Audi A3 CD player - winston
Every now and then the CD player in my car has a spasm. When I normally play a CD in the car I just switch off the engine whilst the CD is still in the CD player. Then when you restart the engine the CD player restarts where it left off. Now this process was normally quite quiet. Now the CD player keeps making a loud ticking noise and the after some time the it reads CD ERROR on the LCD display. Sometimes it just spits out the CD and sometimes it sorts itself out.

I had the car in at Audi a about a month ago for a general check up and I asked them to take a look at the CD player. They came back and said this was normal and it was the CD player just resetting itself. This is a load of old tosh as the CD never made that noise when I purchased the car. A friend has just purchased the TDI version so I will ask what his CD player is getting up to.

Should I push Audi to replace the CD player or should I wait until it goes altogether. The car is only 9 months old from new and I don't really want to wait.

By the way, all those interested in my engine oil usage saga, the car went in for them to check that out and they found nothing wrong. Since that visit the oil level seems to be OK. Strange or what!!!
Audi A3 CD player - Dynamic Dave

Have you tried a CD lens cleaner? The ticking you hear could be the unit trying to read the disc. If it can't, then it makes sense that you get the error and disc spat back out.

Audi A3 CD player - Andy P
Are you using "proper" CDs (i.e. pre-recorded) or CD-Rs you've made yourself? I know some in-car units are a bit picky about which brand of CD-R they'll actually play.

Andy
Audi A3 CD player - El Hacko
while my 14 month old A3 was at the dealer for new cupholder (original wouldn't always open), they noticed clicking sound fm Bose concert (single) CD radio - no "error" came up and it didn't affect radio's performance at all, but they ordered new one without even asking and later fitted it.
Audi A3 CD player - Civic8
Apart from what DD said.have you checked for finger marks on the disc/dirt? clicking noise may come from poss/laser not reading disc properly or disc may have been forced into unit at some point.later could cause the disc to not be in correct place for laser to read it.in some cases they do correct others they dont.in which case a new unit needed.just a thought