Could the real automatic please stand up - scott bell

Ok, I am considering buying a new car, and want an automatic. Love driving automatics since i can relax in traffic and pull away at lights nice and swiftly.

OK, so i come across all sorts of variants, geartronic, activtronic, triptronic, CVT, and DSG.

Which is the real automatic. I have been told the DSG and CVT are the best. Opinions?

The DSG apparently has no "idle creep" that a normal automatic has. That sounds strange. How would you do a hill start, put your foot on the acceleration immediately, or risk rolling back?

basically, all i want is a smooth punchy automatic...is the DSG designed for this?

Could the real automatic please stand up - Malcolm_L
DSG is a clutchless gearbox - not an automatic as such.

DSG does automatically change gears, it just does it using a computer controlled clutch to get the changes right.

What it doesn't do is drink petrol, best bet is to try one.
Could the real automatic please stand up - SteveH42
CVT is the odd-ball here - it stands for Continuously Variable Transmission. Basically, there are no fixed gears, it adjusts the ratio to give the best use of the engine's power. Traditionally belt-driven on conical pulleys but I think more modern systems use a different approach.

All the other systems you quote are basically ways of automating the gear change process - in other words, you simply pull a lever or similar to change gear. Some have the ability to automatically change gear, others are simply to ease the process of changing gear. Some, like MMT on the Yaris even have more gears than a standard box to further improve performance. The common thread is automatic control of the clutch and in most cases of the gear change process. (I have a feeling some early Tiptronic systems still had the H-Pattern shift)
Could the real automatic please stand up - Older_not_wiser
Mototronic (or whatever) is the Audi version of CVT.

It is advertised as being as economic as a manual.
However, 1 or 2 of the learned BR "boys" have cast a doubt over their long-term reliability.

I suggest that the best "true" automatic at this time is the Tiptronic.
Full auto, but with "up/down" gear functions normally via lever and (really useful) buttons on steering wheel.

Could the real automatic please stand up - autouk
I would guess if you want an automatic you should get a proper one, rather than a hybrid. If you like changing gear get a manual.
Could the real automatic please stand up - scott bell

Thanks for all the posts above.

Yes, I would love to get a proper automatic, but that is the point of the thread, what is the proper automatic.

Skoda told me today it was DSG, someone here says it is triptronic.

Most manufaturers only offer these fancy names, and I am confused what is what.
Could the real automatic please stand up - machika
I suggest you get to drive some, then make up your mind. We have a C5 with tiptronic and it is dead easy. We can leave it in full auto (best for use urban driving), or select tiptronic for control of when the car changes gear. This is useful for approaching bends, as in full auto mode, it often changes gear in the middle of the bend, rather than before the bend.
Could the real automatic please stand up - Cardew
I suggest you get to drive some, then make up your
mind. We have a C5 with tiptronic and it is
dead easy. We can leave it in full auto (best
for use urban driving), or select tiptronic for control of when
the car changes gear. This is useful for approaching bends,
as in full auto mode, it often changes gear in the
middle of the bend, rather than before the bend.

You can of course do this with a conventional automatic gearbox.

FWIW I have never felt comfortable with a CVT. The revs rising and the transmission 'catching up' is disconcerting - not driven the new Audi though.

For me the only minus points of an Automatic are the extra(unjustified) cost and the penalty in performance and economy.
Could the real automatic please stand up - Older_not_wiser
DSG is brilliant - but it is not an auto.

It is a (very good) clutchless manual - with auto function added.
Could the real automatic please stand up - SteveH42
I would guess if you want an automatic you should get
a proper one, rather than a hybrid. If you like
changing gear get a manual.

Why? A hybrid can offer the same convenience of automatic gear changes, is usually more fuel efficient and has the benefit that you can still change manually if you want to get the fun aspect of driving back or can leave it to do the hard work for you around town. As others say though, drive one (and not just for 10 minutes around the block - try for an extended test drive) and see how you get on with it.
Could the real automatic please stand up - Aprilia
I like conventional autos, Tiptronic (essentially a modification to a conventional auto) and autos with 'dual gate' shifters (a la recent 5-speed GM 'box).

I'm not a fan of DSG type gearboxes. There was a fad for developing these during the '90's. Fichtel & Saches, Valeo and AP were just a couple of companies that had a go. The AP ACTS was tried on the Twingo, for example. They are OK when new, but don't seem to age well. The actuators cost an 'arm and a leg' (the F&S actuator on a SAAB is something like £600 with trade discount).
CVT's also have a long and inglorious history. The first CVT's were used on a Rudge motorbike in 1908, and the world still awaits a reliable one.

If its someone else's money, or you intend to sell the car as soon as warranty expires, then DSG or CVT is OK. Otherwise stick with conventional autos or Tiptronic until the newer systems have been proven.
Could the real automatic please stand up - Dulwich Estate
IMHO the Audi multitronic (it's a CVT type) is the best around. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and just ordered a new Audi with same box for delivery when mine is 2yrs and 10 months.

There seems to be no lag or rising engine note when accelerating. I presume the computer sorts that out. One snag I've found is that engaging reverse takes a moment longer than you'd like. It seems the internals need a short rest to slow down, stop and then go backwards.

I have my doubts about long term reliability so am changing at 3 years when it's still in warranty. Having said that, I've done internet searches and talked to whoever I can and can't find anyone who's had trouble with the Audi system. It's been used by them for just over 3 years. Nearly 4 I think.

Could the real automatic please stand up - Dulwich Estate
I forgot to add. According to the official fuel consumption figures in the brochure the multitronic is better than the manual for "urban" use by 1 mpg. Otherwise it's the same - can't lose.

Maybe I'm the Multitronic Evangelist.

Could the real automatic please stand up - Happy Blue!
I've just been reading HJ's road test of the Touran with diesel and DSG. He really likes it but says that the car doesn't have the steering wheel controls of the Audi TT.

So, if that's the case is the DSG a semi-automatic (i.e. shift yourself with no clutch pedal) or is it a manual gearbox that automatically shifts for you?

As per usual in our household we are thinkning baout change of cars and this minutes' car of choice is a Touran (auto for SWMBO and diesel for me). Had a look at Corolla Verso, but boot size with rear seats down is appalling.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Could the real automatic please stand up - Nsar
>>pull away at lights nice and swiftly.
So why do you want an auto box? I have one and it is like playing guitar with gloves on (there is a more earthy analogy but I'll steer clear of mod wrath) - if you enjoy being in exactly the right rev range in town traffic an auto box is the exactly the wrong thing to have.