You really do get what you pay for.... - Stuartli
Had a birthday a few days ago - something that, in my case, comes round at least once a year.

One of the presents was a selection of Autoglym car care products, a range that has tended to be somewhat out of my price range and therefore meant remaining "loyal" to Holts, CarPlan, Turtle Wax and similar brands.

Some buys have even been discontinued products picked up at car boot sales or discount outlets.

It didn't take long to try out some of the Autoglym offerings, in particular the body shampoo and conditioner (that raised a few laughs from family and friends), super resin polish and window cleaner.

What a revelation! The car wash solution left the bodywork completely shiny and free of dirt, the polish only had to be put on all over the car and then gently buffed off and the window cleaner, which comes in a paste form, left the glass all round stunningly clean.

I see now why the brand's products are so expensive - worth every penny and, what's more, you don't seem to need to use too much to get the most out of them, so that means economical as well it would seem.

Anyone else use these products? I know I won't mind paying the (considerable) extra in future as they make car care so much easier.

You really do get what you pay for.... - PhilW
I find the Extra Gloss Protection excellent also - and it is very easy to put on and polish up
You really do get what you pay for.... - BobbyG
Yep, only ever use Autoglym products.
You really do get what you pay for.... - Mad Maxy
I tried Autoglym (polish, I think) years ago and was disappointed that the 'water forms in globules when it rains' effect didn't last beyond one wash.

Does Autoglym stuff do this now? What product is it?

I use their glass cleaner (v good) and metal polish.
You really do get what you pay for.... - PhilW
The Extra Gloss certainly beads the droplets for many washes - I use it every few months and usually wash weekly in winter
You really do get what you pay for.... - BazzaBear {P}
I tried Autoglym (polish, I think) years ago and was disappointed
that the 'water forms in globules when it rains' effect didn't
last beyond one wash.

I'm ashamed to admit it is at least 6 months since I last polished my car - using Autoglym - and water still beads on it now.
You really do get what you pay for.... - volvoman
I was under the impression that 'beading' was not necessarily a good idea since mineral deposits are left behind on the paintwork when the water evaporates. I've seen a number of polishes (can't remember the names though) which claim to make any water 'sheet' off the paintwork rather than collect in beads and these claim to elmininate the problem. We live in a hard water area and I've noticed when I wash my car any areas not properly dried off show calcium deposits encrusted on the paintwork. Incidentally, I now also use a silicon flexiblade to clear most of the water off - it works very well on large areas of paint/glass but can also be a bit fiddly.
You really do get what you pay for.... - John R @ Work {P}
Volvoman,

For the life of me, I can't remember the site address but I have seen an advert for a water filter that fits into a hose spray attachment to the water used for rinsing is "soft". If I find it I'll post it though I think it was USA only...

Luckily, I live in the North West and have soft water by default...

John R
You really do get what you pay for.... - PandaFan
Now, have you tried Meguiar's products? They're really good! Have a look at www.meguiars.co.uk
I have nothing to do with the company; I just discovered their products recently - wouldn't use anything else on my new Panda!
You really do get what you pay for.... - tr7v8
Yep, a mate has a TVR and most of the TVR OC do a lot of polishing and most of them have been raving about Meguiars products, to the point where I will try it once my substantial stock of Autoglym runs out. The only thing is Meguiars do a bewidering range of products.
Must admit very impressed with Autoglym glass cleaner as well.

Jim
You really do get what you pay for.... - SjB {P}
Yup. Gotta be Autoglym. Others recommend products including perenial favourites like Meguires and Mer, but with the exception of Halfords Advanced Shampoo - which is superb - I don't find them a patch on Autoglym. The best, without question, in my book.

For my birthday this year, I was given a box of Autoglym products by some friends, including a synthetic chamois leather. Jeez is it good! If water was magnetic, then this baby would be the magnet! Leaves all other chamois 'leathers' I've tried, both real and sythentic, for dead.

On a slight tangent, I also use a Turtlewax plastic water blade to clear the roof and bonnet of water after washing. This is a great product, too, as it doesn't scratch (of course implying you must have cleaned the car properly to start with!), is very fast to use, and doesn't leave a single visible spot of water behind. In fact, it is so fast to use that I can even break the cardinal rule of not washing a dark coloured car on a hot and sunny day, if I have to.
You really do get what you pay for.... - joe
I am a big Autoglym fan, and use both the SRP and extra gloss protection on both my cars. My 8 year old Nissan has a fairly poor paintjob (metalic cherry red) and scratches quite easily. I am thinking of using some colour magic on it, as this worked very well in removing faint scratches on a previous car. The autoglym does not do this.

Both cars are regularly parked under trees and get more than their fair share of birds poo deposits. I try and clean them both at least once a fortnight, and the autoglym is a
I am sure responsible for the fact that neither cars have been marked at all.
You really do get what you pay for.... - just a bloke
The only thing is Meguiars do a bewidering range of products.

There's a link on their site that does a "prescription" for your car.
You answer some questions and they recomemmend from their range.

JaB
You really do get what you pay for.... - THe Growler
Our cars are parked in blistering temperatures up to 40 C for many hours, then get subjected to tropical downpours. I have used Turtle Wax Color Magic for years and found it excellent, backed up with carwash every week or so. Water beads, paint has never faded. Works fine for me. The Chipsticks are great for hiding those little nicks and scratches too.
You really do get what you pay for.... - Stuartli
I've also been using the Turtle Wax Colour Magic (silver) for some time - last two cars have been thiks colour - but my version was the original American formula and cost me 99p at a discount store...:-)

Very effective, as you point out, but not as easy to apply or buff up as the Autoglym although it did leave a good finish.