VW Touran - petesbabes
Im interested in the VW Touran and would welcome any replies about the vehicle both bad and of cause good? Does anybody know the service costs etc, i can afford the 1.6 petrol. Is the 1.6fsi better than the normal 1.6?
VW Touran - Ivor E Tower
Do you need 7 seats? The rearmost 2 are not that suitable for adults, and check if you get a spare wheel of some sort. Personally I don\'t see any point in going for any of the petrol engines, the massive torque of the diesels so better suited to the car. Go for the new 2.0TDI if you can afford it, else the 1.9TDI is almost as good.
VW Touran - kenl
I see you can't afford the TDI so no point suggesting you get it.

I have a Golf with the 1.6FSI petrol. The engine takes a bit of getting used to as it has a sort of diesel like sound due to the way the fuel is pumped in just like a diesel. So it does sound a little bit gruff around town but otherwise is fine.

One downside is that you are meant to use super-unleaded fuel but it will run with a slight loss of power if you stop at a station that only has regular fuel.

Performance is good and the engine revs nice and freely. Seems excellent for a 1.6 on mpg. When I measured it I got 38mpg on a half/half mway/town driving tank which if anything will get even better as the miles go on.

As to the non-FSI engine I can't comment but it makes sense to get the more modern engine with better economy.

VW Touran - Happy Blue!
Test drove a 2.0TDI. Loads of torque so a good drive.

The rear seats are only suitable for children and leave you with zero boot space if in use. And I mean zero. Also no spare wheel!

Our old Mitsubishi Spacewagon was far superior in that regard, as I suspect is the Zafira, which is probably no less reliable and a diesel can be bought for less money than the Touran petrol. and there are great deals on Grand Scenics - see this web site adverts.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
VW Touran - Dr Rubber
I've got a 1.6FSI Touran (I too couldn't afford the diesel). For a review see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=22...6

I would recomend the 1.6FSI over the standard, purely because the FSI is more economical, and has higher torque and power (which you need). You will also get the benefits of zero sulphur petrol when it becomes available. However, if you drive a car hard (i.e at high RPM), the benefits of the FSI engine may be reduced.

As stated before, it really needs super unleaded if it is loaded, but 95 is OK round town. It does not seem to affect economy much, but you notice the drop in performance.

Happy with it? Yes. Would I buy another? Probably, but I would prefer the diesel (there are now other mini MPV's that were not available at the time of purchase).

Joe
VW Touran - daveyjp
An ex demo Touran 2.0 TDi with less than 5,000 miles on the clock will cost almost the same as a brand new 1.6 petrol. I've driven the 1.6 FSi and was very disappointed. This was in an A2 which weighs less than a tonne.
VW Touran - Dr Rubber
Prices vary. To find a non Sport 2.0TDI takes some effort, and the sports are over £18k ex-demo.
The FSI engine takes some getting used to, and at 6k mine is just getting nice and flexible. Inclines do need the right gear, and a change down from 6 to 5 may be required if the car is loaded on the motorway. This is mainly to do with it switching from lean to normal over 3000 rpm. In this respect it is little different from a VTEC honda.
I miss the torque of my old SDI polo, but I don't miss the noise!
Joe
VW Touran - bikemade3
Zafira 2.0 DTI £12745 OTR from my local VX dealer.How much more is the Touran ?
VW Touran - Aprilia
Could you consider a ford C-Max TDCi? - performance (even with just the 1.6 Diesel) is not too bad and economy is very good in my experience of driving one for 2000 miles. I think they can be had new for about £12k.
VW Touran - Dr Rubber
How do C-Max's compare to Zafira/Touran etc? When I have looked at them they seem to have lost some rear room (low roof) compared to the others in the market. I come from a tall family, to the extra head and shoulder room on the middle row is a real benefit.
Joe
VW Touran - NowWheels
Am I right in thinking that the diesel veresion would have much lower depreciation, both in percentage terms and in £££££s? And so would be cheaper in the long run?
VW Touran - Dr Rubber
Probably, but if you only have X thousand to spend on a car, and the diesel version is X + 2, that does not help. This is especially true for ex-demo vehicles (the only way to get second hand tourans?).
Joe
VW Touran - daveyjp
Dr Rubber - On the VW website and there are currently 150 diesel Tourans (1.9 and 2.0 versions) available in all the specs. Cheapest £13,495, dearest £20,999.
VW Touran - kenl
Am I right in thinking that the diesel veresion would have
much lower depreciation, both in percentage terms and in £££££s?
And so would be cheaper in the long run?

Not really according to What Car depreciation figures.

Touran 1.6FSI S worth 60% after 3 years, loss = £6312
2.0TDI sport worth 61% after 3 years, loss = £7731

VW Touran - petesbabes
Thanks for all the replies, i think i will have to have a good look round and find a bargain of some kind. Thanks again
VW Touran - DavidHM
Pete - first question is, how are you paying for the car?

Secondly, I don't have the What Car? figures but I'm sure that the depreciation on the correct model to be comparing to a 1.6S, the 1.9 TDi S, will be closer to the petrol model, even though these kinds of guide tend to overstate the depreciation of more popular specifications.

Even if it depreciates slightly more, the fuel savings will more than offset the extra cost. If money is that tight then perhaps the Touran isn't the right car: alternatively, if it's a finance deal then £20 a month extra on the finance is better than £30 on the fuel bill, surely?
VW Touran - Dr Rubber
I stand corrected, there is a greater choice than when I was purchasing.
Have a good look round pete, I'm sure if you find the right one for you.
Good luck
Joe