peugeot 406 hdi noise - braveheart
When I switch on the ignition but not the engine I get a whining type noise then it goes off then somtines you hear it again when the car is running ? Seems intermittent problem
also what is the recommended mileage for a cambelt
change on this model. There 37000 on the clock.
peugeot 406 hdi noise - Ben79
Have you got climate control?

I have CC in my C5 and get the same noise as you describe, it lasts about 4-5 seconds?
Yes I have CC but the noise seems to last a lot longer then goes off ,then sometimes back on, I think once car has been running a while it disappears.Had the car over two years first time I have noticed this.
peugeot 406 hdi noise - Bromptonaut
HDi 110 Xantia has a similar habit but it's been there since new. Occasionally repeats/prolonged on short run and restart. Been told either it's some sort of POST by the ABS or the fuel system self priming.

HJ suggests a cambelt change and attention to the bottom pulley around 70k (for the Xant) think the OEM figure is nearer 100k?. See car by car breakdown.
peugeot 406 hdi noise - DL
The noise will be the low pressure fuel pump, the noise heard with the engine running will be fuel cavitation in the filter itself.

Curable by fitment of a modified housing and a pulse damper.

HDi cambelt I suggest a change at 60k and the rubber-mounted crankshaft pully if that hasn't been attended to by then, also. If you want to see what the net result of pulley failure is, have a look at the pics in my signature link.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
peugeot 406 hdi noise - CG
Peugeot suggest cambelt change on the HDi 90 at 96,000, according to my handbook, and my check with a franchised dealership last year. Fortunately this engine is said to have a good record with the cambelt.

The noise described sounds like the 'moaning' noise I had with mine, from new. It was intermittent but irritating, and could even be heard outside the car. It was completely cured by the fitting of a damper in the fuel line, although it took quite some time to track down and identify the cause. Someone described this to me as a resonance in the fuel system.

CG
I'll post up a pic of where to fit this damper, it's pretty easy.

I have a spare one in the bottom of my toolbox......
--
peugeot 406 hdi noise - bobster1980

hi mate do you uave a picture of the damper fitment for the 406 hdi fuel vibration problem and also where do you fit it?!

cheers

ROB

Hi I am having this problem where and what is a fuel damper do you know where I can get this from and what I ask for, do you know where to fit it.? Cheers
Thanks to all replys. I went for a long run yesterday after 5 mins noise disappeared.Never heard it again.
Back again this morning on a short run to work !
A little tip for you.

Remove the fuel filter (22mm socket req'd) and have a close look in the bottom of the housing.

Do you see any small brass/copper particles?
--
Next time at the garage I will get the guy who looks after my car to check these out..Many Thanks..
peugeot 406 hdi noise - RichardW
>Do you see any small brass/copper particles?

First sign the low P pump is on its way out, DL?

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Yep, sure is Richard.

If caught early enough, no lasting damage will result.
--
Hi I am having this problem where and what is a fuel damper do you know where I can get this from and what I ask for, do you know where to fit it.? Cheers
peugeot 406 hdi noise - Peter.N.

Does your 406 have an auxilluary heater?

aux heater? not too sure what is that i has climate control and glow plugs, it has a small block where the fuel lines come from the bulk head ( been told these are the fuel lines to the tank) these then goto a small 3 -4 square cm box (been told these are for heating fuel before it goes into the pump?) the ibration ajd humming sound co-insids with the fuel lines that come from the bulkhead, they vibrate alot giving a humming sound i the car. is this the lift pump in the tank giving me problems or the damper i hear people tLK ABOUT? IF THE DAMPER WHAT DOES IT look like and where does it go? i recently got a new filter ajd housing as when i tried to change the filter inside the b***** kept on trandfering all the diesel all over the floor £90 later and a dear expence... not great any sugestions with the hunming guys?

cheers