I have a question Volume 46 - Dynamic Dave

******* Thread now closed, please see volume 47 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23147

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC\'s. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 46. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

Flymo Micro Compact 300 plus - BobbyG
FIL has asked me to try and fix his lawnmower. Any previous Flymos I have worked on, when you unscrew the blades underneath and take the bolt out then the large plastic thingy with the fins on it comes out as well. This usually exposes the screws that holds the motor and spindles in place.

However, having removed the bolt on the above model, the plastic thingy is still in place and will not budge. It looks like the thread that the bolt goes into has a lip at the end to hold this in place.

Has anyone any experience of this model? How do I remove this as I need to do it to gain access to the screws?
Flymo Micro Compact 300 plus - Altea Ego
Well according to the spare parts list -

www.shop.flymo.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=...s

the impellor (thats the large plastic thingy with fins) is a consumer obtainable item, so it must come out.

Flymo Micro Compact 300 plus - frostbite
Not a sneaky little grub screw, or three, in the shaft of the thingy?
Frostbite, not that I can see. As I said, every other Flymo I have fixed by removing the main bolt, the blade falls out and the impellor slips off. Not this one. It MUST come off, the only way to access the screws for the motor and bits is from the underside. I just can't get it off!

Have tried brute force and even a claw hammer to lever it but still nothing. Something must be holding it in place!
Flymo Micro Compact 300 plus - L'escargot
Have you tried levering simultaneously at two points diametrically opposite? Levering at one point may just make the impeller lock up onto the shaft. Failing that, Flymo have a consumer helpline ~ 01325 300303. Another suggestion is ~ does Flymo have any service agents that might be able to help?
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Flymo Micro Compact 300 plus - L'escargot
I think www.flymo.co.uk will give a list of service agents. Advice ought to be free, IMHO.
--
Cheers for both of those, I will start by giving them a call tomorrow. I have tried to lever it off etc but to no avail.
Thanks again.
Phoned my local repairer who advise that the Impellor should just slide off.
So I think its the brute force idea now!!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Just a wee update for anyone still interested.

Got impellor off with sheer brute force and a helping of WD40. Discovered the motor was totally seized. Again, with liberal amounts of WD40 and a couple of hours spent manipulating the cog back and forth it is now working again!

All I need now is for the rain to stop so that I can try it out on the lawn!
Septic tanks - L'escargot
My bungalow is served by a Klargester septic tank, which is covered by a diamond (as in playing cards, not precious stones!) shaped cast iron cover.

Is it necessary for this to be removed for the sludge to be pumped out?

The previous owners claimed that the tank was emptied just before I moved in (and in fact produced an invoice to that effect), but there was no sign that the cover had recently (or ever) been removed. There is an inpection pit adjacent to the tank (in the outlet pipework), but I can't imagine that the sludge can be removed via that. The water in the tank overflows into this inspection pit and then disperses via land drainage pipes.

Anyone familiar with septic tank systems?
--
Septic tanks - Mapmaker
Septic tank I had was a big polythene golfball set into ground with a large square inspection hatch over the top. This has to be removed in order to empty it.

Unless you produce prodigious quantities of waste, it is not necessarily the case that you ever need it to be emptied. Theoretically they should break down the waste of their own accord, but some modern tanks aren't big enough to, so do require emptying.

Septic tanks - drbe
Is it actually a "septic tank"? If it is it should be self cleansing (within limits) and maintenance free (within limits)

Is it still working happily? If so, perhaps leave well alone. Why not give Klargester a ring/web site visit? My experience was that if they were working ok, with the clean water going out through the outfall, it took some years before the indissoluble solids accummulating in the bottom threatened to block any connecting pipework.

Are you sure that the surface water (rainwater) is not connected into the foul system? Because if it is, that will cause it too overflow quicker than anything!
Septic tanks - drbe
I can now die a happy man!

We are discussing sewage on Honest John!
Septic tanks - nick
Go easy on the bleach and other noxious substances and it's highly unlikely you'll have to empty your septic tank for many years. Nearly all problems are caused by people flushing away inappropriate substances.
Septic tanks - defender
an easy way to encourage all the good bugs in a septic tank after its been emptied is to throw in a couple of dead rabbits picked up at the side of the road ,even better if they have been there for a couple of days.
Septic tanks - Vin {P}
A mate of mine heard that a dead sheep was a good starter, though he eventually settled on a bucketful of the contents of his neighbour's mature tank.

His description of getting the bucket filled spoilt an otherwise perfectly acceptable pub lunch.

V
Septic tanks - Mapmaker
Dead rats are ideal for this. Be careful with a sheep, though, as their intestines swell up with gas & they float to the top of the septic tank. I once put a dead something larger than a rat in it and it grew & grew & sat there floating, looking at me balefully, for weeks & weeks!

Red Ants - Mark (RLBS)
The last time my garden was properly tended was around 200 years ago (and Imean that quite literally).

For the most part it is getting sorted out except for the red ants. There are millions of them. Anywhere in the garden you will find them. There are large mounds which are essentially ant hills. Any piece of rock moved will reveal a nest.

Now I'm guessing that to a large extent a lot of them will be from a single, albeit huge, network of tunnels.

What can I do ?

Bear in mind that I have a young child and two ridiculously stupid dogs, so I have to be careful.
Red Ants - Civic8
This may sound daft.But it worked for me.next door had black ants.where I had red.advice given was mix black with reds it seems blacks are real nasty and take over the reds nests.although reds bite so do blacks but blacks are more placid ie dont bite us like reds do.dont ask why but that is what I was told.and did find along an open gully reds were piling up daily to be washed away by rain.soon came under control.garden is now full of blacks that I kill using ant powder.
Red Ants - Altea Ego
Mark, re your red ants,,, You will find each red ant nest is seperate, with seperate queens. They started out as one nest 199 years ago, and each year some queens fly, mate and make new nests - probably now 198 nests!

So you need to locate each nest and deal with each seperately. Take a small clay flowerpot. Bury each near the nests with the small drain hole uppermost, leaving an inch of the pot above ground. Take some suger cubes, dope them with ant bait killer (like nippon drops) and drop them into the pots through the drain hole. The ants will find them but the dogs should not.

Also mech1 is right, black ants and red ants fight to the death. Break open red ant nests, and dig out black ant nests and drop them in the red........tyson and Ali? you aint seen anything...........
Grass seed - Mark (RLBS)

As you can tell, the garden is giving my wife grief who is therefore ruining my entire existence !

A small area of the garden has been seeded. Unfortunately a truly enourmous amount of weeds are now growing up to 2ft high amongst the poor sad grass currently achieving around 1/2 inch.

Too may weeds to weed. Apparantly there is a weed-killer called "Broadleaf Weedkiller" which would do the job admirably if the grass was mature but will kill the grass as well in its young state.

Assuming that I have no desire to start all over, any bright ideas ? Its a fairly small area of the garden, about 75 sqm I guess, so keeping it fenced off is not a problem.
Grass seed & red ants! - Ian (Cape Town)
Broadleaf is nasty stuff.
I can get you some, but it\'s not nice.
Better off hacking the whole lot down with a mower, scarifying the top 6 inches, and then steaming it to kill all the seeds and nasties. Then strew grass seed.
Yes, expensive, but better than the ongoing problem.
Ants? you can buy an ant-bait which they love, carry back to the ant\'s nest, and then that kills them in situ. I also believe it sterilises the queen.
If you want to be a complete thug ... humbrol fluoro paint, dab an ant, watch the little git walk \'home\', then dig up & pour 200 litres of boiling water on the nest...
Grass seed & red ants! - Mark (RLBS)
>>scarifying the top 6 inches, and then steaming it

Again with feeling, but this time in english ??
Grass seed & red ants! - Ian (Cape Town)
RAKE IT DOWN Roight DEEP, (ooo arr!) and then use one of those wallpaper peeler thingies to steam it!
Grass seed - defender
mark I would suggest you simply use a strimmer to cut the weeds down fairly bare to let the grass grow ,mowing the grass will make the plants tiller and spread smothering out weeds .if you see the need you can spray weeds when the grass is stronger
Grass seed - Mark (RLBS)
Right now defender\'s approach is sounding better (less hard work).

Ian - are you serious about the steaming thing ? 75sqm may not be much but that could still take a long time !

And when you\'re talking about Broadleaf - how bad is bad ? And is there a less bad alternative ?
Grass seed - Ian (Cape Town)
Not as bad as it sounds, Mark. 44 gal drum, gas heater, fill your watering cans with 75 C+ water, and flood the area. I can't reccomend a broadleaf killer for Uk - we can still use some nasties here, speak to your local garden centre about non Paraquat-type alternates!
I always found the dousing worked well - killed the xisting grass, but that was easily composted in, and then start from scratch.
Grass seed - No Do$h
Mark, I'll have a chat with 'er outdoors over the weekend about both your lawn and your ant problems. It's open weekend at the horticultural college so I should be able to get the inside line on appropriate products, many of which are not available to the general public but can be obtained if you have the appropriate spraying licence. Mrs ND missed the final part of the spraying course as it clashed with getting her chainsaw licence, but several friends have appropriate certification.

IIRC, 'er outdoors will be getting her spraying licence over the summer.
Grass seed - Mark (RLBS)
Aside from any comments about allowing your wife to get a chainsaw licence, if there is anything available which she can get or you see at the show, could you just get me some and we can settle up later ?

I have the grass weeds/problem over about 75sqm and the ant problem sporadically over about 3/4 acre if that helps.

Cheers.
Grass seed - No Do$h
I'll see what I can do. I'm up at the college this evening to help put the finishing touches to 'er show garden and will be having a beer with a couple of the lecturers afterwards, so should be able to find out what products will be effective for your problems and find out where to source them.

I'll either email you or give you a ring at some point over the weekend.
Grass seed - Mapmaker
You must expect lots of weeds to appear when you sow grass seed. As a part of the preparation you will have dug down & raked it over. Weed seeds that are buried deep below the surface & have therefore been dormant for many years will be awakened by the light and so will grow... along with your expensive lawn seed.

What you ought to do: weed it. Get a scaffolding plank, and place it gently on the lawn, so as to avoid stepping on young lawn. Then sit there with your wife & a large gin & pull weeds.

Easy first try: Mow it. Most broad-leaved plants hate being mown. (Some exceptions - Plantain, loves it as it grows flat anyway; Dandelions adapt nicely to being regularly mown & produce their flowers on tiny stems.) Mow it. Mow it weekly and the weeds will mostly lose the battle.

As you rightly point out, a broad-leaved weedkiller will kill your grass as well in the first year after planting. Grazon 90 is excellent stuff for klling thistles & docks & nettles in mature grassland - but it comes in rather industrial quantities.

After you've mown your lawn weekly for a few weeks, most of the weeds will with luck have suffered. Some stubborn dandelions will remain. Go to the garden centre & buy a 'paint on' type of weedkiller for spot treatment. That will just affect the dandelions or whatever you paint it on.

Fertilise the lawn in the autumn.

Next spring, use a combined fertiliser & weedkiller, and you should be half way to having a decent lawn. By the year after next, it will be decent. You may need to put down extra lawn seed in patches that look a bit thin.

Patience is a virtue. Be reminded of the American tourist who on seeing the beautiful lawns of a Cambridge college offered the head gardener 1000 USD if he would tell him his secret. He then upped it to 10000 USD. The head gardener said, 'Well I'll tell you for free. Mow it & roll it twice a week. For 400 years.'

I promise it works. I once 'inherited' a small field that was waist high in nettles & docks & thistles. 3 years later it is now nice grass; this is mostly down to regular mowing & an initial application of Grazon.
Grass seed - Baskerville
Just to add to Mapmaker's post, most of the seeds disturbed and thereby awakened by the lawn preparation will be annuals such as poppy, scentless mayweed, field marigold, corncockle and the like. Poppy seeds in particular have been known to lie dormant for well over a century. They will only regrow next year if the soil is disturbed and this year's seeds are awakened, but if you mow them down they won't even get to set seed. Some of what you have will no doubt be perennials that weren't removed in the preparation process. Those are tougher but will be fewer in number I'll bet and will be easy to spot when the lawn is established.

Too late now, but if I was putting down a new lawn I'd use turf.

Ironically about five years ago I deliberately planted wild flowers over a large part of my lawn. It looks fantastic just at the moment--a sea of flowers--and requires far less maintenance (two cuts a year and that's it) than the lawned part of the garden, plus you still get to use the "wild" area as (rough) lawn in the late part of the summer--does it good in fact to walk in the new seeds.
Grass seed - Mapmaker
top idea ChrisR, but wild flowers does NOT = what Mark has in his lawn, I'll bet! Thistles, docks & nettles...
Grass seed - Mark (RLBS)
>>Too late now, but if I was putting down a new lawn I'd use turf.

And I'm thinking I may have to do that. Which is annoying
Thistles, docks & nettles

oh yes. And more.
Grass seed - Mapmaker
No you don't need to. Mow it, water it, & be patient. If you're hoping for a soft grassy surface this summer for lying there looking at the swallows, you will be disappointed, but just wait until next year.
Grass seed - No Do$h
Mapmaker has again demonstrated his exemplary green-fingered credentials. Much mowing (mower set high) will weaken the weeds whilst allowing the grass to strengthen. Gradully reduce the height, but not to the "finished" level you desire for this season.

The ants are another matter. Will get back to you on that one.

Can you advise what sort of soil you have? Clay? Sand? Loam? Acidic?
Grass seed - Mark (RLBS)
>>Can you advise what sort of soil you have? Clay? Sand? Loam? Acidic?

Brown with weeds and ants.
Grass seed - Mapmaker
Is it sticky when it gets wet & baked hard at the moment? - clay

Sandy (like being on the beach - easy to work, doesn't pile up)
Loam - soft & nice & full of well-rotted compost.

Acidic - does it go well in your G&T? (struggling to think of an easy way to test this...)
Grass seed - No Do$h
Acidic - look at the plants in the garden. Loads of happy rhodedendrons and azaleas? Then it's acidic. Ditto natures litmus paper, the Hydrangea. Blue = acidic, pink = lime/neutral.
Grass seed - Mapmaker
I did think of them, but concluded that after 200 years it might be a bit short on healthy rhodedendrons, azaleas & hydrangeas.

Grass seed - Mark (RLBS)
I can't see the colour of the soil because its covered in weeds !!

Hydrangea (are you sure its spelled like that) are mostly pink with some blue bits.

Most of garden is quite dark earth, it been either overgrown or vegetables for a very long time. Stuff grows very well and very quickly - especially weeds.

Some of it quite colourless & solid from having been under the concrete floor of a barn for many years. Solid to the point that in some areas despite having rotovated it about 6 weeks ago, it is now quite impossible to get a fork into it.
Grass seed - Baskerville
Sounds like baked London clay to me--there hasn't been much rain recently, has there? Were animals kept in the barn and on the surrounding paddock? If so that soil will be very very fertile indeed, for obvious reasons, so that might explain the profusion of broad-leaved perennials. Looks like feeding your lawn won't be a problem, though draining and aerating it will.
Grass seed - Mark (RLBS)
Around the barn the ground is certainly very fertile. Under the barn it most certainly is not.

Grass seed - Baskerville
>Under the barn it most certainly is not.

And is that the only place where the ground is rock hard, or is that the general condition of the rest as well? Clay soil that hasn't been broken up for a while cracks like a badly-fired pot in hot weather. Of course an area that was for a couple of centuries vegetable garden may well have a much lower clay content, and much higher fertility, than the natural earth.
Grass seed - Mark (RLBS)
The ground under the barn is awful. Everywhere else it looks pretty good to me. Certainly there is a massive difference between the earth from under the barn and the earth which has been a vegetable garden.

To summarise;

area from underneath barn- Solid, horrible, and light coloured. Gradually getting planted with loads of fertiliser stuff in each digging.

area which was vegetable garden - dark, soft, not clay and stuff grows. Half now grass seed & old vegetable plants, other half still vegetable garden.

area which was ignored and over grown - seemingly good earth, now covered in grass seed and weeds (big weeds, ape-men seen swinging from one weed to the next, herds of wildebeest lost for many years in amongst them, Elvis sighted and mast tip of Marie Celeste can be seen.)

grass area - quite mossy and weedy, but good strong grass, covered in red ants and red ant nests.

Grass seed - Baskerville
You paint a delightful picture. All you need is Angelina Jolie and a Land Rover and you'll be sorted.

So it doesn't sound like you have clay soil then. The under barn stuff will take ages to improve unless you import topsoil, but that's probably overkill and digging in organic matter will eventually fix it. It sounds like a bit of digging will bring the vegetable patch back. If it's been fairly recently in use it probably looks worse than it is. Sweat required.

As for the lawn area, do as Mapmaker says. Just cut down the weeds, hope Sting doesn't emerge with an aboriginal chief and a conservation project, and keep mowing it until the grass begins to win. Remaining big weeds will be obvious and can be pulled out by hand quite easily.

Gardens are best done a bit at a time. I do five minutes or so after work most days, but then I work at the bottom of the garden so it's on my way home.

Grass seed - Mark (RLBS)
>>All you need is Angelina Jolie and a Land Rover and you'll be sorted.

What would I want the Landrover for ?
Grass seed - Baskerville
What would I want the Landrover for ?

To keep chickens in?
Grass seed - Mapmaker
Certain! You doubt the Green-fingered team of ND & Mapmaker!??
Grass seed - Baskerville
top idea ChrisR, but wild flowers does NOT = what Mark
has in his lawn, I'll bet! Thistles, docks & nettles...

I bet they are in there, just outnumbered. I agree that mowing, and mowing, and mowing will sort it. Mark, once you've mowed it down, can you borrow a couple of sheep? Should keep the dogs fit anyway, though they might be upset by the intellectual level.
Grass seed - No Do$h
Right, the definitive answer according to the lecturer in lawncare at Mrs ND's Horticultural College:

"If you want a decent lawn from seed, don't sow it in the spring."

Still, a little late for that, so how to make good your existing lawn? As previously suggested, mow at the top setting on your mower, ideally twice a week. After 3 weeks, drop it a notch and continue your bi-weekly mowing. The minute we have any significant rainfall*, dash out and buy a topical weedkiller, to be applied by paintbrush or similar. Apply to dandelions and other low-growing weeds. Continue the mowing.

In late September/early October apply an autumn feed. In spring apply a weed & feed. Come next May you'll have a lovely lawn.

One point with the mowing; vary the direction each time you get mowing, otherwise you will weaken the grass as it will repeatedly get bent/cut in the same direction.

As for the ants, their firm recommendation was to get on to a pest control company. The sort of chemicals you will need to eridicate ants on that scale are not to be taken lightly. Rentokil it is, old chap.

Alan

(*Weedkillers of all types work best when the plant is actively growing. The more vigorous the growth, the more effective the weedkiller)

Under Insurance - Mark (RLBS)

This time not a problem or question of my own, but really the result of a conversation I had recently. I thought the following was obvious and known to all, but it appears not.

Given that it affects us all, whether we are aware of it or not, I thought it worth mentioning here.

Let us assume that the value of your house contents is £50,000.

Let us assume that your total insured value is £25,000.

Let us assume that you have a loss to the tune of £10,000.

Did you realise that you would only be paid out £5,000 in this event ?

Under insurance is where the total amount of your insurance is substantially less than the value of the stuff subject to that insurance.

e.g. for house contents insurance, all of the contents must be covered by the insurance unless they are specifically and explicitally excluded.

In the example above the value was £50k but the insurance as for £25k. This means that there is 50% under-insurance and therefore all claims for general contents would be reduced by 50%

It is a false economy to under insure.

Th only reliable way to do it correctly is to conduct an inventory. Most HC insurers will have template inventories you can use. Do it electronically so that you can keep it updated without doing it all again each year.

Last, remember that for replacement insurance (depreciation taken into account) the value of your contents and therefore the sum insured will decrease. However for "new for old" or whatever its called, which is by far an away the norm these days, your sum insured should increase to reflect rising prices even though your contents may well be decreasing in value.

Fianlly, your life will be so much easier if you do keep serial numbers and model numbers for everything.

BTW, on a similar subject - the insured amount for buildings cover should be the rebuilding cost PLUS an estimate for site clearance and preparation - which can be substantial. Don't use rebuilding cost alone without thinking about that. With some rates clearance is included, but do make sure you know you are insured to the correct value.
Under Insurance - Altea Ego
And I should add, the value and therefore cost of replacing everything in your house will shock you.....

Take cd's for example, not unusual to have a hundred of these - Over a thousand pounds. Ever counted up the cost of replacing your entire wardrobe? including shoes? Geez what about the cost of the wifes wardrobe?
Under Insurance - SpamCan61 {P}
>>Ever counted up the cost of replacing your entire wardrobe?

about 50 quid I should think....leaves more money to spend on the train set :-))).

Spam ' man at Aldi' Can
Under Insurance - Altea Ego
>>Ever counted up the cost of replacing your entire wardrobe?
about 50 quid I should think....leaves more money to spend on
the train set :-))).
Spam ' man at Aldi' Can

Pah - No class....

Papa (man at matalan) RF
Under Insurance - Robin
Does this mean then that if one is over insured that the insurance company will overpay on the same pro-rata basis as they do for underpayment. Thought not. What justification do they use for this underpayment?

Some years ago I worked abroad for a while. My company paid for all my household goods to be exported with me. For the insurance I had to compile an inventory. I was absolutely shocked at the total value of my modest home. It sure does add up when you consider a couple of hundred books, CDs, tools, clothes etc etc. What has surpised me though is that many insurance companies have a 'baseline' figure for contents insurance of £25,000. ie they assume that this will be the value of your stuff unless you tell them different. In 1999 my value was £40,000 and this was before we had a child! We don't have expensive jewelery or suchlike, just the average sort of stuff. On my return many insurers expressed surprise when I told them the value I wanted to insure. SO, to echo Mark it is well worth calculating the valueof what you own.
Under Insurance - Mapmaker
& virtually impossible to insure more than they suggest. I had to move my insurance away from Northern Rock's chosen company as they couldn't cover more than the standard. Thought this was totally bizarre - particularly when the chap on the other end of the telephone said 'are you sure you've got that much stuff'.

Deed of variation on Will - Hugo {P}
We are entering into a deed of variation (using a solicitor) to change my late mother's will very slightly to take advantage of the spouse's IHT exemption. My parents were never actually divorced. All the main beneficiaries are in agreement here.

We have been asked whether or not we want to convert some of our bequests to be left to our children. However, I don't know what tax advantages there are.

We would normally invest our share ourselves, as I know that another elderly relative, who has no children, will leave her estate to my children and those of my sisters.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hugo
Deed of variation on Will - Mapmaker
Hugo

Deeds of variation are brilliant, and very few wills don't have some opportunity to use one. Very sensible.

I obviously cannot give you advice as I wouldn't have all the facts at my disposal. However I can give you some guidance, and so that I can save writing all sorts of potential answers that don't fit your fact pattern, please would you confirm:

1. Father is still alive
2. Mother has left estate in excess of £263k
3. Father is (relatively) poor - i.e. his assets are anticipated to be less than £263k when he dies.

Then please tell me has either:

1. Mother left all her estate to you & your sisters; or
2. Mother left all her estate to her husband.

Deed of variation on Will - Cardew(USA)
The main reason this is done is to enable children to use their tax free allowance if they are not otherwise earning.
No Cardew, the main reason is to avoid IHT. Whether IHT now, on mother's death, or later, on father's death, or IHT at the time of Hugo's death. 40% of the capital sum is much more important than 40% of the measly interest that might be obtained - although I agree that is a subsidiary reason.

As IHT is charged at 40% every time somebody dies, if you can get the assets to skip a generation, then on the balance of probabilities you are only charged every other generation.

sorry, Cardew, that reads more sharply than I should have liked it to have done... oh for an edit button.
Mapmaker,
You are guilty of not reading the exam question!!

Hugo explained that the deed of variation was to take advantage of the spouse's IHT exemption - obviously that is the primary reason. I, and it would appear Hugo, are well aware of the need to use the full exemption from IHT allowance but he didn't ask about that issue.

However his question was:

We have been asked whether or not we want to convert some of our bequests to be left to our children. However, I don't know what tax advantages there are --- Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

C
PS No offence was taken!
Deed of variation on Will - Hugo {P}
Thanks both of you.

Mapmaker

To answer your questions:

"1. Father is still alive"
Yes
"2. Mother has left estate in excess of £263k"
Yes
"3. Father is (relatively) poor - i.e. his assets are anticipated to be less than £263k when he dies."
No his assets will be more than this anyway. The plan is for him to gift his inheritance back to us and hope that he lives for 7 years after then.

"Then please tell me has either:

1. Mother left all her estate to you & your sisters; or
2. Mother left all her estate to her husband."

1. Mother has left her estate to my sisters and I

The plan is for the Deed of Variation to split the first £263k between my sisters and me (3 equal shares) then pass the rest onto my Father, which he will then give back to us.

Hopefully he will live another 7 years, alternitively I believe we can each have our share invested in a trust which becomes IHT exempt after 2 years but we cannot touch it until he dies.

That part of the plan is not an issue to us at the moment. The only question is what tax advantages (apart from the inheritance missing a generation) are there in forwarding part or all of our inheritence to our children?

Many thanks

H
IMHO I would identify IHT missing a generation as the great bonus of using a deed of variation for tax planning. You can indeed always use the 7-year PET method, but that has no guarantee of success (Hugo may die within 7 years of whenever he decides to make the gift to his children), so I'm going to beg to differ with you Cardew as to the main plus of this approach! It's also dependent on the youngsters paying tax at under 40%.

Cardew appears to have identified the main other reason - though as it is just the difference between Hugo paying tax at 40% on the 5%pa yield on the inheritance, and the children paying tax at less than this, presuming they are not 40% taxpayers.

I dare say your solicitor has an up to date view on whether or not there is a risk that a deed of variation is effectively a gift from Hugo to his children, and so the income tax is assessed on Hugo whether or not the money is 'owned' by the children or Hugo. IIRC you will be OK on this - provided the rules have not changed.

You have to balance this with the risk that your children will spend the money on fast cars, and that you will wring your hands in disappointment as they fritter your mother's money away. Depending on how old they are, they may be (about to become) 40% taxpayers anyway - in which case that disadvantage disappears.

Not sure I recognise the scenario with a trust & 2 years - but I suppose I may be a bit out of touch. I think you may have your facts garbled - but hxj may be along in a moment to prove me wrong.
Mapmaker,
I really don't know why you are going to beg to differ with me.

Hugo stated:
"That part of the plan is not an issue to us at the moment. The only question is what tax advantages (apart from the inheritance missing a generation) are there in forwarding part or all of our inheritance to our children?"

I was simply answering the only question he asked in both posts. I did not state or imply that the (possible) tax saving on investment income was more important than the issues he has already identified.

C
I know I know Cardew! You are of course completely right for Hugo's specific circumstances and neatly chose to answer the right bit of the question. The only (& insignificant) point I was trying to make was that the first question was so broadly drafted that it was more a dissertation than an exam question!
Slowing down Scaletrix - Robin
I've just bought my son his 1st scaletrix (sp?). It is designed for 3 year old and above but boy does it go fast. In fact, it goes too fast. It is hard to tell which car is winning and this does tend to spoil the game. Is it possible to slow it down easily. It has a plug-in transformer but this has no adjustments and there is nothing obvious on the bit where the transformer output plugs into the track. I don't want to take things to bits unless absolutely guaranteed to work and to be easy to do.

Many thanks
Slowing down Scaletrix - Altea Ego
does it have hand controls?
Yes. It is just like the bigger boys scaletrix apart frm being a lot smaller. (cars and track are smaller)
Slowing down Scaletrix - Kuang
There's your answer - put a small screw (or similar) into the plunger to act as a 'depth stop'. If the plastic is fragile, it might be less destructive to superglue a small bar onto the bottom edge of the plunger at the required depth (assuming it's one of those original 'trigger' style ones) and then chip it off as your lad becomes more skillful.
Slowing down Scaletrix - Mapmaker
I like the idea of wiring a potential divider into the power supply to reduce the voltage.

PS Whom does he play against???
Yes so would I, but scaletrix seems to pull a fair bit of current and generate a lot of heat, remember scaletrix burnt hand syndrome?
I only ever had the House of Fraser version, which was very much third best. Perhaps why I never turned into a racing driver. (Great thing about Scalextricks is that you seldom suffer tailgating, though I remember once jumping tracks and then being unassailably in the lead... I also remember that different cars had different top speeds.)
What about a variable transformer, taking a tap off at different voltages?

A potential divider shouldn't lead to overheating, should it? It's not as though you're using it as a resistor in the circuit.
Slowing down Scaletrix - spikeyhead {p}
Makes a note to follow gardening advice from Mapmaker, but to ignore the lectronics stuff.

A potential divider will overheat, don't use it.

The variable, or tapped transformer is a good idea.

--
I read often, only post occasionally
Many thanks for all the advice. I'll go get a variable transformer and hopefully slow him down.
Noting spikeyhead is a '37yr old electronics design engineer' I should take his advice, but I am slightly bemused - I haven't thought much about electronics since school though.

A rheostat in series with the race circuit will overheat as it is dissipating the energy and so would be a very bad idea.

I thought that the argument was that a potential divider however puts the race circuit in parallel with a part of the rheostat, and in series with the rest of it, so does not give you such a dramatic energy dissipation as just using a variuable resistance in series.
Slowing down Scaletrix - Vin {P}
Whichever solution you come up with,you could always put a variable resistor or whatever on each track then make sure your son gets less power than you.

V
Slowing down Scaletrix - pmh
Cheap and simple solution.Assuming cars are 12v supply. I am guessing that the cars take about 500mA.

Large wattage low value resistors will be difficult and expensive to buy. Try a series connected 12 v car bulb to determine the effect on each power feed. Start with a Tail 5W of Stop Tail, if too effective Try the Stop (21W). If not enough effect try the 2 filaments in series.

For a confusing effect put in the joint feed as the setting of one controller will also change the speed of the other car!! It may allow you to win all the time.

pmh (was peter)
Forgive me this lapse of concentration, it may be early onset old age, but i thought the idea of the hand control was to speed up and slow down?
Slowing down Scaletrix - patently
Mapmaker, I think spikeyhead's concern flows from the fact that a potential divider involves placing the rheostat directly across the transformer output. It will thus be there permanently and will overheat. In fact, it will be heating whether the cars are running or not, so will be worse than a series rheostat.

In any resistive solution, the energy still has to be dissipated somewhere! Hence the better solution is a variable transformer which avoids generating as much energy in the first place.
IHT: Death-Bed Planning - Mapmaker
It is fairly obvious that IHT is an issue that worries contributors to the BR. I just thought it was worth making a public service announcement and mentioning that for people likely to suffer IHT it is often worth doing something when it is clear that somebody is about to die. It is obviously a stressful time for families, but there is often money to be saved if you are shrewd. It is worth talking to a solicitor or getting hold of a self-help book - you are looking to undertake something called 'death-bed planning'.

For instance, if you haven't already done so, you can use up your annual IHT exemption of £3k for both the current year & the previous year - saving £2,400! If you have small gifts in your will of under £250 you can make those just before you die, absolutely tax free - instead of coming out of the taxed estate. Gifts out of income may be possible, and there are other less obvious ideas, particularly if you have (shares in) a family business, or agricultural property.

Funeral etiquette - L'escargot
I'm expecting to be invited to a funeral in the not too distant future. Is it correct etiquette to wear a white shirt? Also any advice on flowers/wreaths would be appreciated. The last time I went to a funeral was yonks ago and as I was only a teenager I suppose I took a more passive role. No commiserations please.
--
Funeral etiquette - Altea Ego
Been to several some close others not so. Yes white shirt is the norm with a black tie and a dark suit A wreath if it is close, and a spray if not, should be delivered to the house prior to the event.
Funeral etiquette - PhilW
"advice on flowers/wreaths would be appreciated."
Check that invitation/announcement doesn't say "no flowers" Many people prefer a donation to a favourite charity and it may be "family flowers only" as at my Dad's funeral, especially if it is cremation.
As for dress - white shirt perfectly acceptable - in fact I would say that the dress code at funerals is much more "relaxed" than in the past except again for close family. As long as you look smart it's your presence that counts. Dark jacket/trousers/lounge suit/ dark (not flowery!) tie - let's say subdued dress.
Funeral etiquette - defender
usually a white shirt and black tie would be worn but sometimes people request no mourning clothes .as to flowers it is becoming the accepted form that family flowers only and a collection in lue for charity,every situation is differant but often a notice of intimation is placed in the deceased persons local paper with time and format,if the funeral is private you should be given this information or the undertaker would readily supply it .I hope this helps you.
Funeral etiquette - Welliesorter
I was surprised that you say 'invited' to a funeral? Does anyone issue invitations to funerals? Thankfully, I haven't been to too many funerals but I've never been invited to one: I've just gone as the result of the family letting it be known when and where the ceremony will take place. Certainly when my own father died we just placed an announcement in the local paper. If there were people we didn't want there, I certainly didn't feel it right to prevent their attendance.

As for dress, I'd agree that subdued is the best guideline and a black tie is a safe bet. It's depressing reaching the stage in your life when you feel you may as well buy one because you know you're going to need it again. I can't think of an alternative to a white shirt. Coloured isn't really appropriate and black would make you look like a gangster.

Usually the family let their wishes be known with regard to flowers.

One word of advice which probably doesn't need stating: silence your mobile phone. I know someone who didn't at one funeral and she's never lived it down.
Funeral etiquette - L'escargot
Thanks for all the advice. I'll buy a white shirt and keep my favourite black shirt for less sombre occasions.
--
Funeral etiquette - Dynamic Dave
Last funeral I went to I wore dark jeans, a white polo shirt, and a black sweater. But then again, I've always been a scruffy git and people have to accept me as they find me.

Funeral etiquette - Altea Ego
We shall all show you up when we turn up for yours then DD...

(this carries a VBG ;) )
Funeral etiquette - henry k
Also any advice on flowers/wreaths would be appreciated.

Often flowers are passed on to homes /hospice etc. rather than just droop and then go in the local bin. Sprays are best as the flowers can easily go in a vase but flowers stems from wreaths are too short to recycle. Some older people associate lilies with funerals.
Flowers are often delivered to the Funeral Director so ask them what is required.
At a recent funeral I attended, I noticed for the first time that all the cars were on dipped beam, I guess to indicate that they were travelling together.
Funeral etiquette - PhilW
"Last funeral I went to I wore dark jeans, a white polo shirt, and a black sweater. But then again, I've always been a scruffy git and people have to accept me as they find me."

As I said DD - most important thing is that you attend. At Dad's funeral many people came from work and went back to work afterwards therefore wide range of dress. Luckily no professional clowns attended!! Also noticed at recent funerals (I seem to go to more and more!!) that the ladies tend not to be in black and few wear hats these days. Youngsters also rarely have "correct" funeral attire - doesn't matter. Once got "invitation" to a friends funeral which said NO Black to be worn and all men to wear the brightest tie they could - he didn't want his funeral to be like a funeral!!

Funeral etiquette - Hugo {P}
Agree with all the above.

Check on the flowers etc. As someone above said, the family may have requested donations to a charity in the deceased's memory.

As for clothes, unless you're close family, just dress respectfully. If you only have one suit that you wear to work, wear that. If you don't have a suit or jacket just wear the smartest jumper and trouses you have.

A lot of people turned up to my mother's funeral recently simply wearing their smartest shirt, with or without a collar, and trousers and shoes, and a tie if they had one.

My nephew was devoid of anything but his school uniform and he simply wore that without the tie. That was fine.

Some people dressed as if they were going out, but toned down the colours, which worked. One woman wore a chiffren "I Love Jesus" scarf, which we laughed at but others found it inappropriate, Ahem - less said about her the better...

H