Can't get an a mazda 3. what else to buy - scott bell

Hi,

I read honest johns road test of the mazda 3 and well, thought, that is it, time for a 1.6 TS Mazda 3 Auto.

But, I discover, even though it has been out for ages, there are NO autos in the UK! No automatics is what I have been told.

And now I am told they won't be available until dec 2004 maybe.

So for a car tested in sept 2003, and not available until maybe dec 2004, what is the point of reading road tests?

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for a new car let me know.

Looking for a good automatic, safe, modern car, no limits on cost, more interested in value for money.

scott

Can't get an a mazda 3. what else to buy - NARU
Perhaps an Audi A3? The 2.0 TDI gives excellent acceleration and close to 50mpg with the DSG gearbox. The DSG is actually an electronically controlled manual which is why the MPG is so good.
PS. Should have said - this is one of the cars I looked at but decided not to get, but it left a positive impression.

Yes, the audi A3, but some questions/points

1. it costs 17K+ which is 4K more than the mazda 3. Is it worth that much more.
2. there does not seem to be a saloon version
3. is the DSG a real automatic, can I just leave it to be an automatic?
4. When you get into the 17K bracket and upwards, that is only 2-3K of the 20-21K bracket, and there are some luxury cars there. Is it not better to spend 21K on something more luxury than 17K. It is an economic question of increasing return value for money spent within these prices brackets.
5. There is a new A3 out, but, as per usual, who knows when you'll be able to buy one.
Can't get an a mazda 3. what else to buy - daveyjp
1. Whether its worth it is a decision only you can make.
2. Correct - you'll need an A4 to fill this requirement.
3. The DSG can be left in auto mode - don't know how well it drives like this though.
4. An A3 2.0 TDi with DSG will cost you nearer £20K than £17k
5. You can buy the A3 DSG now - it's been available since launch, unlike the auto Mazda!

assume the A3 triptronic is 19K, which is about right. For 23K you can get a c class merc.

This is why I am so miffed about the mazda, a class car for 13k.
Can't get an a mazda 3. what else to buy - Altea Ego
"Looking for a good automatic, safe, modern car, no limits on cost, more interested in value for money."

Renault Megane 2 expresion 1.6 vvt auto 13,500 list
Can't get an a mazda 3. what else to buy - mlj
If you were thinking Mazda 3 I would seriuosly consider a Toyota Corolla in T-Spirit trim with 1.6 petrol automatic. Comes fully loaded and list is £15395, which is very negotiable I would imagine.
Car has just been facelifted as well. Or you could spend £5000 more for a 3 dr Audi!
exactly, 5K more for a 3 door car, that will cost 600 quid for a service.

i am looking at the mazda 6
Mazda6 TS2 2.0i Petrol Auto 5-dr MRRP £17900 UKCD Price £15670 Saving £2230

still, it just bugs me that i haven't bought a new car for 7 years, and i simply can't find one that is a suitable mid-range car for 14k.

the megane is too small. same for the corrolla.
If you want a cut-price Audi A3, buy the golf! I was working on the 'money no object but looking for VfM' aspect. I've decided to buy a Mondeo, but my second choice was the A3 - I thought it was enough better than the golf to be worth the money. The DSG gearbox very nearly clinched it for me; you can drive it just like an automatic, and I thought it was a bargain at £1400 - all the advantages of an auto without the CO2/fuel consumption/performance penalties.

I guess the real VfM in the family is the new skoda Octavia with DSG. Comes as a saloon too.

yes, i just read HJ's review of the new Octavia. For 15K you get the top of the range model, way better spec'ed than a bottom of the range 3 door audi.

I am certainly interested in buying the audi.

The DSG, apparently this is the "real" automatic, the triptronic is not supposed to be driven like an automatic.

I phoned the skoda helpdesk and this is what they told me.

Of course, i don't know the difference between the two. My current car is 10 years old, so I am out of the loop.

I might start a new thread to ask people's opinions.

As for someone suggesting the C5 and picasso, neither have got good reviews from what I see.
Can't get an a mazda 3. what else to buy - machika
As for someone suggesting the C5 and picasso, neither have got
good reviews from what I see.

This is the usual reaction to any recommendation for Citroens. However, I think you will find that HJ was quite taken with the auto Picasso. The Picasso has been well received since its introduction and is generally rated as one of the best MPVs.

People who own Citroens for any length of time, often find out that they are on to a good thing. There is a current thread initiated by someone who wants to get back to a C5, after having replaced it with a Focus, which he has decided doesn't match up to his experience of the C5. It is a much underrated car.
Can't get an a mazda 3. what else to buy - carl_a
There's two cars that I can think of that give great value for the money, one is a Second hand Mondeo (At 9-12 months these are mega value). The other is a little unusual..........

Hyundai Sonata Auto 2.0 CDX costs £13000 (£14000 for one with leather) new from a dealer (including discount), 5 years warranty, 3 years RAC. They are very reliable(talking top Toyota type standards on this model), look quite good and thousands less than any other brand for the size of car. Ok the trade in value is poor but if you keep it 7 years cars arn't worth much anyway.
Thousands less than any other brand of car? As is usual, the PSA alternatives have not been mentioned. A C5 2.0 HDI LX automatic is available for just over £12000. The 2.0 16v VTR auto is also available for under £13000.
I forgot to mention the Picasso 2.0i 16v auto, which is available for a little over £12000. I believe HJ was impressed with this, when he tested it not too long ago.