GB Sticker - davidcanning
I am going abroad this summer with the car. Do i need a GB sticker aswell as the one incorporated within the number plate? Secondly whats the speed limit towing a trailer in France?
GB Sticker - Rosanbo
I don't know about the sticker, but I never have one when I go, and I don't have one on my plate either.

Speed limits: for France

Towing :–
built-up areas 31mph (50kph):
outside built-up areas, single carriageway 49 mph (80kph),
dual carriageway 62mph (100kph),
motorway 68mph (110kph).

Solo :–
built-up areas 31mph (50kph),
outside built-up areas, single carriageway 55mph (90kph),
dual carriageways: separated by a central reservation 68mph(110kph)
Motorways: 80mph (130kph)

Wet weather solo speed limits*:-
outside built-up areas 49mph (80kph)
dual carriageways 62mph (100kph)
motorways 68mph (110kph)

*Wet weather limits also apply to visiting motorists who have held a driving licence for less than two years.

*Holders of EU driving licences exceeding speed limit by more than 25kph will have their licences confiscated on the spot by the police.

*Carry your passport at all times. Warning triangle *or* hazard warning lights compulsory (it is recommended that a warning triangle always be carried).

Recommended that visitors equip their vehicle with a complete set of replacement light bulbs. Not required, but if you are stopped with a defective bulb without a replacement you will get a ticket. If you have a replacement the copper will help to change it.

At signed roundabouts bearing the words Vous n’avez pas la priorite or Cedez le passage, traffic on the roundabout has priority; where no such sign exists, traffic entering the roundabout has priority (be cautious).

I don't know about wet weather towing but you might want to err on the side of caution.

Drive on the right! Easy to forget when pulling out from a T junction.

GB Sticker - Rosanbo
Black sticky tape required on headlamps, I use black insulation tape, over the relevant section of the headlamp (cheaper than buying those stickers) make sure before you go you know what area of the headlamp to obscure, ask someone.
GB Sticker - Robert J.
Don't put sticky tape on polycarbonate lenses ! I think HJ mentioned in his column in the Daily Telegraph last saturday that it is ok to turn down the beam adjustment to its lowest setting (as if you were carrying a heavy load in the boot) and not bother with the tape.
GB Sticker - Rosanbo
But this guy is going to be towing, so his lamps might have to be on low level anyway, depending how heavy his towed load is.
GB Sticker - peterg
Black sticky tape required on headlamps, I use black insulation tape,
over the relevant section of the headlamp (cheaper than buying those
stickers) make sure before you go you know what area of
the headlamp to obscure, ask someone.

On the subject of black sticky tape for headlamps - does anyone know where to get information on where to stick the tape for individual cars?

I don't want to pay for a kit but can't find the information anywhere. Cheers!

GB Sticker - Mike H
Worth checking the car handbook, my Saab has the info there with a little piccy of the headlights as they should be masked.
GB Sticker - peterg
Hi Mike,

Cheers, I have already done that but to no avail. I'm amazed I can't find the info anywhere - I guess it's so people can make lots of money on kits!!
GB Sticker - Dynamic Dave

Someone may be able to help you if you mention the car you're trying to do the job on!!
GB Sticker - davidcanning
Thanks for the information very informative.
Regards.
GB Sticker - Dynamic Dave
I am going abroad this summer with the car. Do i
need a GB sticker aswell as the one incorporated within the
number plate?

tinyurl.com/5sjo4

Vehicles displaying this symbol no longer have to use the traditional oval shaped national identifier (GB) sticker when travelling within the European Union.

GB Sticker - jc
Two things.
1. GB on number plates is only legal on the latest style alpha-numerics-not legal on the old-style plates with letter at beginning or end.
2.France is alone in not changing their own law(to match EU regs) to remove the requirement for nationality plates.Under a law passed in the twenties you can still be required to display a plate-you are unlikely to be stopped but if you got a jobsworth policeman you could be done.
GB Sticker - PhilB
JC
1. GB on number plates is only legal on the latest
style alpha-numerics-not legal on the old-style plates with letter at beginning
or end.

I went to France last year and changed my old (letter at beginning style plate)plate to one with a GB/EU symbol - as far as i was informed from DVLA and insurance co. this was perfectly legal in France - only illegal if it has one of the 'country' symbols (Wales/Scotland/England)?
GB Sticker - jc
It is not legal on old-style plates because to make the space for the GB it is often necessary to reduce the spacing between the letters/numbers to below the legal minimum.You may well get away with it as with non-GB markings as you say but European vehicle law used to be my job.
You do not drive in any country under EU law;you drive in that particular country under their-repeat-their application/interpretation of EU law which may be totally different to anyone else's.ie.CJD/monetary policy etc..
GB Sticker - SjB {P}
Don't do what my brother did: Buy a magentic GB plaque, whack it on the back of his 2003 V70, walk away, and watch the plaque fall to the floor!

Yes, P2 platform (ie current model) V70 tailgates are made of a composite material that is not magnetic! (Likewise the bonnet, fwiw)