Respray Quality - MarkSmith
Hi,

Someone has keyed the side of my car and it will need filling (in places) and respraying. I want to get this done properly so it looks like new (like the rest of the car does).

My old runabout had the bonnet and wing resprayed some years before I bought it, and over the years the resprayed pannels have faded, matted and discoloured. I don't care about this on the runabout, but I do care on my nice car.

My question is - what made that happen, and how can I ensure it won't happen when I get the key mark resprayed? If the runabout is anything to go by, it will be well out of the repair's guarantee period before any noticeable deterioration occurs.

(Yes, I do plan to keep the car that long.)

Thanks,
Mark
Not that I think it's relevant, but the car is a 1995 Rover 220 turbo coupe.
Respray Quality - Roger Jones
Check out Chips Away. Their St Albans franchise did an excellent job on a long and deep key scratch. That was 15 months ago and there is no sign of deterioration.
Respray Quality - steveo30
My personal opinion would be not to use chips away,

any quality bodyshop shop use top quality 2 pack and offer a warrenty on the paint they use, id suggest a main dealer as theyre forced to use good stuff

the reason your other cars paint faded is either they used cellulose or cheep 2 pack

id also suggest you mention how concerned about quality you are when getting quotes..we always go the extra mile for fussy customers

{Wording slightly amended due to coments that could be untrue. DD}

Respray Quality - Dynamic Dave

Is 2 pack still legal? I thought all paint had to be water based these days? Bar the use of lacquer that is.

Respray Quality - tr7v8
Water based is 2 pack, some spray shops use it but it is VERy expensive and not available for all jobs.

Jim
Thanks for the tips.

I called Chips Away on your recommendation, Roger, but the chap said he wouldn't do a scratch of this size (well over three metres long).

So I need to specify "good two-pack" paint then? I have a body shop in mind - did a very good job on a friend's car about a year ago and for a good price. If I ask him what paint he uses, would you be able to tell me whether it's "good"?

Thanks,
Mark
Respray Quality - Galaxy
MarkSmith,

No, a keying mark of that size is definitely not a job for "Chips Away"!

My friends wifes car was keyed all down the length of one side. To perform an effective repair you must be talking about spraying the whole side of the car, and then blending-in with the rest of the car.

Good Luck,

Galaxy
Galaxy,

The bodyshop chap said he would spray the front wing, top of the door, top of the rear quarter panel (no back doors) and blend in up the C pillar. There are body-colour plastic coach strip things along the middle of the door and rear quarter panel which he said he would spray down to.

Cheers,
Mark
Respray Quality - steveo30
if your planning to keep the car, insist that all moldings,handles,weather strips etc are removed before spraying

good quality places would do that anyway...if theyre masked up it increases the chance of the paint lifting/peeling because they couldnt rub down around the gaps...plus its always a dead give away