Best 4x4 for under £22000ish - costablancabloke
I live in Spain and want a 4x4. As the heading says, i am wondering what 1 to go for. I am leaning towards the Mitsubishi Monterey Sport, for its size, space and cost.
I do actually need a 4x4 for some of the roads (even tarmaced ones) and for the safety aspects (spanish drivers!
I am thinking of buying new as 2nd hand cars in spain are quite expensive in comparison to new. Either that or buy from Belgium or Germany, but that is added hassle.
Any ideas please tell me 'cause cars are not my thing really, they drink fuel and get me where i want to go, hopefully.
Cheers.
Best 4x4 for under £22000ish - malteser
Buy new in Spain is my advice! As you live in Spain I assume you have your NIE number and either a long term house/flat rental contract or the escritura for your home - you will need both these to buy a new car!
If you buy elswhere in the EU, please be aware that to transfer your car to Spanish plates will entail a lot of beaurocratic form filling (best done by a gestoria) and considerable expense, as the Spanish impose an import duty based on the value of your car.
A friend of ours transferred his Ford to Spanish plates and it cost around 1800 Euros.
Roger. (in Spain).
Best 4x4 for under £22000ish - doctorchris
Why not go for the local product-Nissan Terrano. Good value, good off road and remarkably reliable.
I am looking at the Mitsubishi for its boot space as well as anything else. Going to the beach with the 3 year old is a military sized operation, buckets, spades, lilos, etc. And the airport run for visitors is a regular juggling act with my current s40 volvo.
Is the Terrano a good bet as well then?
Thanks for the replies.

CBB
Best 4x4 for under £22000ish - CM
Presumably you do not need an out and out off-roader as the old Land Rover is the one to go for. I take it that you want something with a bit more road manners but I love the LWB110 TD5. However I don't live with one as my only car! Can fit your house inside but the aerodynamics and other bits and bobs do mean that it is only slightly faster than a snail.
Best 4x4 for under £22000ish - GrumpyOldGit
A second vote for the Kia Sorento. As a bonus it also looks good.
Best 4x4 for under £22000ish - Citroënian {P}
Can't say I see the point for these things, but I'll add a third vote for the Kia if you _really_ need one
--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
Must say the KIA is a good looking motor. But, will it be as reliable as a Mitsubishi. And has it got as much room?

Also, don't particuarly need the off road ability as yet (so Land Rover not needed) but will be looking at a house with 220000M2 of land this week, so may need one yet!!!

CBB