Computer Related questions Volume 20 - Dynamic Dave

******** Thread now full, see volume 21 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=24030

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 20. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please \"Reply to\" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it\'s own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Virus in zip file - Nsar
Evening all. Doofus gets virus, can't seem to fix it, help!
I opened an .zip attachment from a friend, I think called your bill.zip or just bill.zip. The email was clearly bogus. As soon as I log on it starts sending multiple emails via Norton Anti-Virus which I can't stop other than by going into task manager which produces multiple 'program not responding' messages which I have to click 'end now' on individually. It does eventually stop them and then I can surf away contendly. I have downloaded every available update from MS today (no mean feat on a dial up I can tell you) and when I restarted, yes it was there still. I can't seem to find a specific patch on the MS site - any suggestions?
Thanks
Virus in zip file - Civic8
MS dont do anti virus programs.as you have Norton anti virus.try their site to get a cure.you wont cure otherwise.
--
Was mech1
Virus in zip file - Stuartli
Microsoft does offer support and cures for viruses although not, as you say, in an actual AV program/utility form.

That's why it's essential to keep checking regularly for critical and general updates at www.microsoft.com and WindowsUpdate for you particular operating system.
If the email was clearly bogus, why on earth did you open it?

The only virus the Symantec website comes up with as a possibility is:

securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w...l.

If you have Search and Destroy 1.3 and Ad-aware6 (plus SpywareBlaster hopefully as well to stop many such unwanted guests invading your system in the first place), make sure they are properly updated and run them.

If you don't have S and D and Ad-aware get them now! Ad-aware can be downloaded and then updated from www.lavasoft.de and S and D 1.3 from www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

SpywareBlaster is available here:

www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

In addition, go to Outlook Express>Tools>OptionsView>Layout. Disable (i.e. uncheck) Preview Pane and leave this PERMANENTLY disabled.

By doing so you prevent any virus etc being allowed to do its dirty work merely by clicking on an e-mail.

If you have any doubts about an e-mail, highlight it with one click and use the Delete button on the Toolbar (top of the page).

You can still read the e-mail safely by highlighting it with a right-click, selecting Properties and looking first at the header information and the, via Message Source, the e-mail message itself.

If there is anything suspicious, keep clicking Cancel until you get back to the highlighted e-mail line. Again, delete using the Delete button on the Toolbar.

Finally, if you continue to adopt what appears to be a cavalier approach to protecting your system then you have got a lot more "fun" to come. I don't think those with whom you are in contact by e-mail would be happy and smiling either...:-)
Virus in zip file - malteser
i am surprised that the AV program did not catch this virus on download from your ISP's mail servers!
If I ever download or receive any files from the internet, I scan them with my AV (Panda) before opening them.
Good advice re the preview pane too, but it would be possible, I think, to right click on an attatchment and "save as" in a location where it could be scanned at leisure.
Roger. (in Spain).
It could be that the AV program had not been updated on a regular basis.

Yes, it would be possible to right click on an attachment and read it elsewhere at leisure in a chosen file.

However, you have failed to appreciate that with the Preview Pane enabled, merely clicking on that e-mail would almost certainly free any virus it contained and that reading it elsewhere would be rendered meaningless.

Disabling the Preview Pane permanently prevents the risk of doing so in a moment of carelessness or being distracted.
Virus in zip file - NowWheels
Disabling the Preview Pane permanently prevents the risk of doing so
in a moment of carelessness or being distracted.

... or use an email client such as Pegasus, which refuses ever to open an attachment in preview unless you specifically tell it to open that attachment. It will never run an executable file from within pegasus -- you have to save it first.

Other non-microsoft email clients such as Eudora and Thunderbird may have similar features, but I haven\'t checked recently.

In any case, if you are concerned about avoiding viruses etc, the best advice is always to avoid Microft\'s emailers and the Internet Explorer browser. There are much better alterantives available, such as Opera or Mozilla
Thanks for your concern, but I've been using Windows since the 3x days of the late 1980s and have gone through 95, 98, 98SE and now XP Pro.

I used to use Netscape Navigator in the mid-1990s but eventually switched to Internet Explorer and Outlook Express; I receive dozens of e-mails daily and send almost as many.

The only virus I've encountered (well two actually) have been in the last three years.

That's down to proper maintenance of IE, regular updating of Norton 2002 (now the free version of AVG), S and D, Ad-aware and SpywareBlaster.

It's just down to common sense and simple care.

Virus in zip file - Baskerville
Other non-microsoft email clients such as Eudora and Thunderbird may have
similar features, but I haven\'t checked recently.

They do. They are better than Outlook--sometimes known as Outbreak--in many ways. Thunderbird is annoying in others, but is improving all the time; it\'s still Beta software.
In any case, if you are concerned about avoiding viruses etc,
the best advice is always to avoid Microft\'s emailers and the
Internet Explorer browser. There are much better alterantives available, such as
Opera or Mozilla

As in nature so in computing. Genetic diversity is a good thing, helping to make the hacker\'s job much more difficult.
Virus in zip file - Nsar
>>If the email was clearly bogus, why on earth did you open it?<
er, because the email was from a friend. I don't reply to emails from friends beforem opening them to check that they have indeed sent me something. Do you?
Thank you for the links.
Virus in zip file - malteser
>>If the email was clearly bogus, why on earth did you
open it?<
er, because the email was from a friend. I don't reply
to emails from friends beforem opening them to check that they
have indeed sent me something. Do you?
Thank you for the links.

Yes I do check mail from friends!
That is how virii spread, by using your friend's infected computer to send mail to all the names in your friend's address book!
Roger. (in Spain).
Malteser beat me to this answer..:-)

It may well have had your friend's name on the e-mail, but it is most unlikely that he/she is even aware of the fact that his/her name and e-mail address is being used.

Some viruses invade the address book and send themselves out to all those listed on it and then, if someone isn't careful, repeat the process.....

I would advise your friend of the possibility that they could be harbouring a virus - he/she won't be the first and most unlikely to be the last.
Virus in zip file - Dalglish
nsar,

quite likely the netsky or bagle type virus.

disable the e-mail client, then
try the free remover files available, eg

www.grisoft.com/us/us_remtext.php?id=bagbugnet
"
Download the remover vcleaner.exe. Restart your computer in Safe mode and run the remover on the infected computer.

Note: Some viruses can stop the action during the removing process. In this case rename the vcleaner.exe to some different exe file (e.g. something.exe). Restart your computer in Safe mode (recommended) and run the remover on the infected computer.
"

Grisoft, Inc. (c) 2003 top webmaster homepage
Stumped for Ideas - sleep mode? - coffee_break
Hello
I've been reading the board for a while and hope someone can help me please.
I'm on a borrowed computer as my own has suddenly refused to co-operate with me at all, it was ok last time I used it last Thursday but my teenager's been on it since.

Symptoms - turn on power to boot up, monitor gives me the no video message I always get, then immediately green light on monitor goes out and turns to orange, screen totally black. Stalemate. Power remains connected to tower even when I switch the off button there. My virus protection was all up to date so far as I know, and the OS is XP home.

Obviously I can't log on or see anything to give me a clue and surfing the net quickly on this comp hasn't found me any other answer.
I'm a hapless female with little computer knowledge, and not much cash for a repair man.

Has it somehow gone to sleep mode? and could anyone suggest anything to help please?
Stumped for Ideas - sleep mode? - Stuartli
Does your system use XP?

If so, then the offspring may well have altered Administrator and/or Guest User rights.

However, your symtoms indicate that no video signal is being received by the monitor (orange light). Try checking that the graphics card is properly inserted into its slot, after switching the system off using the PSU's on/off switch at the back of the case (not at the mains, which earths the system).

Before checking the card, touch a metal part of the system case with your fingers to get rid of possible static electricity, hence the requirement to not switch off at the mains.

Also check that all the video related connections/leads are tight and properly inserted.

Another possibility is that the offspring has been playing games and set the resolution and/or refresh rates beyond the graphic card's capabilities.

In this case, you will need to temporarily reinstall Windows' VGA driver and reset the configuration in Safe Mode.

Sorry I forgot to say this - noticed the problem first when trying to connect using a lap top -it said there was no dial tone and a problem. It turned out that the pc was causing a fault on the line. We had just suffered a huge thunder storm and the power had been on and off about 8-10 times during the morning. The pc was plugged in at the wall and the power on, although I had not switched it on at the tower or monitor.

Didn't know if those facts make any difference?
Thanks
Well yes..:-)

If you don't have surge protection then it's highly possible that your modem /andor other component has been fried.

We rarely have thunderstorms in my area, but normally you would switch off at the mains supply and unplug the modem's RJ11 cable from the rear of your system's case.
Stumped for Ideas - sleep mode? - malteser
I can, from personal experience, confirm what Stuartli has said about thunderstorms.
When I was living in the UK, we had a huge flash of lightning which came to ground about a hundred meters away - literally a bolt from the blue. My PC was on (with a power surge protector) , my modem was not in use but the charge came down the telephone line and fried the PC!
Luckily my household insurance (Prudential -thank you !) paid out for a new PC tower.Now I always unplug not only the electricity supply, nut also the telephone connection, if I suspect a storm in the offing!
Roger. (in Spain).
Sorry Stuart our posts crossed. Thanks for the ideas.

Offspring is a daughter, she says she's done nothing except use msn and hasn't touched anything she shouldn't - but then she never admits to anything

Sorry to be dense, but I need to insert the cd to reinstall the driver? and as for starting in safe mode - how do I know because I can't see anything?

(have checked all the cables etc)

Do you think a fried modem is most likely though? the storm was really bad, and as I say it caused the fault on the line which recovered as soon as I unplugged the cable to the phone socket?

Would that mean that the screen was affected?
The graphics card drivers will be on the CD-ROM which should have been supplied with your card, but it's always best to use the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

However, the only way to check properly is via Device Manager, which is clearly not possible at the moment.

When you switch on, do you get the normal opening page first, with DEL at the bottom?

If so, immediately keep pressing the F5 button until you get a menu choice. Select Safe Mode.

Once in Safe Mode you can go to Device Manager, highlight your graphics card and click Properties. Then you should be advised if the driver is working properly or not.

If it is, cancel out from Device Manager, then right click on an empty area of the Desktop and bring up Display Properties. Click Properties. You can then check that your resolution setting is correct (normally 1024x768 for a 17in monitor) from the Settings tab, Colour quality for Medium 16bit and, from the Advanced tab>Monitor tab that the refresh rate is 85MHz.

From the Adapter tab, click on List all Modes; this reveals what resolution/refresh rates your card is able to provide. Set as above if necessary.

Reboot to let the changes take effect. You may have to drag and drop your desktop icons into their original positions.

If none of this works, then there will have to be a rethink..:-)
Thanks again for trying to help.

Not having any joy today don't even get a page to look at.Nothing, the green light comes on, and then it immediately changes to orange and the screen dies.

At the moment I have disconnected all the cables (everything had looked to be connected ok though) cleared the desk, cleaned everything I can without damaging anything (and it's still all disconnected now)

A friend has said my graphics card sounds similar to one she had
64MB NVIDIA GFORCE2 TI TV-OUT. She says that it gave out about the same age as this one, and that upon looking they found a hidden fan which was clogged with dust - therefore leading her to believe it had fried?

I'm tending to blame the storm, I never knew I should've unplugged everything at the wall (but I do now) I don't have a spare monitor to experiment with.

I have a couple of local pc shops, and a PC World in town. Should I go and purchase another card (if so what?) and try to install it myself (bearing in mind the thought of opening the case scares me) or should I look for a repair man? (If so do I have to take it all to the shop? or do they prefer to come to you?)

Any further advice would be appreciated.
Surely you have a friend whose computer savvy?

I wouldn't even contemplate going to PC World or similar big high street outlet with a computer system or, in the majority of cases, even patronise them.

Try a small, independent and friendly computer shop - you might pay a little more but it's worth it for peace of mind.

A similar card will cost about £30 or so and should, in theory, just slot in after removing your present one. But it would be wise first to check the current card in another system just to be sure it is kaput.

To take it out, take the same precautions as mentioned earlier, unscrew the blanking plate holder at the rear of the case and lift the card gently out of its slot. Hold carefully and only by the edges or the blanking plate cover/holder.

Test in another system if possible.

Stumped for Ideas - sleep mode? - Mark (RLBS)
Borrow a monitor. To be honest it sounds like a monitor fault anyway, but at least if you borrow a screen from someone else you'll know straight away without spending any money.

If you can't borrow one from someone else, then take your monitor to their house and plug it into their computer and see if it works then.

If it turns out the monitor is not the fault then you have a decision. It could well be the graphics card, but it might not be. And if it isn't, then buying items one by one until you find out what it is could be expensive and potentially fruitless anyway.

Is it a new enough computer that you wish to keep it ? Perhaps you need to consider whether or not a replacement PC is the answer if the change in screen doesn't help. You would be able to add your current disk to a new machine easily which would avoid losing any data - and that really isn't difficult to do.

If you don't wish to replace it, then I would take it to a PC repair person. In the end if it turns out to be the graphics card after all it may have cost you a little more than simply to go and buy one. But if it isn't that, then a PC repair is likely to work out cheaper in the long run.
Stumped for Ideas - sleep mode? - Baskerville
Sorry to hear that, but it does sound like the card (or some other crucial component) is dead. A repair shop will be able to give you a definitive answer. Video cards are not expensive and it is also quite easy to do it yourself, but if you are lacking in confidence it is best left to someone who knows what they are doing (and will pay for their mistakes). Not wanting to worry you further, but it would be quite surprising if a power surge had damaged only the video card. The fact that the power switch doesn't shut down the tower suggests something else (the motherboard?) has been fried. When you're pricing up the work bear in mind that you can get a perfectly usable complete new system for £400.

PC World: convenient but very expensive in my opinion.
The fact that the power switch doesn't
shut down the tower suggests something else (the motherboard?) has been
fried.

Just a thought: have you tried holding the power button in for a few seconds until the machine shuts down? If that works it might not be so bad.
Oh you posted while I was typing - see my last post ;)

(it's not sooo bad then?)
As Mark says, try to get your neighbour to try out your monitor and video card on his machine if he can. If the thunderstorm was the cause it would be surprising if the video card was all the damage, but if the motherboard/cpu are ok most other things are cheap enough. Try the monitor and card somewhere else first anyway. And if you're lucky it's just a coincidence about the storm.
The whole system was from Mesh just over two years ago, as we only use the computer for internet, email and word processing I don't really want to buy new again - the total cost then was £1,155, and if it was working it does the job just fine.

Have discovered that the tower will turn off if I keep it pressed in a bit longer.

I don't really know anyone around here that well, but my neighbour may just be able to help at the weekend. I may leave everything in bits and ask him to plug it in and look then - I'd be a bit scared of borrowing anything and damaging it (I'm a wimp)

With what you've all said I now have a bit more knowledge and confidence to talk to him without seeming completely dense.

Oh and btw, I don't usually go to those big out of town stores. If my neighbour recommends a new card, or repair, I'll go local.

If it's got to be a replacement, then I need to think very carefully indeed.

Thanks again for all your help
Stumped for Ideas - sleep mode? - Robin Reliant
Like many pc users, you seemed to have bought a much more expensive machine than you needed. If you only need internet access and some basic word processing even the lowest spec pc you can buy will be well up to the job.

Probably be better to look for a used machine from a reputable dealer than start throwing ever increasing amounts of money chasing hardware faults if it turns out to be anything other than just the monitor.
Internet Explorer - Page won't display - Dwight Van Driver
Have Internet Explorer 6 with SP 1 installed on 2 year old Dell Dimension with Windows ME..

System seems to work OK does what I want it to do and I get about various sites, but - and it annoys me....

When connected to the Web via AOL 8 and I open Programmes/Internet Explorer all I get is - Page cannot be displayed. There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed. Then some "try this" - done no effect and ends with information -HTTP 500 - Internal Server Error.

Looking through the MS Problems bits and pieces did download recent Critical patches one being KB 832894 which required additional KB 831167 to stop server error from 894. But that doesn't help. Fault remains..

Have uninstalled and re-installed IE. NAV/Spybot check negative. Now lost as to what to do.?

Did read item in The register that AOL supposed to have blocked IE but when I contacted them on their Help line they say they use IE as server. Could this be the reason why the page states cannot be displayed???

Comments please.

DVD
Internet Explorer - Page won't display - Baskerville
Have uninstalled and re-installed IE. NAV/Spybot check negative. Now lost as
to what to do.?

1. Do you have a firewall? If so is it blocking IE from accessing the Internet?

2. AOL is unlikely to block IE deliberately because Windows Update depends on it. Given that you say you downloaded a patch, does that mean Windows Update works?

3. "IE as server". What do you think they meant by that?

4. In my experience the AOL software itself is likely to break your system. Have you recently upgraded AOL?

Internet Explorer - Page won't display - Stuartli
My son, an IT support specialist, once told me that if I ever installed AOL and ran into problems then I would be entirely on my own.....:-)

Bit like RealPlayer in attempting to take over your system.
Internet Explorer - Page won't display - Mark (RLBS)
What happens if you then try and enter another URL into IE ? It might simply be that the page it is trying to use as the IE home page is not available but that the connection is working.

If not that, look in IE under tools/internet options/connections. Is it trying to use a connection which is not available to it ? If you're connecting via AOL then IE should probably be showing "Never dial a connection".

Finally the suggestion about your firewall is a good one. Which are you using ? For example if you were using Zone Alarm you would double click the icon to open it, go to programs and read down the list to see if IE is prevented from accessing the internet.

Internet Explorer - Page won't display - Mark (RLBS)
DVD ??
Internet Explorer - Page won't display - Dwight Van Driver
Sorry Mark for delay been playing around all day and still cannot resolve.

Zone Alarm asks for access right and grants so is OK. Critical Updates seem to work according to Log.

Been trying various AV sites to see if Norton is missing something to no avail.

Looks like a trip to the Docs but as I say not critical as I can do what I want irrespective of the fault.

Thanks for the advice to all.

DVD
Internet Explorer - Page won't display - John R @ Work {P}
DVD,

Have you checked that the "Home Page" it will be trying to go to on starting is still a valid page or site??? Try setting another site as the Home Page.
(Tools Menu > Select Internet Options > On the General Tab > Set your Home Page)

Also check your Privicy settings in IE, if they are too high (ie. blocking all cookies, some pages will not display).

John R
W32.Spybot.worm & W32.korgos. - pmh
System running XP Home. Norton 2004 was alledgedly uptodate but I doubt it! But it is now uptodate.

Is anyone aware of an automated removal tool that works for these?
The machine owner is not very computer literate and I am wary of getting hooked in too deep. Doing Registry edits is not the best way of spending my holiday. I do not have Broadband here and my browsing abilities are therefore a little restricted.

AVG vcleaner does not appear to work, or find them.
Norton 2004 finds the virus but will not clean/delete even with Sys restore off.

The system keeps trying to access
siliwolf.reronic.net and s.idolz-hq.net
and sending VERY large amounts of continuous data (via Broadband). I assume that this is a byproduct of these worms????

i have advised the owner to get all MS updates when machine is up and running again and to to get her online internet banking facilites barred for the time being. And keep machine off line as much as possible.

Any other advice?

pmh (was peter)
W32.Spybot.worm & W32.korgos. - Dynamic Dave
pmh (was peter), can't help with your problem, but please take a moment to see the message at the top of the page "PLEASE NOTE: When posting a NEW question...."

I've corrected it this time. DD.

W32.Spybot.worm & W32.korgos. - Smartdealer
Antivirus software wont help in this situation. Not sure there is an automated tool for this one but it's a 2 minute job to remove it anyway. Just print these instructions out
and work through it very carefully.

www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojspybotfam.ht...l

There'll be instructions for korgo on that site too.

Now for the important bit...when both worms are removed run windows update. Be amazed at how many critical patches are required!
Display Problems - malteser
Oh dear - I have got myself into a pickle!
I have been trying to adjust my display settings to a higher resolution and after applying the larger setting of 1024 X 768 pixels I found that icons and fonts were too small to use easily. I fiddled with various font sizes and icon sizes. I have reached a situation where I cannot undo the changes as the \"Properties\" box in Display Properties is too large for me to access the \"Apply\" button. In spite of dragging the task bar off screen, altering the screen size in my monitor controls and so on, I cannot apply the changes. The result is a Desktop with HUGE icons & fonts and normal windows with HUGE text in all the title bars, menus etc.
I am running XP, so my first thought was system restore, but my PC refuses to restore to any earlier point I select.
In addition, unless I select the largest font size in IE \"View \"menu, web text remains tiny!
SWMBO will kill me unless I can sort this out - Help!

In previewing this message I note that the site will not allow the word starting with \"F\" which describes the size of the type! The **** are not naughty words!
Roger. (in Spain).

{The ****\'s have been amended. DD.}
Display Problems - AngryJonny
If the only problem you have is that you cannot see the "Apply" button in order to click it (have I understood you right) then you can get around this by changing the select box to the resolution you want and then pressing the "A" button on your keyboard. Well, it works in Windows ME anyway.

Alternatively, once you've selected your resolution, press tab 4 times and then return.
Display Problems - frostbite
Or simply start in Safe mode? Assuming they still do that in XP.
Display Problems - Kuang
Or simply start in Safe mode? Assuming they still do that in XP.

Yup - for the record, you can do this. Press F8 after the POST check but before the XP startup screen and you'll get a plethora of startup options.

Hmm.. I like the word plethora. :)
Display Problems - malteser
You learn summat new every day! Thanks E34kid - worked a treat and my life is safe - until the next time!
Roger. (in Spain).
Display Problems - AngryJonny
Heh - it's nice to know that XP doesn't differ *that* much from ME. I can still consider myself semi-up-to-date. ;-)
Display Problems - Stuartli
If you go to Desktop, right-click for Display Properties and then, from Settings>Advanced button>Adapter tab, click on List All Modes, only those resolution/refresh rate etc your graphics card can handle will be listed and available.

If you also Allow Changes without Restart you can find which one suits you, but set refresh rate to a minimum of 85MHz, the figure that prevents flicker for 99 per cent of monitor users. Little point either in setting it any higher.

font sizes etc are set from the Appearance tab.
Display Problems - Stuartli
Don\'t know where the asterisks came from - should read \"fonts sizes etc\"

We\'ve had to put \"font size\" in the swear filter to stop people using HTML on their posts. I\'ve edited your post so the asterisks no longer appear. ND
T H A N K S ... - SjB {P}
... for the advice I received regarding what appeared to be a Windows ME display driver problem in volume 18 (See www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=23...4 now locked)

Having been fired with hope regarding returning to a previous restore point, to my consternation I found that this option had been switched off via the Control Panel (though I have now enabled it in case needed in future)

In the end, I solved the problem via a bizarre route tried out of desperation, that appears to make no sense. I share it here to close the thread, and for the potential benefit of others.

Logged on as Administrator (the only User at this point)
Created new User
Logged off as Administrator
Logged on as the new User
Changed desktop size and colours
Rebooted
Logged on again as the new User
Observed desktop changes were not implemented
Rebooted
Logged on as Administrator
Deleted new User
Out of interest, changed destop size and colours as done many time before without success
Rebooted
Logged on as Administrator
Observed correct new desktop! :-)

T H A N K S ... - Baskerville
In the end, I solved the problem via a bizarre route
tried out of desperation, that appears to make no sense.
I share it here to close the thread, and for the
potential benefit of others.

When I was still suffering with ME I used to find that after a few months the system would become horribly slow and crashed all the time. I found that adding a new user account, copying my files across to the new user and deleting the old user often solved the problem. Incidentally all the users of my copy of ME had the same permissions by default so I'm not sure why the separate "Administrator" account existed.

Do bear in mind that if you get a virus or whatever you may not be able to get rid of it unless you switch off system restore and delete the restore points before running AV software.

I am now cured of ME by the way.
Mozilla and www.honestjohn.co.uk - Stargazer {P}
Since mid morning I have been unable to read any of the HJ web pages using mozilla (1.02), I just get the lhs picture of HJ and the adverts usually at the LHS appear in the centre of the screen. No other text.

It is ok under Microsoft IE (so I can enter this).

Anyone else with problems?

StarGazer
Mozilla and www.honestjohn.co.uk - Altea Ego
works ok on Mozzy 1.4.1
Mozilla and www.honestjohn.co.uk - Adam {P}
Funny you should say that. No doubt completely unrelated but Opera yesterday threw a wobbly - everything on the site was in blue Times New Roman - I thought it was a new design!
Adam
Mozilla and www.honestjohn.co.uk - No Do$h
No, we\'re rebranding with Orange Times New Roman. It goes so well with the pale yellow background

Mozilla and www.honestjohn.co.uk - frostbite
Relieved to see I'm not alone!

Page only half loads using Firefox - all seems to come to a halt when the bluestreak.com bit starts loading. Had to revert to IE (yuk) to get on here.
Mozilla and www.honestjohn.co.uk - Stargazer {P}
Yep, same symptoms and halts at the bluestreak bit

Ian L. (also resorting to uncle Bill's latest offering to write this.)

Mozilla and www.honestjohn.co.uk - Baskerville
Yes I'm having trouble with Firefox 0.9. If you're using Windows you can download an extension for Firefox that allows it to pretend to be Internet Explorer. I'm using Linux so the extension doesn't work, but luckily I have another browser which can also pull off this trick. I have to say I know of no other website I visit regularly that has as many problems as this one.
Viewing this site - Welliesorter
I can't view this site using Mozilla 1.7.1 or Mozilla Firefox 0.9.2.

Instead of the site content, I see a couple of banner ads and a long line of garbled HTML. I see this whether going to www.honestjohn.co.uk/home/index.htm or www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum.

I would ask if anyone else is getting the same, but anyone experiencing this won't see my post unless they switch to Opera or fall into the evil clutches of Internet Explorer!
Viewing this site - Alpha Dio {P}
I was having the same problem about 10 minutes ago - looks to be back to normal now, though...
Viewing this site - frostbite
Same here - reluctantly and resentfully using IE - already being discussed in Computer Related questions btw.
Viewing this site - Welliesorter
More of it seems to be working in Firefox now: I can get to the home page and to www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/index.htm but I still get the same problem when clicking a link on that page. I'm posting this in Opera.
Viewing this site - Stargazer {P}
Well, still unable to load the discussion forum, ok for the technical list of threads at least. Car by car breakdown isnt all working.

I am a little disappointed at this turn of events, the old site (and old backroom) would only work with IE, it was a welcome change when it started working properly with other browsers.

reluctantly reverting to IE for the moment

Ian L.
Still being forced into IE to get in here, I find that I have acquired a 'My Search' toolbar I didn't ask for and don't want.

Anyone else had this, and how to get rid? (can't find anything on toolbar)
Viewing this site - Adam {P}
I got this before in I.E. whilst I was tinkering about. I went into the Program Files and deleted a suspicious looking folder (can't remember what it was though). Make sure it's the right one though!

Someone will be along with a better idea

Adam
Viewing this site - Stuartli
There is a Search option for the Toolbar - right click on the Search button and see if you can enable Customise from it.

Otherwise it may be the MSN Search facility, which comes up if you have typed in an incorrect URL or IE cannot find what you require.
Viewing this site - Baskerville
I can't help with the IE problem as that's exactly why I don't use IE--it's hideous. Have you tried using the Firefox extension (assuming you're using Windows) I mentioned before? In Firefox click on

Tools>Extensions

That will open a box with a hotlink. Click that and you will be taken to the Mozilla site. Just click on the extension "IE View 0.8" on that page and it will install. That should allow Firefox to trick websites into believing it's the buggy, non-standards-compliant, out-of-date piece of software history that is IE (only without the security issues natch).

It's a good idea only to use this feature when you absolutely have to though, because you will be recorded as using IE and give Microsoft and their customers the impression that their market share is bigger than it actually is so they can carry on not complying with W3C standards.

I'm starting to wonder if this site has been deliberately broken to prevent people using browsers with pop-up blockers. So it's lucky we have this feature at our disposal (I'm currently using a browser called Konqueror on Linux, though it will show up in the stats as IE on XP). I've heard IE will get a pop-up blocker soon anyway, so if it is deliberate, it's daft.
Viewing this site - Mark (RLBS)
>>if it is deliberate,

Not as far as I know. I'll test it at home later.
That's good to hear Mark. Thanks.
Viewing this site - No Do$h
I'm starting to wonder if this site has been deliberately broken
to prevent people using browsers with pop-up blockers.

Not that I'm aware of.
I am wondering about the point of the Firefox 'IE extension'.

When I click on 'view this page in IE' it simply starts up IE!

Or have I done something wrong?
Or have I done something wrong?

I don't know as I haven't tried it. Sounds a bit lame if so, but convenient I guess. In Konqueror I get a list of OS/browser combinations to choose from in the Tools menu and then the existing browser just plays "let's pretend"--I assumed this was what the extension would do and it seems I was wrong to do that. Does Opera have this feature?
Viewing this site - Dalglish
baffled -

because this site works fine on my netscape 7 browser !
Forum and Netscape? - Cliff Pope
I've always used Netscape and until a few days ago the forum worked perfectly. Suddenly it has started loading only half a page, leaving out the vital bit in the middle. If I repeatedly press Reload it eventually finds the whole page. I've tried Explorer and it doesn't seem to have this problem.
Has something suddenly changed? I'm using Explorer 6.0 and Netscape 7.0, with Windows XP.
Forum and Netscape? - Dalglish
cliff pope

this subject is discussed in computer questions.

i just tested this sitte via my netscape 7 browser and it works fine!
Real Player - Wee Willie Winkie
Stuartli mentioned Real Player in a post.

I am running XP in a laptop. Quite regularly, when online, a Real Player icon flashes on the bottom right 'application list'. If I right click I can make the icon go away. However, it will easily re-appear.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get rid of this permanently? I've got Norton Anti-virus with all the bells and whistles so would have thought this would stop rogue applications plying their trade?

Many thanks.

DB
Real Player - Stuartli
Do you have RealPlayer installed? If so, that could be why the icon is appearing in the Taskbar.

As I mentioned before, unless you configure RealPlayer to do exactly as YOU want it to do, it will take over your system; much of it is a form of spyware and some links to RealPlayer featurs, updates etc.
Real Player - Wee Willie Winkie
No, not that I'm aware of! I'll have a proper look tonight and if I find the little rascal it's for the chop.
Real Player - Stuartli
Here's one completely unbiased view of Real...:-)

www.krellan.com/rant/real.html
Real Player - Stuartli
Sorry, I should have said System Tray - the Taskbar is the area from the Start button to the System Tray.

If you do have Real installed, right click on the RealPlayer icon and select Disable SmartStart. It should disappear the next time you boot your system.

It would have been configured to go in the System Tray when you installed Real and that's why I keep pointing out that it has to be configured to do as you wish.

To show the Volume control in the System Tray (or Notification area as its called in XP!), in Sound and Audio's Properties from Control Panel enable Show volume control in the Taskbar.
explorer status bar in german ?? why - Dalglish
its payback time - this problem has me foxed.

machine using windows 98se, ie6, viruses/trojans/spiyware none found, all language settings in system/software/hardware set as english :

since last week when spybot-sd-resident was installed and anti-virus swopped over to grisoft-avg:

1. the "windows explorer" (i.e. file-manager") status-bar has the word "arbeitsplatz" which apparently stands for "my-computer".

2. the "internet explorer" status bar ( where the internet zones are normally displayed as mixed, internet, trusted, etc. )now occasionally reads in german as "vertrauenswurdige".

does anyone know why?

and how to revert back to english only?

explorer status bar in german ?? why - Stuartli
>>its payback time - this problem has me foxed

One possibility:

security.openwares.org/
thanks stuatli. but that does not seem to be the solution.

i have found that in the registry settings for
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Inter
net
Settings\Zones\
the zones descriptions and names for zones 0 to 5 are in german!

also in the HKEY_USERS key for the same settings, but NOT in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key.

why that has happened i do not know.
explorer status bar in german ?? why - Mark (RLBS)
Dalglish,

Run hijackthis. I'm not neccessarily suggesting you need to use it to fix anything, but it will identify all those registry items which are not standard.

It might give you a few more clues.
mark(rlbs)
thanks. i have run spybot, hijackthis, cwshredder, avg-virus, etc.

the german language problem i had in the status bar has been resolved by manually typing in the english version of the key values. it seems the german version probably got in when my colleague tested winsweep www.winsweep.de ( www.winsweep.net in english) on that pc last week.

the only supposed problem found is by spybot which says i have a potential hijack problem at
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\open\command where the key value is claimed not to be ""%1"%*"

However, I have checked it to be fine.
regardless of allowing spybot to correct it automatically, and also manually reset it to be what spybot says it should be (which it was anyway), and also as a "value not set", the same problem is flagged up after every reboot.

logfile as below:

Possible extension hijack: Default command file handler (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\open\command\!="%1" %*

any clues as to what this could be?

re spybot problem -
logfile as below:

Possible extension hijack: Default command file handler
(Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTcmdfileshellopencommand!="%1" %*

any clues as to what this could be?

for the benefit of others who may get the same message on running spybot in win98se :

i have now found that this is a known problem, discussed on the spybot forum at
forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=184...5
Web page display - budu
I am using Windows 98 and I.O.6. Like an earlier enquirer, I seem to have messed up my screen display. It is fine for viewing this website but many others come up too large to fit the screen without scrolling sideways, with huge font sizes. It wasn\'t perfect before but is now worse. Can anyone suggest how to correct this please? Naturally, the huge \"help\" facility of the computer offers no clues.
Web page display - budu
Can\'t think how those asterisks got in. A little malicious virus perhaps? The word I actually typed was \"fonts\".

{The word \"font size\" was put in the swear filter to stop people using HTML on their posts. I\'ve edited your post so the asterisks no longer appear. DD}
Web page display - kennybase
If its the text size that is causing problems, you can resize text by holding down CTRL and moving the mouse wheel up or down.

Hopefully this will help.
Web page display - budu
This works brilliantly. Many thanks, Kennybase.
Web page display - Stuartli
This works, but it\'s best to sort it out properly.

Go to IE\'s View>Text size and then select Medium (this is the best all round solution) and come out again by clicking elsewhere on the page. You might have to do the setting it more than once for it to apply.

As Outlook Express shares IE\'s configuration, you will find that it also applies to font sizes in e-mails - if the font size is set to Large, then printing out e-mails could well take two or more A4 sheets...:-)
Laptop Insurance Repair contract thing.. - PoloGirl
I know I can't name names, but this is probably best posted here...

At the end of April, flatmate decided that my laptop might like to drink half a bottle of wine (an accident!). I have a coverplan for my laptop which includes spillage and dropping (my dad knows me too well I think!) so phoned up the helpline to arrange repair. They said to include the laptop and leads as it had been plugged into the mains at the time.

I have a clause in the cover that says that if they can't fix the laptop within 6 weeks I can have a new one. Lo and behold, after 5 weeks and 4 days, the laptop was returned to me. But no leads were included. As the battery was flat, I have no way of telling whether the laptop is fixed or not as it wont turn on.

After much chasing, 2 weeks later, a parcel arrived. It only contained the lead that goes from the 'power box' (the bit that you warm your feet on when you're sat at the desk - don't know what it's called!) to the laptop, and not the bit that goes from the box to the plug. Called them again and they said they'd order this bit as well and as soon as it arrived they'd send it out. Still no lead has arrived.

Three months on, and I still can't use my laptop, so in my eyes it's not fixed, and I should be given a new one. The, frankly useless, telephone support people say that's not right as the laptop was fixed within 6 weeks. But I can't test this as I still don't have the leads. Is it worth taking further? The laptop is three years old, probably past it's best, and if there's a good chance of me winning and getting a new one, I'm willing to give it a go.

(Failing that - is it possible to buy a generic lead that will enable me to use the damn thing again?!)

Any words of wisdom appreciated! Thanks!
Laptop Insurance Repair contract thing.. - Baskerville
Of course it may vary from laptop to laptop, but mine accepts a generic lead, the sort that usually comes with portable CD players and the like. The point is, if it fits it will be ok, because all you're doing is getting 240V AC into the transformer, ahem, foot warmer.

Good luck.
Laptop Insurance Repair contract thing.. - Mark (RLBS)
what is the make/model of the laptop ? And what does the connection into the, mmm, foot warmer, look like ?

We\'ve got boxes of the damn things and if you can tell me which one it is, I\'ll send you one.

Laptop Insurance Repair contract thing.. - Stuartli
Take it up with the insurance company direct and also contact your local Trading Standards department.

Find out the headquarters of the insurance company and write to the Chief Executive, puting the details about the laptop problems into concise form and including any telephone conversations made about the repairs; mark the envelope Private and Confidental.

If the Trading Standards department feel there is a case to answer they will take it up on your behalf, dealing with the TS in the repair shop's area.

There is no reason why you should be fobbed off in the hope that you'll go away quietly and not make a fuss after a while.
Laptop Insurance Repair contract thing.. - Altea Ego
Some of them take a generic lead, sometimes its the same type of plug that goes in the kettle (yup true)

Take your power supply (the brick or footwarmer) down to your local friendly pc shop (possibly even ... shudder ... pcworld)
or local small electrical shop and I ma sure they can fix you up with a lead for a few quid

Try the kettle lead first tho

..or even just the kettle lead from the kitchen...:-)

You are thinking of a figure of eight plug and cable.
...but make sure first that your laptop doesn't use a mains adapter type lead rather than a straightforward mains lead.....
Laptop Insurance Repair contract thing.. - Dalglish
pologirl,

see if the blog at
www.mastercare.blogspot.com/
is of any use in your case.