Computer related questions volume 21 - No Do$h

******** Thread now full, see volume 22 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=24259

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 21. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please \"Reply to\" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it\'s own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Viewing the HJ pages with Mozilla - Stargazer {P}
Mark,
Did you test for this problem? It varies, but this morning I cant even see most of the home page.

Its nothing to do with pop-up stoppers.....I use one with my IE enabled laptop and have no problems but my Linux desktop with Mozilla that doesnt block pop-ups hasnt worked with these pages for the last few days. No problems with any other pages either.

regards

Ian L.
Viewing the HJ pages with Mozilla - Baskerville
OK I'm using my O/H's computer ths morning, running IE6 on Linux and I can see the whole site--haven't used IE for months. But I've just been surfing for half an hour and I can't believe how many pop-up ads there are out there. It's driving me nuts so I'm going back to Mozilla.
Laptop coverplan, lead, footwarmer etc - PoloGirl
Morning!

Ok I tried the kettle lead (flatmate looked at me like I was a mad woman) and it doesn't work because the kettle lead has two pins and the footwarmer has three holes in it in a triangle sort of shape.

Bit reluctant to go to the shop mentioned above, as it's their laptop in the first place...and that blog is very interesting for the same reason!

Thanks for all the advice in the other thread... looks like I'm going to have to spend a bit longer listening to hold music.

Laptop coverplan, lead, footwarmer etc - Mark (RLBS)
PG,

e-mail me your address and the make/model of your laptop and I'll send you one.

It sounds like you've got either a Compaq or a Dell, but you'll need to confirm.
Just to let you all know I've now transferred my moderator love from No Dosh to Mark :)

Mark... I've sent you an email to your hotmail address

Thanks!!
Laptop coverplan, lead, footwarmer etc - No Do$h
Just to let you all know I've now transferred my moderator
love from No Dosh to Mark :)

My week just goes from bad to worse. :o(

>>My week just goes from bad to worse. :o(

Dunno why, Dave and I were never that struck on you anyway. And PG only said she loved you because she didn't realise you were short, stout, looked like David Brent and owned an unreliable tractor.
Now you're just being mean.
Blimey that was harsh... and I thought women were catty!

You started it.....

:: sulks ::
Mark, the lead arrived this morning and fits perfectly - thank you!!

No Dosh... pick your toys up :)

Can't. They're in the boot of my car, sat in a garage some 70 miles from here.....

I vote this the worst week of the year to date.
>>the lead arrived this morning and fits perfectly

Cool. I just hope that they had fixed your laptop.
Well it booted up fine this morning, but I haven't tried getting online with it yet, will wait until I get back from holiday for that.

No Dosh...have you voodooed your bad luck onto me? I snapped the stalky thing that locks/unlocks the car door off this morning, and then five minutes later got a parking ticket!

Grrr.
Laptop coverplan, lead, footwarmer etc - Altea Ego
Mark did mention he got the jinxed mains lead off ND
No Dosh...have you voodooed your bad luck onto me? I snapped
the stalky thing that locks/unlocks the car door off this morning,
and then five minutes later got a parking ticket!
Grrr.

No, but I can pretend I did if you promise to growl at me like that :o)
Grrr.
No, but I can pretend I did if you promise to
growl at me like that :o)

....and there's your answer to why it's unlikely you'll ever find me at a backroom get together! ;)
Mozilla problem - J Bonington Jagworth
It's not working in Mozilla (Firefox) here, either. I thought that perhaps it was just me, but HJ's is the only site I have found so far that is affected, so presumably something has been changed or 'improved'.

It's OK in Opera (which I am using now) and probably IE, although I try not to use that as it's such a security risk (not to mention all those pop-ups!). This isn't just anti-M$ paranoia, either, as you will read here..

www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/28/cert_ditch_explor.../
ISP Costs? - frostbite
Having had (yet another) frustrating 15 minutes spent constantly dialling - 87 times answered - to get connected on my anytime account, I had plenty of time to wonder whether they get charged per connection like the rest of us?

I do hope so.
ISP Costs? - Dalglish
frostbite -

re your unwanted "my search" toolbar - i am led to believe that it may be a coolwebsearch or other hijack.

check it out at cws website.

Not working in Netscape - Cliff Pope
Not really now a question, just to report that it suddenly works again. You obviously have done something, because not only will the pages now display again, but it is suddenly faster. Also the pop-ups have mysteriously vanished!
Many thanks
HJ Forum - Observation ref reading posts - SjB {P}
1) Open any HJ forum page
2) Select a post that interests you by clicking the hyperlink
3) Observe that when the thread opens and has completed 'building', the IE 'world' continues to revolve, and the progress bar halts part way across rather than completing and disappearing like you would expect.

In fact, whilst I type this post, I can see that the 'world' is still revolving (no, not THAT one, ha, ha, I'm still luckily revolving with it!) and the progress bar has frozen at about 99%.

Any ideas why, please?

Not a problem, as everything works, just curious as no other website I frequent exhibits this behaviour.

W2KP v5.00 SP3 and IE6 BTW.
HJ Forum - Observation ref reading posts - No Do$h
The site has been doing this for a few months now. No idea why.
HJ Forum - Observation ref reading posts - Altea Ego
oh yes - so it does

HJ Forum - Observation ref reading posts - J Bonington Jagworth
"progress bar has frozen at about 99%"

Sounds like another undocumented IE 'feature'. Try Mozilla Firefox - it really is worth the effort.

www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

HJ Forum - Observation ref reading posts - Dynamic Dave
SjB,

Please take a moment to see the message at the top of the page "PLEASE NOTE: When posting a NEW question...."

I've corrected it this time. DD.
Machine Locks up - any ideas? - Pezzer
My XP pro machine is locking up on a very regular basis it can be every minute (repeatedly) or sometimes after a few hours it is getting really frustrating. When I say it locks up the display freezes and nothing will shift it eg Ctrl, Alt, Del and the machine has to be restarted. Could this be something to do with my graphics card, I have tried updating the drivers but no joy, I'm thinking my graphics card has had it ? The cdrom drives still respond to the buttons and the hard drive/fan all still run.

Config:
XP PRo
Duron 1.3
Nvidia TNT2

Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated.

PS I have Zone Labs/AVG and run SpyBot/Adaware and have loaded all the MS updates
Pezzer
Machine Locks up - any ideas? - J Bonington Jagworth
It's worth taking the graphics card out, if only to simplify the set-up. You might also have to re-enable the on-board graphics in the BIOS immediately after you've removed the card. Probably Del or F2 while the machine is booting to get into it.

HTH
Machine Locks up - any ideas? - Altea Ego
If the motherboard has on board graphics. If it ain then taking the graphivcs card out will really screw you!

Doubt its graphics,

1/ Check the cpu fan is running and clean it out (the diddy one right on top of the duron chip)

2/trying going back to your last restore point

3/reload xp
Machine Locks up - any ideas? - carl_a
Make sure you have the correct drivers for the motherboard chipset (IDE, PCI, AGP, USB etc), these will most likely be from VIA,SIS or ALI and then update the Video card driver, are you using the generic Nvidia drivers as the company that made the board may have their own.

Modems & graphics cards sometimes have problems sharing IRQ's and can cause total lockups. Poor quality memory or incorrect bios settings will also cause lockup problems.
carl_a thanks what are IRQs ? Have seen this when looking at device properties/conflicts etc but never really understood what they are (although my modem is disabled).
Also do any incorrect BIOS settings spring to mind ?
>>Also do any incorrect BIOS settings spring to mind ?

Memory settings is a common problem, you really need to know the details of the memory to set this. If the bios hasn't been reset and the compnents are the same as when the computer was built it should not be the problem. If extra memory has been added thats different from the original then the settings might be wrong.

What brand of computer is it ?
Its a 4 yr old Novatech machine (VAT Mobo), the upgraded RAM memory has been in there for several years along with the u/g cpu - (I downloaded a memory tester and it didnt show any issues after a 30 min test).
Machine Locks up - any ideas? - Stuartli
As Windows assigns IRQs automatically, this is unlikely to be the problem.

It sounds, despite all the checks, as if the CPU is getting too hot - if you have AIDA32 look under the Computer folder and click on Sensor. This will bring up constantly updated CPU temperatures and also fan speeds.

nVidia drivers are completely compatible, both present and backwards, with its chipsets no matter who manufactures the graphics card. The only difference between the various graphics cards using the same nVidia chipset will be fewer or more features or better specifications.
Its not quite true that nVidia drivers are completely compatible, HP and some other brands make some computers that have there own specific version of an nVidia graphics chip. Parts of the chip are disabled and so normal drivers will cause problems, its always best to stick with the manufacturers drivers (if they do them).

As for IRQ's yes windows does assign them automatically but conflicts do happen (thats why windows & bios allow them to be changed). I have a lot of issues with PCI modems and VIA chip sets, if the IRQ is shared with something else then lockups happen, a simple change of the IRQ solves the problem.
It's always been my understanding over a number of years - confirmed by nVidia's own website - that its drivers are fully compatible with its chipsets from past, present or even future.

www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.76 (latest drivers)

With regard to VIA chipsets, some of them have always caused problems and is one of the reasons why I have never looked at a motherboard based on one.
Here is just one example (there are hundreds more), www.video-drivers.com/drivers/80/80880.htm

I have had very little problem with VIA chipsets, prefer SIS but wouldn't spend any extra to get one.
>>I have had very little problem with VIA chipsets, prefer SIS but wouldn't spend any extra to get one>>

You've done well not to suffer too much with a VIA chipset..:-)

I've stuck with my five-year-old Elite P6BXT-A+ mobo with, as you probably guessed from the model number, an Intel 440BX chipset - apart from the excellent chipset, the mobo is superbly stable, can be overclocked and which has housed a Celeron and, from a couple of months back, a swap to a Pentium PIII CPU (the mobo has both Socket 370 and Slot1 capability, the first of its type in the world).

Operating systems have been Windows 98, 98SE and now XP Pro.
Machine Locks up - any ideas? - Dynamic Dave
My XP pro machine is locking up on a very regular basis....

Check there are no obstructions in the way of the air vents. I had a carrier bag fall down the back of my machine once and it semi blocked the vents causing it to overheat and lock up at random intervals. Also check the cooling fan(s) is/are working. In the bios settings the fail alarm for the fans *might* be disabled and not warning you.

Machine Locks up - any ideas? - expat
While you are checking the CPU fan blow out any dust that has accumulated on the heat sink. You would be amazed how much fluff seems to get in there. While you are at it also blow off any fluff or dust on the rest of the motherboard and check that there is no dust on the grill at the back of the power supply. You should also have a very close look at all the capacitors on the motherboard to make sure that none are leaking. Capacitors are little round cylinders sticking up from the board. They should not be discoloured or have any discolour around the base. Watch out for bulging also. Dud capacitors usually mean the board is finished. I have seen quite a few motherboards with that problem lately.

If you have a separate graphics card another thing to check is that the fan on it is working. The graphics card is a circuit board which sits at right angles to the motherboard and which has a connector going to the monitor. On a lot of modern computers the graphics is built into the motherboard and doesn't have a fan but on older machines it is a separate board that plugs into the motherboard. A dud fan on the graphics card will result in the machine rebooting when the graphics gets a good work out such as a session of shoot em up games.
Folks thanks for you help here, I'll download AIDA32 again to see if I have an overheating issue. It made me wonder are there any logs or diagnostic downloads that might help tell me what is going on. In the meantime I'll get the cover open and see what going on with the CPU fan. However I'm dual booting with Mandrake Linux and I dont suffer the same lock up problem, which suggests a software prob to me ??
Machine Locks up - any ideas? - Baskerville
However I'm dual booting with Mandrake Linux and I dont suffer
the same lock up problem, which suggests a software prob to
me ??

That would indeed suggest a problem with XP. I would keep the lid on the box and start looking at software. What have you added recently, what's changed, have you downloaded updates, do you run a heavyweight security suite, such as McAfee? This latter caused no end of lock-up problems for me.
ChrisR, you may be right about the MS updates, trouble is this started a few months back when there was a spate of them. If I had to guess it was either after d/l one of these or perhaps after having run SpyBot (for the 1st time) when I first noticed the problem . No McAfee just Zone Labs & AVG.
Interestingly if I manage to shut down the machine properly it does seem to reduce the frequency of the crashes - its a shame that there isnt some sort of log which records what happened. However the kids loaded some games that didnt work at about the same time too so maybe I'll have a go at uninstalling them.

P
Machine Locks up - any ideas? - frostbite
I think if I had the problem described, I would run a registry checker/cleaner at a fairly early stage.
These links might help:

www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1089863397

forums.techguy.org/archive/index.php/t-248966.html

www.opentechsupport.net/forums/archive/topic/16836...l
Accessing Emails Via PDA & Mobile Phone - pete&hisgolf
I need to access emails when I am away from my office. At the moment I do so using internet cafes and read them via the Freeserve webmail facility.

I would like to be able to access them via a PDA and mobile phone. I currently have a Palm Vx, which I intend to upgrade to a Tungsten T3, and an ancient Ericsson PF768 phone.

Questions:

1. What would be a good phone contract that would allow me to access emails and browse the web? I make about 60 minutes worth of calls a month, usually between 9 am and 6 pm. I check my voicemails twice a day. I would anticipate downloading about 10 emails per day, mostly without attachments. I am currently on a T-Mobile monthly contract.

2. What would be a good phone for my needs? I don't need a camera or any other fancy bits and bobs but I do want something that will synchronise reliably (via Bluetooth) with a Tungsten T3 - I have heard that some phones have problems with this.

3. Finally, I will be changing from dial-up to broadband on my office PC. Can anyone recommend a reliable provider? I was thinking about a 512kb connection.

Thanks very much in advance.

Pete
Accessing Emails Via PDA & Mobile Phone - Altea Ego
1 dunno
2 most modern phones have the bluetooth working well these days,, funily nokias latest bluetooth models are very good now depite their earlier problems.

3/ Pipex. consistently the best in user reveiws both speed and service.
Accessing Emails Via PDA & Mobile Phone - carl_a
Agree with RF, Pipex are good Nildram & Eclipse are slightly better but they also cost more. Don't now about severice levels at Pipex because after several year i've never needed it.
Accessing Emails Via PDA & Mobile Phone - Stuartli
Pipex, with whom I've been since 1996, has been the UK's leading business and domestic ISP since it was established in 1991 and always lead the way in bringing in the latest technology or updating its facilities.

It's also earned an impressive reputation for excellent sales and customer care.

Its range of packages are first class and can be configured for mixed business and domestic use if required.
Flashing mouse pointer and cursor - bert-j
Why does my mouse pointer arrow and cursor flash on and off and sometimes disappear only on this web site? There always seems to be another item loading on the status bar at the bottom of IE. Has it anything to do with the adverts which are 'flashing' at me?! It's not a problem, just interested.
Flashing mouse pointer and cursor - bert-j
Sorry, put this topic in the wrong place. Would a moderator please move it to the computer queries section?
Thanks
Flashing mouse pointer and cursor - catcher
I have the same problem - but only on this site.
Flashing mouse pointer and cursor - Civic8
I just posted same thing but it never appeared??
--
Was mech1
Flashing mouse pointer and cursor - wrinx
Me three...but only over the past 2 or 3 days, at least thats when I notived :O

wrinx
Flashing mouse pointer and cursor - SjB {P}
Yup, me too, also only on this site, and also since some time mid week or there abouts.

Although the action still works if you remember where it should be, the mouse pointer disappears when hovered over a hyperlink and when opening the forum selection drop down combo box.
Flashing mouse pointer and cursor - Cardew(USA)
Me too in UK on Win ME and in USA with XP. Also in UK on BT Broadband the icon indicates the site never fully loads, and the same here on AOL dial up. ie the BT and AOL icons are still moving.

Likewise not a problem but strange.
Flashing mouse pointer and cursor - Civic8
strange is this.pointer is perfect at any other time untill I come to this site.no offence meant.to be precise.for me anyway.a recent thread is worse than old ie one that has had several replies.the less replies the more pointer flashes.dissapears.have been sorting out other probs so was only wondering why this occured??.not so far been able to work out why???
--
Was mech1
Flashing mouse pointer and cursor - HF
I have the same thing - wouldn't have thought anything of it had I not read this.
Ok...think I've sussed what it is, its the "Ask Jeeves" animation casugin the problems!

Can you test this....leave you mouse on a page with the Jeeves ani. It will disappear while the ani does its stuff, as soon as it finishes its cycle (large red ring appears) the mouse pointer will reappear. Then disappears again when it starts etc etc

wrinx
Sorry, for "large red ring"...read "backround changes to yellow"...doh!

wrinx
Flashing mouse pointer and cursor - Stuartli
I get the same thing - in fact the cursor disappears if left to its own devices and only reappears on moving the mouse slightly.

I don't have the hidden cursor setting enabled or anything on those lines.

Something is clearly still downloading on the page after initially opening it as ZA's panel reveals, but refreshing the page seems to stop the problem.
Flashing mouse pointer and cursor - SjB {P}
I see that the progress bar still doesn't complete, but the more frustrating problem of a disappearing mouse pointer seems to have been resolved during the today. TVM to whoever did so.
Aol? - Peter
I have been using AOL with no problems for the last two years, why do people not like it? Sensible and informed answers only.

Also, the e-mail system that comes with AOL, is it based on MS product as per Outlook Express or is it an AOl unique design. If the latter, does that make the program less vunerable to virus attack.

Thank you
Aol? - Baskerville
I have been using AOL with no problems for the last
two years, why do people not like it?

Several reasons, but primarily because the AOL software takes over your machine and tries to force you to do things the AOL way. AOL cannot be used with Linux*, for example (it is the only ISP that can't, although few actively support Linux), or with certain routers/adsl modems, and is often seen as a kind of spyware, monitoring your surfing habits. If you are happy with it, then that's fine, but many people won't put up with those kinds of restrictions. The software also has a (justified in my experience) reputation for causing serious problems with Windows, especially if you upgrade rather than do a clean install.

The other thing is, have you tried leaving AOL? Almost impossible if the experiences of a couple of my friends are anything to go by.

*The Linux instant messaging client, known as GAIM, can communicate with AOL users however.
Aol? - Mark (RLBS)
I think for people with no computer knowledge or those with impressionable children that AOL is fine - perhaps even recommended.

I prefer not because it doesn't work the same way as anything else I use and I don't want to be forced down somebody else's methods more than I have to be.
Aol? - Stuartli
My son, an IT support specialist, once told me that if I ever installed AOL on my system and had problems with it, then I would be entirely on my own sorting it out....:-)

But perhaps things have got a bit better since, although I've no plans whatsoever to use the service - it is, I understand, a bit like Real.com and if you don't configure it to do exactly as YOU want, then it takes over as pointed out by Mark (RLBS).
Aol? - carl_a
AOL, don't get me started.

They are more expensive than most ISP's out there, most of the time one of the slowest in the performance tables. They run their own software that doesn't work with standard protocols.

My main poblem with AOL is that they block email from whole ranges of IP addresses without telling either the sender or receiver that they have dumped the email. So if you don't get a mail you were expecting blame AOL.
Aol? - No Do$h
I've used AOL since 1995-6 and have used the same email address along the way.

I opened an email account with another ISP and notified everyone in my address book. 3 weeks later I had one email from known contacts in my new email and over 100 on the original AOL address. Several of these were contract related and therefore vital to my financial wellbeing.

Since so few people seem to be prepared to update their email address books I've stuck with them. AOL 7.0 was hideous and had me reaching for the hammer on more than one occassion. AOL 8.0 was an improvement, but still far from perfect. AOL 9.0 is miles better for speed and reliability, but a royal PITA if you have non AOL email addresses (such as my moderator email address) and you want to manage these through outlook.

If I can find a way to guarantee 100% uptake of a new email address I'll move but until then.....
Aol? - carl_a
This is exactly why no one should use the email address given to them by their ISP, buy a domain name and use that instead. Hosting isn't even required with some companies as the email can be forwarded to another address.
Aol? - No Do$h
This is exactly why no one should use the email address
given to them by their ISP, buy a domain name and
use that instead. Hosting isn't even required with some companies as
the email can be forwarded to another address.

Exactly what I plan to do.
Aol? - Altea Ego
>Exactly what I plan to do.

Not sure that www.nodosh.co.uk quite conveys the image you require in your line of work.
Aol? - No Do$h
>Exactly what I plan to do.
Not sure that www.nodosh.co.uk quite conveys the image you require in
your line of work.

LOL!
Aol? - Dalglish
guarantee 100% uptake of a new email address I'll move but

>>

no dosh:
q. - don't aol email settings allow you to specify a return/reply address? because if they do (as for example in outlook express), your contacts' replies will automatically come to the specified address despite them just pressing the "reply" button in response to your e-mails.

to prod contacts to change their address books, i usually include in brackets, as part of my name, the new address or a note to "see new reply address". i also repeat this in my signature.

hopefully after 3 to 6 months of this, you will get the message through to them. (after the change of my last isp, i found that only one errant e-mail went to them after 4 weeks).
Aol? - No Do$h
>> guarantee 100% uptake of a new email address I'll move
but
>>
no dosh:
q. - don't aol email settings allow you to specify a
return/reply address?

Fat chance, for the very reason that it would make switching away from them a lot easier.
Computer virus names - L'escargot
Seeing the publicity about the MyDoom-0 virus prompted me to think ~ who is it that gives computer viruses their names?
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Computer virus names - Citroënian {P}
One of the ways that names are given is down to the code of the virus itself -

My Doom came from a mis-spelling of MyDomain in that particular one.

--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
internet query - billy25
afternoon all,
whilst browsing this site today i recieved an I.M from an unknown source, (SXYGIRLXX) in which i was invited to visit her "obviously dubious" website. i blocked further I.M`s and E-mails from that sender and then deleted it.
however, this set my two brain-cells in motion, and after bumping into each other a few times they came up with the following query.
(bear in mind i browse using AOL + I.E, and always have done with no complaints,current versions are 9.0 + 6.0. i also always have my firewall (zonealarm) set to high, which is supposed to make my computer invisible whilst on line)
so:-
1) since i recieved this I.M and my friends also know when i am online, via thier "buddy lists", does this mean that Z.A`s high setting is not working? (doubtful)

2)the AOL software is bypassing my firewall allowing other sources to see that i`m online? (probable)

3)does this mean that AOL can bypass the security settings of most firewalls via a different port? and if so could this leave me open to possible virus/ security attacks?

FWIW, i have never had a virus yet!

billy.
internet query - frostbite
Could it be that your email address has been 'harvested', possibly from a friends addressbook?
internet query - Citroënian {P}
Hi,

Sounds like you might have an unwanted guest on your PC - run Adaware (from Lavasoft) and see if it finds anything.

Lee.

--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
internet query - Dalglish
billy25
i rather suspect you are using a basic zonealarm version.

for instance, does your za have imsecure function? which enables you to "Protects users of the most popular IM services and shields you from IM spammers, thieves, and online predators."

if yes, have you enabled it?

alternative means of stopping im spam are also available. do a google search to learn how.
internet query - Welliesorter
You haven't said what type of messages these are but from the context they're presumably sent via AOL Instant Messenger (AIM).

If so they're just a form of spam. In fact, so common are they that there's a word for them (spim). They're certainly not caused by spyware or malware unless you count the AOL software itself as an example of the latter. Some people do!

Try doing a Google search for 'spim'. You'll find a lot of information on the subject, in particular www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994822 .

internet query - billy25
thanks for the help chaps,
no ad or spyware present, and Z.A settinga as should be, so on this occasion after reading the "link", i think i have suffered my first "spimming!!". steps will be taken.......

cheers billy.
Firefox Discovery - Baskerville
A week or so ago this website wouldn't play nice with Mozilla Firefox and I pointed people in the direction of an extension called IE View so that they could look at the site more easily. I thought that would allow Firefox to mimic IE so that websites wouldn't know the browser was actaully Firefox. It turned out to be rather lame, but I've just discovered that it is possible to make Firefox mimic IE when necessary. Go to the Extensions website and in the Configuration category you'll find one called "User Agent Switcher." This thing allows Firefox to masquerade as IE6, Netscape 7.1, or Opera--you can choose which in the Tools menu. I've not tested it extensively, but the one site I know is IE only is certainly fooled by it.

Enjoy.
Firefox Discovery - frostbite
Cheers Chris. IE view is a bit pathetic isn't it.
Firefox Discovery - Welliesorter
IE view is a bit pathetic isn't it.

It does exactly what it claims to do: it opens a link in IE. It's intended for those sites that won't work properly in Firefox and for web developers, who need to see how pages look in more than one browser.

There's one problem with user agent switching. Sites keep logs of which browsers their visitors use. Pretending to be using IE all the time will give the site owners the impression that more people are using IE than is the case. This reduces what little incentive there is to design sites so that they will work in all recent browsers. I've never understod why Opera pretends to be IE by default.

I realise that, from this point of view, there's no difference between using fake or real IE.

For the record, this site seems to work fine in Firefox 0.9.2 now.
Firefox Discovery - Baskerville
Thanks for pointing that out Welliesorter. By default User Agent Switching reverts back to Firefox the next time the browser is opened for exactly the reason you outline. The reason why it's important for sites to work with Firefox, Opera etc. is that they comply with agreed "W3C" standards. Microsoft would rather establish its own standards and force others to meet them or go out of business, something that would be very bad for innovation.
Characters. - malteser
Does anyone know the keyboard input to create the upside down question mark and exclamation mark used in Spanish? I generally use Ariel and Comic sans MS as my preferred fonts, but can't seem to find these particular items in Windows character map.
I know they are there in my installed fonts somewhere, as when I use Systran to translate English to Spanish, asking a question or using the exclamation mark, the correct symbol appears at the beginning of the phrase as well as at its end.
Roger. (in Spain).
Characters. - Stuartli
www.unm.edu/~bquint/notas/keyboard.htm
Characters. - malteser
¡ Muchisimas gracias, Stuartli - incredibly helpful!
Roger. (in Spain).
Characters. - Stuartli
No problem - I've never yet come across anything that can't be solved in half-a-second or so with the right words keyed into the finest reference source available to man i.e. google.com or google.co.uk....:-)
Characters. - Stuartli
PS

Google's database is now close to six billion pages.........

You, it seems, live in Spain, so it might not work for you, but just keying in your own name and/or postcode will bring up some surprising links and information that you never knew existed.