Back Roomers Meet - Jonathan
Dan J brough this up in another thread. It has been mooted in the past, but may be worth a mention again.

"Just out of interest and so as not to take up a new thread with it, what is the likelihood of a "backroomers" meet-up (suggested by Mark (Brazil)!)? If it could be pulled off it'd be great to meet all who frequent this establishment over a beer - Be difficult due to the spread of where people live I suppose - any suggestions?"

Perhaps regional groups would be more convenient, I believe that there are quite a few other Cheshire set people, so that would suit me.

Jonathan
Re: Back Roomers Meet - Dan J
Cheers for moving it over to a new thread Jonathan;

Could be cheeky and point out that Cheshire is pretty much in the middle of the country so get everyone to meet here...

I would certainly like to meet posters from here to put faces to names. Maybe if a couple of regional ones were organised and went well - no punch-ups etc (joking!) a national one could be organised if there was enough interest for when the weather is a little warmer (maybe meet at one of the car shows? How's that for an idea?).

I'd certainly be up for it if there was interest from people.
Re: Back Roomers Meet - markymarkn
well I live in nottingham - do any of you lot?

motorshow would have been a good meet up place, but I reckon weve missed that boat.
Re: Back Roomers Meet - Kev
Yeah, thanks, I live in the North, and we all know who lives up here, HH
Having said that, Sheffield does appear to be a hot stop of backroomers
Good idea, we should have gone to that driven day
Kev
Re: Back Roomers Meet - David W
We could have a pressure washer day somewhere, that has been surprisingly popular. Of course Guy L would only travel so far for anall day bender.

David
Back Roomers Meet - Guy Lacey
Hey DW - you have one good memory! Sadly my "anall day benders" are few and far between but the Lacey Bros did have a cracking time at the Tar Barrel Burning at Ottery St.Mary in deepest, darkest Devon.

I'll travel miles (in my prize-winning Golf LPG) but only if the "female element" of the Back-Room - Carole, Sue and Rebecca - promise they will be there.

Sounds a good idea to me - how's about "Teasers" just off Deansgate in Manchester?
Re: Teasers - Jonathan
Terrible place, full of sweaty mancunian lasses in bikinis.
Re: Teasers - David W
What, hence the name?

David
Re: Teasers - Dan J
Would've sounded tempting if it weren't for the "sweaty mancunian" bit...
Re: Back Roomers Meet - Sue
Guy Lacey wrote:

> I'll travel miles (in my prize-winning Golf LPG) but only if
> the "female element" of the Back-Room - Carole, Sue and
> Rebecca - promise they will be there.
>
> Sounds a good idea to me - how's about "Teasers" just off
> Deansgate in Manchester?

Given what followed in this thread, you can count me out!

Although since my bikini days are long past and I don't speak mancunian it didn't sound as if you'd want me anyway!!!
Re: Teasers - Another Ottery visitor
just one comment. ottery st mary barrel carrying - a legendary, if stupid annual event. though was it me, or was the midnight barrel smaller this year than the last few years.???

sorry it's a bit off topic.
Re: Teasers - Jonathan
wrong thread methinks.

It looks as though the bellies are getting bigger, not the barrels.

Jonathan
Re: Teasers - Guy Lacey
Off topic - YES

Wrong thread - YES

Was the Midnight Barrel small this year - YES - tiny in comparison to previous years. Government cut-backs I suspect.

Teasers in Manchester - a fabulous establishment. Bikinis - YES!

The Motor-Show or Goodwood are good suggestions. We could have a Member's Only Beer Tent. . . . . . . staffed by the sweaty Manc Lasses from Teasers.
Re: Teasers - Lee H
I'd suggest that a winning combination would be the girls from Teasers running power washer demonstrations, accompanied by flaming barrels of tar and gallons of ale. If this could all be done on ice at a track day on a major race circuit, so much the better.
Re: Teasers - THe Growler
Hardly ever likely alas, but any and all are welcome in the PHilippines! Here we can show what REAL traffic is, what REALLY bad driving is, and luckily how cheap it is! Asia's best beer, chilled to the bone, Asia's raunchiest bars second Asia's best-looking women, they don't care about your age as long as you're nice and buy them things, and a selection of vehicles such as you've never seen. THe weather's always warm, we have 7,107 islands and the beaches are the world's best-kept secret. Cost of living is low. An Air France or Emirates return fare is around six hundred quid from London.

I and the Growlette would be delighted to show you around. We guarantee to change your perception of things automotive forever, plus challenge your scale of values in one or two other areas as well ;o).

Doubtless totally unfeasible, a pity!
Re: Teasers - ian (cape town)
Bet our vehicles and driving is worse than yours! :)
Re: Teasers - Mark (Brazil)
Growler,

Now next year I could be tempted.

Could you send me an e-mail so we can discuss off-line please ?

Ta ever so.

M.
beach balls. club and bar. - ladas are cool
we have a little known bar called 'beach balls' (i think we can guess what its like from the name), beautiful geordie lasses who go about topless, and serve drinks, lets see if we can get them to come to the meet.
Re: beach balls. club and bar. - Mark (Brazil)
Chris,

You wouldn't have a sign on your forehead which says "hit me" would you ?

Sometimes you do ask for it. How would topless women be suitable for a sociable, mixed-gender, meeting ?

And as another point, it would put me off my beer and shepherds pie.
Re: beach balls. club and bar. - Starman
Mark

Would it require a sign?
Re: beach balls. club and bar. - Mark (Brazil)

> Would it require a sign?

Actually, he'd probably be better without the sign, imagine the confusion if he was shaving using a mirror !!

Sorry Chris, but honestly !
Re: beach balls. club and bar. - Starman
I don't thinks he is old enough to shave.
Re: beach balls. club and bar. - ladas are cool
if you want a mixed gender group, then get the girls from the newcastle branch, and the male strippers from the sunderland branch.
Re: Teasers - Rebecca
Sue

I'm with you on this one!

Come on guys, behave. Someone rescue this thread because meeting up doesn't have to be a bad idea.

Rebecca
Re: Teasers - Sue
They ignored you, it got worse.

They'll have to do a lot better to tempt me ANYWHERE, I can't claim it on expenses!
> They'll have to do a lot better to tempt me ANYWHERE, I can't claim it on expenses!

Hey, I'll be nice and entertaining.

This is because I am a good, wholesome person striving to respect all, gentle of behaviour and inherently shy.

Well, that and the fact that my scary-wife tends to give me one of those looks before I offend anyone.
Re: Teasers - Sue
Mark (Brazil) wrote:

> Well, that and the fact that my scary-wife tends to give me
> one of those looks before I offend anyone.

What happens if you miss the look and the offence slips out???
> What happens if you miss the look and the offence slips out???

I learned faster than Pavlov's dogs, but in a very similar way.
Okay - I think the British International Motor Show is an excellent idea. Perhaps even HJ/The Telegraph might consider having a stand which would be excellent meeting ground - comments HJ? If that was the case then of course we'd get to meet the legendary man himself...

If it was done at a motor show of some description (I think the above is prob the best suggestions) then it takes all the organising away from us other than the meeting time/place and removes people arguing about most suitable dates.

I know it'll probably now be forgotten for a while but maybe running up to the next Motor Show (will it be Earl's Court or the NEC? I have no idea - not on the website yet) we can organise something then. That way if some of us wish to go onto bars of various qualities/clientele afterwards there'll be no problem there either :o)

Comments on a postcard please!
Got to be London hasn't it? - Dave
We can't all be from the North can we?
Re: Got to be London hasn't it? - Dan J
London's fine by me!
Re: Got to be London hasn't it? - John Slaughter
Dave

Absolutely right! Some of us live in the south - Wiltshire in my case. So, despite its 'charms' Teasers doesn't appeal as a venue!

I like the idea of an HJ/Telegraph stand at the Motor show (when it happens), and Birminham is pretty central, at least from my southern perspective.

Alternatively - anyone for a more local meet?

Regards

John
Re: Got to be London hasn't it? - Stuart B
Stuck this down in the Dartford tolls fred so I will put it here.

t'was in response to a suggestion to pay the tolls in 1p coins.

"I think there is some rule or statute which sets quite a low max limit as to how much you can pay in pennies.

Quite like the idea of a mass turnout with everybody submitting a £50 quid note. More potential for causing mayhem.

Now THAT would be an idea for a Backroomers meet, it would involve cars, a drive, a legal protest, possible publicity for HJ if there were enough of us, and potential for a gin afterwards. Possibility for countrywide venues, Dartford, Severn, Humber, Forth, BNRR when its built."

Forgot to include in the benefits potential for a good hectoring barney with the toll operators. ;-)
Re: Got to be London hasn't it? - Martyn [Back Room moderator]
I like the idea of this. I actually think there's scope for informal get-togethers on a local or regional basis which we all could organise amongst ourselves. But I do like the idea of a more formal meeting. However, stands at the NEC or wherever are hideously expensive, and it's important to bear in mind that hj.co.uk does not generate an income. More thought needed here.

Sue and Rebecca: I think that the usual has happened -- those with the loudest voices have made their laddish opinions heard. But don't let that put you off. Surely it's no worse than you'd have to put up with at any similar gathering? In fact, in the flesh (ew -- perish the thought!) I'd wager the majority of these rambunctious guys would be like little lambs.
Re: Got to be London hasn't it? - ian (cape town)
Martyn,
Any chance of "I know honest john" T-shirts? (Just a thought ...)
Re: Got to be London hasn't it? - ian (cape town)
Oops! Rebecca pre-empted me!
That'll learn me to read posts in chronological order ...
Re: Got to be London hasn't it? - Rebecca
Martyn

I have no problems at all with blokes being laddish - I'm sure it's only natural - but let them do that under the guise of a lads night out, not as a Back Room Get Together...then a BRGT will be a lot more appealing to the likes of us girls.

A motor show venue is a good idea (especially because I can claim it on expenses!) THE motor show is one of the most expensive of all exhibitions in the UK for exhibitors, so you're right not to go down that road. BUT we could all chip in a tenner and do some t-shirts publicising the site and wear them at the show. A bit of publicity and a way to spot fellow Backroomers...

What do you think?

Rebecca
Re: Got to be London hasn't it? - Martyn [Back Room moderator]
Rebecca wrote:
>
> Martyn
>
> I have no problems at all with blokes being laddish

I think you probably know I'm no great apologist for laddishness.

> A motor show venue is a good idea
>
> What do you think?

Email me? Admin is boring in the forum.
Re: Got to be London hasn't it? - Dan J
Sounds like an excellent plan - perhaps nearer the time have a page put up on this site Martyn? If there was one particular day of the Motor Show plus meeting place etc, it'd be very easy just to bung it on a page on here and everything is sorted!
Got to be London hasn't it? Has it?? - David W
I've e-mailed Martyn with a less glamorous but interesting rural/vehicle/engineering associated event next year. Awaiting feedback.

Also there is always the Fenland Ferret Gnurdling Association meet on the washes in December as a fall back. I know I know, ferrets can be dangerous and you get very muddy. But it seems safer than those Devon nutters with their backs on fire......and we've all got pressure washers.

David
Re: Got to be London hasn't it? Has it?? - Mark (Brazil)
I'd love to meet up, however my issue will be timing. I am expecting to be in the UK for two of the next four weeks - Prob Wk 2 & Wk 3.

Since I never have the opportunity, unlike the rest of you, then I'm all for country pubs without Bikinis and with good beer.

On the other hand, my time is so restrictive that I wouldn't expect the meeting to be arranged around me - so if you lot can decide and then let me know, I'll do my best.
A thought. - Dave
I think we're gonna have to list areas convinent for each of us over the next month or so and see if there's any Commonality!!!

For me:

London.
Gloucestershire.
Bouremouth.
Worcestershire.
Southampton.
Gatwick area.

Are all places I can get to and have mates who will let me crash out. Anyone else care to offer their list?
Re: A thought. - Mark (Brazil)
> Anyone else care to offer their list?

Rio de Janeiro
Curitiba
Porto Alegre
Belo Horizonte
Porto Seguro
Salvador
Murcuri
Santiago
Caracas
Lima
Viña del Mar
La Serena
Atacama

However, I would prefer not Bogota, I was shot at last time I was there.

Failing that, anywhere in England.
Re: A thought. - John Slaughter
And there are those saying the Motor Show in Birmingham is expensive!
Re: A thought. - Dave
Mark (Brazil) wrote:
>
> Failing that, anywhere in England.

You don't mean that.
There's always one awkward one isn't there!
I meant Mark (Brazil) with that one... :o) Edit button!!!!
Re: Back Roomers Meet - Rebecca
Better turnout if it was sometime in the New Year perhaps? What about a Sunday pub lunch type thing?

London
Southampton and thereabouts
Worcestershire/Gloucestershire

in no particular order
Re: Back Roomers Meet - John Slaughter
Rebecca

Some of those are certainly more my neck of the woods. Don't forget Wiltshire!

Regards

John
Re: Back Roomers Meet - Alyn Beattie
Gloucester way sounds interesting. Not far from South Wales, no bridge tolls and my Land Rover will make it that far.
Re: Back Roomers Meet - David W
Alyn,

I hadn't thought about the Land Rover sub-section.

David
Re: Back Roomers Meet - Alyn Beattie
AHHHHHHH

Now, if we are going to have a Land Rover meet I would recomend Eastnor Castle in Herefordshire, (Just ouside Ledbury) they have a trial circuit there that LR use on a regular basis.
Re: Back Roomers Meet - Alwyn
Had a friend in Byley, one in Cuddington ans one in Tarporley.

Are you old money or new money? North or South Cheshire?

Lovely county and a great accent around Beeston and Bunbury.

Wild Boar anyone?
Re: Back Roomers Meet - Jonathan
Alwyn

New

North ( golden triangle is a clue).

Jonathan
>Had a friend in Byley, one in Cuddington ans one in Tarporley.
I live up the road from Byley and used to frequent the White Barn in Cuddington (though for some reason it was painted pink...)

>Are you old money or new money? North or South Cheshire?
I am "no" money and South Cheshire - parents live in Middlewich and I am shortly getting a place in Holmes Chapel

>Lovely county and a great accent around Beeston and Bunbury.
Definitely! I lived in London for two years but couldn't resist moving back

>Wild Boar anyone?
Can't think for the life of me where that is though I've heard of it.

Where are you from Alwyn (Wales connections I would guess at!)
Re: Back Roomers Meet - Stuart B
Worcestershire
Anywhere Midlands
South Yorkshire/Derbyshire
Lincolnshire/Norfolk/Cambridgeshire
Jersey
Las Vegas around December might be a good one.
Sweden around the time of the Swedish rally, trying to keep it on topic.
Start of the RAC?
Re: Back Roomers Meet - Dave
Stuart B wrote:

> Start of the RAC?

I'll be Marshalling!
Re: Got to be London hasn't it? - Tomo
I was shot at.... Enraged husband?
Re: Got to be London hasn't it? - Mark (Brazil)
Frustrated kidnapper.
Back Roomers Meet - David & Guy Lacey
Somerset
Devon
Bristol at a push
Wiltshire/Gloucs would be OK I guess....
Re: Teasers - Brill
I wonder if Pavlov's dog would bring DW his slippers when he comes home, or just salivate on them?