Self cancelling indicators - Singer-G
I hate self cancelling indicators! I bemoaned the day when Citroen gave in and fitted them. On my old CX you turned on the indicator when you wanted it, and turned it off when you had finished with it. Easy. On every car I've had since, you turn it on, get half way round a roundabout and realise that its cancelled itself, turn it on again, and again and again. Then, when you have finished with it you have to check that it has cancelled itself.

Is there any way to disable self cancelling on a modern car? I used to snap off two plastic lugs on my old bangers, (Cortina, Viva) I suspect its not that simple any more.
Self cancelling indicators - Altea Ego
So you think thats bad? Not driven the new Vectra then?
Self cancelling indicators - Dynamic Dave
Is there any way to disable self cancelling on a modern car?

If you do, I think you'll find it's an MOT failure.

Self cancelling indicators - RichardW
>If you do, I think you'll find it's an MOT failure.

Doubt it. You could get a failure for:

"A missing, insecure or faulty selector switch."

But there is no mention of self cancelling, nor is there any realistic way of testing them during the MOT (and I have never seen it tested).

I too preferred non cancelling indicators, but that's 'progress'.

Most could probably be removed by taking the lug off the back of the wheel - up to the advent of multiplex wiring.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Self cancelling indicators - Peter D
Yes you can remove the toggle bar that does the cancellation. On VW's for instance there is a small cover on the assembly that you flick open with a jewels screw driver and remove the T shaped white nylon gizmo and thats it No auto cancel. not sure about you make but careful removal of the indicator assembly may show you how. The only real time the cancellation is a nuisance is when people indicate left but just before the corner pull out to the right to lesson the bend thus canclling the indicator. The other reason is by going in to deep or fast and requiring opposie lock to to regain traction and avoid the accident. But yeh I know what you mean but my cars do not seem to cancel incorrectly too often. Regards Peter
Self cancelling indicators - Imagos
Drive the latest Fiat Punto then, they don't seem to want to turn off.

I don't understand your reasons though, i've never had a problem with indicators on any car (except latest Vectra). If you did adjust the mechanism in your car there might be the odd occasion ie in bright sunlight where you couldn't see warning light or radio on and you couldn't hear the tick tick when you'd leave indicator on. Potentially disasterous for a unsuspecting motorist or biker who thought you were turning into that side street when you wern't....
Self cancelling indicators - cockle {P}
>> Is there any way to disable self cancelling on a
modern car?
If you do, I think you'll find it's an MOT failure.

>>

Don't think it's an MOT failure. The lugs broke on my Fiesta about five years ago and being a tight old so and so and not wishing to add to Mr Ford's profit margins I just haven't bothered to replace the stalk assembly. Car has sailed through every MOT since and the guy who does my MOT's is pretty clued up so I would suggest not a failable item.

Cockle
Self cancelling indicators - Humpy
Get over it - I've driven the new Vectra now for 5000 miles. So I had to adjust at the beginning but big deal now I have no problem. I suppose you can't treat old dogs new tricks...

....runs for cover. :)
Self cancelling indicators - Dynamic Dave
Get over it - I've driven the new Vectra now for
5000 miles. So I had to adjust at the beginning
but big deal now I have no problem.

I agree. Had my new Vectra for nearly 3 weeks now (and have previously driven a couple of Vectra hire cars as well) and have taken to the indicators like a duck to water.

What I do find strange though is adapting back to a car that has *traditional* indicators. I find myself just tapping the stalk to get the indicators to flash 3 times and then self cancel when lane changing or exiting a roundabout, to find the indicators only flash very briefly. Somehow it doesn't feel right that the stalk doesn't self centralise after you've pressed it.

Self cancelling indicators - Clanger
I agree, it's annoying to fight the self-cancelling especially when you move from cars without to cars with. On the XM and BX you could remove the steering wheel and dispense with the little arm that cancelled the indicators. On the Synergie, I don't know how to remove the wheel without the risk of the air bag going off. Might be amusing for a spectator, but not for me.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Self cancelling indicators - Peter D
Correction, You can stop the auto cancel on a VW but not the way I suggested the White nylon "T" unit is the Dip/Main Toggle, hovever a more complicated procedure but you have to dismantle the the indicator assembly and remove a small plate latch plate and two springs. But I still do not know why you would want to do this. Regards Peter
Self cancelling indicators - Cliff Pope
Cars I have known from the 40s and 50s with self-cancelling indicators had to be turned 180 degrees before they would cancel on the return. This meant they only cancelled after doing a proper turn.
Modern ones seem to be set to cancel if the wheel wavers as little as 5 degrees off the straight position. B irritating.
The other irritating thing is that if you try and reset the indicator while it is trying to self - cancel, you get a noise like cracking plastic.
Self cancelling indicators - 3500S
Half a wheel turn to cancel mine on my '68 P6 plus a nice loud click-clonk to let you know you are indicating.

About 45 degrees wheel turn on my 75 with a quiet click-clonk drowned out by the radio on nowhere near loud.

Sometimes, the oldies are the best.
Self cancelling indicators - Altea Ego
.000001 of a turn on the laguna, and a warning bleep so soft that the white noise of a super nova 6 billion light years away drowns it out. (and the warning beep does not sound while the "look here cherie you have not done your seat belt up" big ben chimes are working)

grrrrrrrrrr
Self cancelling indicators - GrumpyOldGit
Completely agree Singer-G. I loved the old Citroen on/off switch. (That GS Club was a great car....)

I believe I'm capable of deciding which controls should be in what position and dislike many of these 'driver's aids', like lights that come on automatically, auto-dipping interior mirrors, rain activated wipers. Don't get me wrong - I love modern cars, but I really don't need them to drive for me thanks.
Self cancelling indicators - Dipstick
"a warning bleep so soft that the white noise of a super nova 6 billion light years away drowns it out."

That is an excellent line and I laughed. A lot.
Self cancelling indicators - none
The new fangled Vauxhall indicator switch isn't far removed from the old mechanical wind up switch fitted on some of the older buses I've worked on. The further you operated the switch, the longer the indicators stayed on. (like a kitchen timer). Nice loud click and a bright warning light as well. Vauxhall are half way there.