406 Coupe V6 brake squeal - TimR

The brakes on my 406 Coupe V6 squeal like a piggie. I have used the spray which works for a short while byt then it comes back. The brakes in question are Brembo (though I?m not sure this makes a difference). Anyway, I?m going to have to change them soon anyway so my questions are:

Is it worth upgrading away from the stock parts?
If so, any suggestions on what I should go for?
Will different pads cure the problem ir is it something to do with the brake design?

Thanks folks.

Tim
406 Coupe V6 brake squeal - LeePower
A small amount of copper grease on the back of the pads & the parts where the pads touch the brake caliper will stop the squeal.

Whatever you do, Dont get any copper grease on the disc or the friction face of the pads!
Thing is they have been stripped and greased a number of times and the problem is recurrent. I thought they may just be kicking out a lot of dust but they are wearing very slowly.

406 Coupe V6 brake squeal - Ross_D
I've seen this problem on many 406 Coupes with the Brembo front brakes. The only cure seems to be new front discs, as you say stripping and greasing seems to do nothing for them. The trouble is, they are not cheap!
Make sure you sure OEM parts, I think Peugeot use Brembo and/or Lockheed pads.
- what about buying uprated pads - Greenstuff and the like. Any point?
406 Coupe V6 brake squeal - Civic8
Try having the pads trimmed.ie the pad surface edge needs rounding off.it prevents any excess dust travelling between pad and disc causing a squeel.same used to be done on brake shoes.
--
Was mech1
How do you make this modification? Just round the edges with a file?

Tim
I used to use rough emmery cloth to do it.but as pads are now made of bassicaly metal.may be easier to do with a file.be carefull as too much taken off will reduce your braking power.would try emmery cloth first as it is harder to use but will ensure you dont take too much off the pad.as a guide would suggest 1/2mm just enough to prevent dust getting between pad and disc.it may not work.due to makeup of pads now.though I have used it.without any probs.You may prove me wrong.?
--
Was mech1
406 Coupe V6 brake squeal - Ross Lavery
Before, shamfering the pads. Have you stripped the pads and caliper yokes out of the car and cleaned them as much as you can, after all the years ive worked with peugeot this is the first time ive heard of brake squeal from a 406 coupe!!

Definatley emery paper the pad surfaces down coz if there squealing chances are the pads will be glazed over. Get hold of some brake cleaner spray the discs and knock any lip of them, reassemble with plenty of copper grease, and the spray anti squeak stuff is useless, we use brush on pad silencer at our dealer which works pretty well

Cheers
Thanks for the great info folks. I had a look at the pads at the weekend and there was still lots left on them but ill strip and clean them fully, get the emery on them and then take a little of the edges with a file. Ill get back to you and let you know if it went.

Thanks again,

Tim

(one final though, what's the best stuff to clean them with once they are off?)
406 Coupe V6 brake squeal - Ross Lavery
Hi,

Use a rough emery paper to clean the pads, if you have accsess to a wire brush use this for the yokes, grease up the sliders as the caliper goes back together, oh and put a little bit of loctite on the bolts too,

Cheers
Can only reflect on what RL said.
--
Was mech1