Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - arnold2
I am leaving my Corolla for a couple of weeks parked. Last time I did this, the front brakes nearly seized due to corrossion on the front disc (it had rained whilst I was away).

So, question, is there any way to avoid this ?!
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - patently
Where is the car going to be left?

The 911 lives in a garage with chocked wheels and handbrake off. No need for it, after all, so I don't take the risk.

If the car was outside then I'd leave it on - too easy to push it away otherwise!
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - spikeyhead {p}
just leave it in gear, with the handbrake off
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - Andrew-T
IMHO, three things make brake discs corrode: hosing under the arches; heavy rain and wind; and splash from passing vehicles. If the discs are dry when you go away and none of the above happens you should be safe.
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - Stuartli
arnold2

Presumably the handbrake works on the rear wheels....

Andrew-T

Every time you drive in the rain the brakes are thoroughly soaked, never mind ..."heavy rain and wind and splash from passing vehicles"...

Millions of people every year leave their cars for a period in the open for various reasons, for instance at airport car parks, and on their return jump in, turn the key and have no problems except perhaps, for one or two careless people, a flat battery.
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - Bromptonaut
Don't know about the car in question, or whether it has discs f/r.

The BX (discs all round) handbrake works on the front and usually comes off with a hell of a bang after being left for three weeks summer hols. IF it worked on the rears I suspect it would lock the wheels altogether and require breakdown attendance. Discs on neighbours Golf looked like wood after he was in NZ for a month.
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - Andrew-T
Stuart - "Every time you drive in the rain the brakes are thoroughly soaked". I was really suggesting ways that a stationary car's brakes could get wet. But about driving in rain - yes, things will get a bit wet but any braking action will squeegee things clear quite nicely.
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - wemyss
Learned not to do this many years ago Arnold when leaving car at Manchester airport for two weeks.
On return they had seized on but fortunately using many revs they flew off.
Since then I just leave it in first gear.
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - Stuartli
I've parked at least 200 different cars in the open at Manchester airport over many years for various lengths of time without incident, no matter what the weather when I arrived or departed.

If it was a major problem it would be far more prevalent.
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - SjB {P}
For the past ten years, I have frequently left a Rover 420, then two Vectra V6s, then a Volvo V70, and occasionally, SWMBO's Pug 306, in airport long term car parks whilst working abroad.

The only time I have ever had the hand brake stick on was with the second Vectra, though this was in the thick of winter, and I drove on wet and heavily salted roads for 80 miles before reaching the airport. I now leave the handbrake off for long term parking during the winter, but use it as normal for the rest of the year.
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - Mapmaker
I don't use the handbrake on my '92 Audi 100. They're notorious for sticking, so I don't use it.
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - pdc {P}
Just leave the engine running, the car in gear, and a brick on the clutch rested so as to just have clutch bite

:-)
for 2 weeks, pdc? :)
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - pdc {P}
yes. just make sure the tank is full before you leave it.
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - madf
depends on whether disks are exposed to rain via alloys.
If yes, they will stick.
If no probably not.

I try whne leaving acr for long time, to do a hard stop before entering park to warm and dry out brakes. Fails if raining tho.

A4 bad -disks , BMW 318 ok - drums.
Rover 800-- battery would die after 2 weeks so would not start anyway:-(
Peugoet 106: never any problems at all.. steel wheels.and drums

madf

Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - Sooty Tailpipes
Has anyone had this with enclosed rear drums (including those incorporated into he discs?)
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - Bromptonaut
Yes; Astra and nothing like 2 weeks. Drove it 10 miles in heavy rain on Sunday. Left in drive 'til Wednesday. Handbrake working on drums siezed on to point that rear wheels locked up. Green Flag guy (the ever reliable Freeways of Weedon) hit it repeatedly with v. big hammer to break rust bond.
Leaving car for 2 weeks - handbrake on ? - Happy Blue!
Be an American - drive an auto and never use the handbrake; just leave it in Park.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
You don't need an auto for this - a gearbox is perfectly adequate. (I wouldn't leave it on a slope like this, but in most of the south east this will be fine.)