BMW 5 series (e39):- faulty front discs - burkeaw
I have a year 2000 BMW e39 5 series that has done 30,000 miles. At its recent service, I was told that it needs new front discs and these are not covered under the warranty as they are ?consumable\".
Has anyone had similar experience?
And have you had any success in encouraging BMW to contribute to the replacement cost?
Rgds, Tony
BMW 5 series (e39):- faulty front discs - Roly93
A lot of my friends drive company 3 & 5 series BM\'s and I have heard several people commenting on this, ie exessive wear on discs due to the hardness of the pads they use.

There is no easy way around this other than to argue harder with the garage, alternatively if this fails, get down to Euro Car Parts and get a new set, they are not as expensive as you may think and not that difficult to fit if you are an average DIY mechanic.
BMW 5 series (e39):- faulty front discs - Dynamic Dave
Brakes are classed as fair wear and tear items. Unless the discs have physically broken and the car is still under warranty, then I'm afraid there's little you can do.

Many factors can prematurely wear discs, such as washing the car and not going for a drive to dry the brakes afterwards, for example.