52 Plate Corsa Steering Problem - daveyK_UK
Hi guys,
im a bit clueless on the newer corsa mechanics and was wondering if anyone could shed light on a problem.
The power steering malfunctions and fails to operate randomly when the car is both in motion and when stopped. the dash board light comes on when this happens.
however the problem seems to go away on its own accord.
the main dealer isnt interested and AA says it can recognise their has been a problem but cant figure out what.

car is 52 plate corsa sxi 1.7 diesel.

any ideas?
52 Plate Corsa Steering Problem - RichardW
52 plate - ergo still under warranty? Take it back and make lots of noise!

I guess it has electric power steering and probably the motor is randomly failing (or could be a supply problem, or earth problem....). Not really your problem if under warranty though.

If it were mine and not under warranty I would try and rig a test light onto the motor so I could see if I was losing power or the pump.

Course, if it's not electric, I'm steering completely up the wrong road!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
52 Plate Corsa Steering Problem - hairdresser
Just before i sold my last corsa, same as yours, now got a new one the same, the steering was noisy on that. Take it back under warranty.
52 Plate Corsa Steering Problem - Deryck Tintagel
I suspect that the steering may be electro-hydraulic (EPHS) although as others have said it could be en electric drive (EPS). I know that the Astra uses EPHS so I would guess that the Corsa does, too.

Question. Does the steering gradually lose assistance or is it all or nothing? Does cycling the ignition switch restore assistance?

The steering may gradually reduce assistance available if the motor gets too hot.

One thing to look at is the state of the alternator voltage - too low or too high and it will probably remove all assistance. My father's Skoda had this problem.

There could be a problem with the ECU or connection to it. I can't say for certain but I would guess that it will need a signal to tell it that the engine is running and therefore the alternator is providing cahrage to the battery.

Check the warranty - the car may only be covered after the first year if it has been serviced by Vauxhall but I would not expect the steering to fail at two years!

52 Plate Corsa Steering Problem - Edd
The corsa uses an electric rack which are terriable the problems vauxhall have had with them are extensive.