar age car to the other ones i've had. Its solid and keeps its value well!
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - akr
In case anybody's fussed I bought a Saab 9-3 - one of the new fangled "sport saloon" jobbies. Now, before anybody says it, I know it's a "posh Vectra" (the fact that I can now get a discount off one with my GM Card confirms that) but my experience of it so far is entirely positive. I and the wife have also had seven Vauxhalls (largely due to the fact that I can get them cheap with the aforementioned credit card) and my experiences of them are also entirely positive - the wife's Astra convertible is our 7th Vauxhall and it's great. No dodgy electrics or build quality faults. The discounts I get offset the poorer (compared to VW) residuals. But like I said before, it's all about image - just look at Jeremy Clarkson's attitude to anything (other than the VX220) Vauxhall make. I've been stung by the image thing with the VWs and never will again which is why I thought Aprilla's comment made so much sense. And before anyone has a go about the Saab being a so called "image" car, it cost the same as a VW Golf GT TDi and looks and drives fantastically. Since it's a Vauxhall in disguise it'll no doubt be marvellous.
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - Avant
It'll be interesting to see whether the perceived loss of quality of newer VWs - particularly when confirmed by people in the know, like Aprilia - will have an effect on residuals.

I had seven big family Renaults in a row over 20 years, all company-owned and all very reliable over huge mileages, but their value dropped like a stone because of the market's view of them. Too many other people had bad experiences.

My Golf TDI Mark 4 estate (built in the Fatherland) was worth nearly 60 % of its cost after 2.5 years and 36,000 faultless miles. Maybe the Mark 5 won't do so well. VW are shooting themselves in the foot by not offering the 2.0 TDI in S and SE trim - typical short-termism which loses goodwill in the long term.

Any of you experts care to bet on which of our stable will hold most of its value after 3 years - assuming each does 12,000 - 15,000 miles a year.

Audi A4 Avant 2.5 TDI multitronic
SWMBO's Honda Civic Type S 2.0
Daughter's Yaris 1.3 5-door T3

My money's still on the Audi, but I think all 3 will do better than a Mark 5 Golf, unless VW South Africa do something about QC.

Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - NowWheels
Any of you experts care to bet on which of our
stable will hold most of its value after 3 years -
assuming each does 12,000 - 15,000 miles a year.
Audi A4 Avant 2.5 TDI multitronic
SWMBO's Honda Civic Type S 2.0
Daughter's Yaris 1.3 5-door T3

I'm no expert at all, but I'll bet you that when the Yaris is sold, your daughter will have lost much less money than either of her parents.

I know that's not the question you asked ... but what matters in the end is how many £££s you lose.
My Golf TDI Mark 4 estate (built in the Fatherland) was
worth nearly 60 % of its cost after 2.5 years and
36,000 faultless miles. Maybe the Mark 5 won't do so
well. VW are shooting themselves in the foot by not
offering the 2.0 TDI in S and SE trim - typical
short-termism which loses goodwill in the long term.

Why? There is already a good diesel 105bhp available in the SE.
My money's still on the Audi, but I think all 3
will do better than a Mark 5 Golf, unless VW South
Africa do something about QC.

The mkV Golf is made in Germany.

What Car are predicting 60% residuals for the mkV Golf after 3 years/60k miles.

Of your cars I'd say the Audi will be best as long as it is not over-loaded with expensive extras.
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - machika
Following the line of discussion, it is interesting to note that anyone saying that their VW is totally reliable, is never told that their experience is totally irrelevant to any discussion on the reliability of particular manufacturers cars. On the other hand, as the owner of two totally reliable Citroens, I realise that my experience is totally irrelevant to such a discussion (as I have been told many times).

When it comes to residuals, well, as I will have paid much less for my Citroens than I would have paid for any comparable VW and, as I will be keeping them for a long time, I will end up paying less in the long run. After all, a ten year old Golf or Passat isn't going to be worth a great deal. Then, of course I will be told that I will be paying out much more to keep the Citroens running. That is what I am having trouble with, as it just hasn't happened that way (and I am talking about a ten year period with our Xantia).

As for passing MOT tests first time, well our C5 did just that two weeks ago, but then it is only one car, so it is irrelevant.

Finally, as far as badge image is concerned, I realise Citroens have no street cred whatsoever, but I am consoled by the wonderful ride quality and super smooth HDI engines which are also, probably, totally irrelevant.
is never told that their experience is totally irrelevant to any discussion on the reliability of particular manufacturers cars.>>

Well I, for one, have made it quite clear that I can only go by personal experience with three VWs over the past 12 years.

On the other hand, my mate has a 2001 Mondeo (1.8 LX) and another gets a new £50k plus S-Class every 18 months to two years, and both will tell you of numerous niggling and annoying faults that have kept their cars off the road for a day or more.

Sadly I can only point to routine servicing, filling up with petrol, topping up the windscreen washer bottle and other minor tasks - the cars have just gone when and wherever I've pointed them no matter how far and the return journey equally uneventful.....

It's been a similar, or nearly similar experience to moving onto XP Pro from Windows 98SE about a year ago - one day I had to do a System Restore and that was because of a mistake I made.
PS

Everything you say about your Citroens - ride, handling etc (and that goes for sister company Peugeot) is absolutely correct.
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - just a bloke
Following the line of discussion, it is interesting to note that
anyone saying that their VW is totally reliable, is never told
that their experience is totally irrelevant to any discussion on the
reliability of particular manufacturers cars. On the other hand, as
the owner of two totally reliable Citroens, I realise that my
experience is totally irrelevant to such a discussion (as I have
been told many times).

:-) We alfa drivers suffer nuder a similar cross so you've got my sympathy..

I have 19 year old Alfa Spider, would anyone care to guess how often I visit the MOT testers with it?

JaB
:-) We alfa drivers suffer nuder a similar cross so you've
got my sympathy..

While I agree with what JaB says, I'd like to assure you all that I tend to stay fully clothed throughout ;)
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - just a bloke
While I agree with what JaB says, I'd like to assure
you all that I tend to stay fully clothed throughout ;)

What???? over your fur??? you'll get overheated. ;)

Oh.... I wish there was an edit button :-(

JaB
I have 19 year old Alfa Spider, would anyone care to
guess how often I visit the MOT testers with it?

hhmmm ... about every five years or so, when the people with the flatbed truck can release it for long enough? ;-)

[/tongue-very-firmly-in-cheek]
Mk 5 Golf - Media bias - tobyn
my first car was a zx and i took the ride and handling as the norm. for some reason got a golf and failed to take it on a proper test drive over poorly surfaced roads.
i dream of the day i can get rid of it - it picks up every ripple in the road, the engine is harsh and in comparsion with the zx is pathetic when it comes to handling.( i can't remember the last corner i went round with a smile on my face) i like the fact that the windscreen wipers work well (unlike the zx) and things don't fall off inside, but i've had my short love affair with vw.

perhaps vw's are the car equivalent of stella artois - average and cheap in europe but pushed as a premium product in the uk..
Interesting argument, NoWheels - if you follow the logic further we ahould all drive £9,000 Yarises (Yares?) or even the Ford Ka that our daughter had before the Yaris. That was such a hoot to drive that I did sometimes think that a Ka was all anybody ever needed.

It would take too long to justify having a bigger car, and even if I did you would still have logic on your side! For me at least my A4 isn't a status symbol - I just enjoy driving it.

Machika - I don't think Citroens do lack street cred, especially the quirkier ones. Perhaps a Citroen says 'I want something functional to do a job of work, and I don't mind if it looks different or even futuristic'. I suspect the generous discounts offered on them go most of the way towards offsetting higher depreciation.
Regarding Yarises (Yarii?) I would say that if it was a T-Sport it would definitely hold its value best out of that lot. As it is Yarii (I like that word) have been holding their value pretty well... my Dad couldn't believe what he got as a trade-in on his.

As for Citroens - certain ones are cool. Saxos (I'm not going to guess the plural on that one) seem well-received amongst the nation's scallies, and DSs (struggling again) are widely acknowledged as being one of the coolest cars ever.

Stay on-topic Jon... right. Urm. Golfs. I wouldn't buy one, simply because they don't excite me. Brand image (valid or not) makes no odds to me, and the only reason I drive a BMW is because I wanted a fast, rear-wheel drive car that was a joy to drive and my insurance company could cope with. I Googled. It said "525i". It didn't say "Golf".
>>It didn't say "Golf">>

Google never will as long as the Golf remains front-wheel drive...:-)

Interesting argument, NoWheels - if you follow the logic further we
ahould all drive £9,000 Yarises (Yares?)

Actually, if you follow it all the way, it suggests we should all be driving second hand cars.
But then, who owns them to start with, to make them second hand???
*BB wanders away, shaking head confusedly*
I'm surprised no one has said 'buy a skoda' or 'buy a seat' same car, but cheaper... waffle waffle waffle, zzzzz.

It grates me when someone on here says i'm looking at a xyz gti and the first response is 'well have you thought of a seat leon or skoda octavia?'

-firstly the majority on here are car minded enough to know what they want and dont want and have probably dismissed the other cars.

-secondly, cars are about emotion with a large hint of economics. how about people just buy a car because they really like it rather than some soul-less car-a-like thats 3.4p per mile cheaper with the same chassis. hence people buy VW's!

However, in respect of the MK5 Golf, there a good 20 other great cars that stir the emotions, and do a better job for the same money.
-firstly the majority on here are car minded enough to know
what they want and dont want and have probably dismissed the
other cars.

But if they're asking 'what car should I look at' then surely this is exactly what they're asking for, and they DON'T know what they want?
-secondly, cars are about emotion with a large hint of economics.
how about people just buy a car because they really
like it rather than some soul-less car-a-like thats 3.4p per mile
cheaper with the same chassis. hence people buy VW's!

Personally, on the soul question, I'd buy the Seat over the VW anyway, it looks a lot more stylish and seems more 'fun' to me.
I dont mean those - more the ones that say 'should i get 'x' or 'y' ' and someone says, have you thought of 'z'? As you can appreciate i fully understand that if someone asks for general advice about overall which car to buy then a specific 'have you thought of...' answer is totally what is required.

I cant really think of any Seat that is 'stylish'!
Actually, if you follow it all the way, it suggests we
should all be driving second hand cars.
But then, who owns them to start with, to make them
second hand???
*BB wanders away, shaking head confusedly*

Oh no, can't have everybody driving s/h cars. As mapmaker sometimes reminds us, we need someone to pour away their money on new ones to give us cheap s/h ones to buy.

It's particularly useful when people buy very fast-depreciating cars. Some of the cars which plummet in value are very reliable, an make wonderful s/h buys.
Interesting argument, NoWheels - if you follow the logic further we
ahould all drive £9,000 Yarises (Yares?) or even the Ford Ka
that our daughter had before the Yaris. That was such
a hoot to drive that I did sometimes think that a
Ka was all anybody ever needed.

Depends what you want the car for: I'd prefer to be one of four people travelling long distance in your Audi than one of four in the Ford Ka. If it was just me, driving locally, I guess the Ka would a lot to commend it.

But I wasn't trying to comment on the choice of car, just on the way that percentages can be a misleading way of looking at depreciation.

Interstingly, a friend is driving the latest of several Yarises. She has done the sums and found it costs buttons to get a new one every year. With the free insurance on a new one, no need to pay for servicing, and low depreciation, she reckons her new cars costs her about £200 more than keeping the old ones. I haven't seen the sums myself, but I'm incline to believe her ... and the Yaris is a very nice car, tho it's really only a 2-seater except for short distances.
I think it's the free insurance that swings it. We did the same thing a few years ago with 3 Ford Kas in quick succession: we did have to have the 12,000 mile services, but avoided the need for new front tyres in the second year. Could work even better with a Yaris as it holds its value better than a Ka. We'll have a look next May and let you know!

To avoid being moderated for going off-topic, let me say that I don't think it would work so well for a Mark 5 Golf - I can't remember VW ever offering free insurance.
I can't remember VW ever offering free insurance.>>

Fully comp insurance for my Bora is £176 this year with DirectLine (unexpected premium cut as it was £193 last year) - hardly worth buying a new car for that sort of saving in my case...:-)