ignition light - Vauxhall Astra - sajid
a few days ago my astra 1.4 l reg when i turned the key the ignition light was not lit, but the car started, i assumed i had a connection problem somewhere and i sprayed wd40 on the leads, battery connections, and its only since yesterday that the ignition light has lit up, my car has a standard immobilser and alsrm fitted, my question is what causes it, and is it serious, the car has no problem starting up it starts first time, i had a alternator replaced a year ago, if the alternator failed i would have had a flat battery any thoughts???
ignition light - Vauxhall Astra - Dynamic Dave

Check the earth strap from the engine block to the alternator. The alternator is isolated from the engine with rubber bushes and the earth strap can snap off at the lugs through vibration.

It happened to me when I used to own an Astra. Thought it was just the bulb blown, and decided that I would get around to changing the bulb at the weekend. I made that decision on a Wednesday - by Thursday evening the battery was all but flat and nearly left me stranded. I had no tools on me and drove home in the darkening evening on hazzard lights. Every time they flashed the engine stuttered.

ps, I've added the make of your car to the subject header.

ignition light - Vauxhall Astra - sajid
thanks dave i check it out is the eart strap connected to the body work or is it the alternator connections i should be looking at ?
sajid,

There should be an earth strap which is connected to one of the bolts that hold the alternator onto the engine. The other end of the earth strap should be connected directly to the engine.

I say *should*, but as I mentioned early, it's probably not actually connected at the moment.

sajid,

Any luck?