Volvo 240 Pitfalls and Benefits - whizzkidd-2004
I've been informed by my Mum as she was driving round for work about an E reg Volvo 240 estate with an LPG conversion near to her clinic.

She said that it says on the advert in the window "100% reliable runner, ideal for towing" as it has I presume the Volvo factory fitted towpack.

She said for it's year it looked reasonably smart and so I was wondering what fellow BR's thought - if we test drove it and it ran well and everything worked would it be worth paying the asking price for it or is it worth not even considering it and walking away (bear in mind we haven't even contacted the seller as we're just thinking).

My head tells me "gas conversion - may be a good job done properly or it may have been done by a "back street" garage on the cheap and so will make the car run like a pig" but on the other hand, as we'll have to sell our current car and get smething a bit more economical for Mum to be driving round for work in and it costs about £1,000 to get a conversion done, then suddenly looking at these sort of prices, we're getting a car with an LPG conversion already done for less than the price that it would cost to convert one.

A friend of ours has a Toyota Camry 3.0GX V6 (1993 K) and he's had that converted to run on LPG but has had it done properly by AutoGas North West and that runs like a treat on the gas and it's certainly paid for itself - his other vehicle that he's had done is a 1987 Toyota SpaceCruiser and although that's had the same treatment at AutoGas North West that's a carburettor whereas the Camry is Fuel Injected but on both those vehicles a good job has been done.

Thanks

Keith
Volvo 240 Pitfalls and Benefits - dodo
I have an old (1988) 240 2.3 DL estate. 217000 miles and it wont die. Only rust is on the lower edge of the tail gate and it looks and drives without a squeak or a rattle. I wouldn't recommend it as a towcar though. Wrong gearing and too much overhang over the rear wheels. I'm not convinced that an 80s Volvo 240 is okay for gas conversion - I thought I read somewhere that they were unusuitable. Mine cost £150 three years ago! Still worth it now!
Volvo 240 Pitfalls and Benefits - defender
have been told that the carb versions are better to convert than injection models, mileage doesnt matter much they go on for ever.my old 740 cost nothing in repairs even at over 250000 miles,mot only cost the test.a 240 of this age should be costing under £400 even with conversion (only my opinion )there are so many very cheap old volvos about its not economical to do major repairs simply buy another one.