Volvo S80 2.4 auto - Lightshade
Can somebody warn me before i buy a Volvo S80 with more than 100K on the clock. 3 months ago i came here to look for advice before i bought my BMW E39 with 110K miles on the clock..which still hasn't given me any problems. The response was good and i got varied opinions some of which i found very helpful. Once again i thank you for that. My wife needs a car of her own and she has been going on about the Volvo S80 and its now doing my head in. Anything to keep her off the BMW will be good. Whats the word on buying a volvo S80..V, W, X Y reg..with more than 100K on the clock...say for about £5000. Or does somebody own an S80 and can they tell me a bit bout it..Cheers..
Volvo S80 2.4 auto - Ivor E Tower
The "guides" and various motoring publications rate it as a bit of a bargain for a used luxury saloon. Make sure you get one that has been serviced to schedule, should be plenty to choose from, buy as new as you can afford. Good luck.
Volvo S80 2.4 auto - Happy Blue!
I have a 2.9SE auto.

It is very good for motorway trips, but the ride is very harsh over road imperfections like potholes and sleeping policemen.

At the moment i am having a few niggles, but hopefully not too expensive to repair. I think the 2.4 does not have enough torque but I haven't driven one to check this out.

The interior is superb, very comfortable and incredibly well laid out. You must get one with the winter pack (heated seats, headlight washers and tailored floor mats) and the SE is also useful as you get leather and the worlds easiest climate control.

The radio is also excellent with the HU401 (I think) having both CD and cassette built in.

They are good value as there is a huge amount of car for the money - I know, I want to sell mine! But service history is important and there are several diagnostic things that only a Volvo dealer can sort.

Find the newest you can for the money. Mileage should be immaterial on this car and I think the ride on the 2.4 is better than the 2.9.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Volvo S80 2.4 auto - barney100
From my experience of volvos mileage on a well serviced example is not an issue. Look at the Volvo owners club website and study the ''high mileage'' section, it is very reassuring. Some cars have done more miles than the starship Enterprise.
Volvo S80 2.4 auto - Dogbreath2
Be careful the early s80s had a lot of problems. Recently they have got a lot better. My boss had one of the early ones which had a lot of failures including complete failure of power steering while doing 80 mph on the motorway.
Volvo S80 2.4 auto - Car.Trader
I have just sold a S80 2.9SE auto they are lovely cars to drive with lots of toys but very expensive to repair, recently had to Fit a new electric rad fan and the part alone cost £330-00 (a common fault apparently) also in prepping the car ready for sale I had fitted front shocks and all drop links costing over £700. Fuel economy is about 20mpg. I also found the ride very firm and twitchy on poor road surfaces - As I said a lovely car to drive but not cheap to run or repair! To sum up I prefer the drive of the new shape mondeos or vectras and servicing costs are much lower than the Volvo due to fleet demand - they are very good value now to!.
Volvo S80 2.4 auto - SjB {P}
Be careful the early s80s had a lot of problems.

Some, yes, but not all.

My father's S80 2.4 170 manual, one of the very first RHD examples in the country, owned by him from new, left to languish outside in all weathers, and not given any real TLC, has had no unscheduled expense apart from a replacement (stone chipped) headlamp.

As an aside, I was impressed how quickly and efficiently the track rod recall was done when the car was nearly new, as Dad's is a personal import.
Volvo S80 2.4 auto - Aprilia
From my experience of volvos mileage on a well serviced example
is not an issue. Look at the Volvo owners club website
and study the ''high mileage'' section, it is very reassuring. Some
cars have done more miles than the starship Enterprise.

Well, this is true. But 'well serviced' means replacing things that wear out, like alternators, starters, shock's, suspension links and bushes etc etc. On an S80 these items are eye-wateringly expensive and if you use a Volvo dealer the labour rates will be high too.
Volvo S80 2.4 auto - Lightshade
Thanks y'all for the advice..seems there's a lot of consensus on this one. So Volvo S80 2.4 it is..thanks y'all..