BMW 318IS Noise! - Matt
I would be very grateful indeed if someone could help me to diagnose a noise that my car has been making for nearly a year now. It is a 1991 E30 318IS 16v m42 engined car (110k miles) and only between 3000 and 4000 RPM it makes a harsh and very noticeable buzzing noise. This is best described as being like a mini chainsaw buzz and although it ONLY HAPPENS WHEN WARMED UP, it does always do it ie not intermittent.

Cam chains have never been changed, nor has tensioner but a \"knowledgable\" friend said it sounded \"more than just a cam chain\"!

Could anyone also let me know what oils to change when I service the car - gearbox and diff (I have not changed them in two years) as well as engine? and finally how often should the brake fluid be changed - done a year ago with dot4). Thanks in advance.

Matt
BMW 318IS Noise! - Mapmaker
Wheel balancing?
BMW 318IS Noise! - Matt
Good idea but it occurs whilst stationary too... and definitely comes from the engine. Thanks for the reply though!

Matt
Fairly unlikely to be balancing then.
BMW 318IS Noise! - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Start with the simple and cheap things first like the heat shielding around the exhaust and catalytic converter.With the help of an Attractive Assistant raise the engine speed to the point where the noise starts then with some form of prodder press against the offending tinwork and see if the noise can be stopped.
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
BMW 318IS Noise! - Civic8
Not knowing the car has it a cat.could be heat deflector vibrating at high revs.or possibly silencer losing its inards.?
just a thought?
BMW 318IS Noise! - Sooty Tailpipes
Yes, I would say, internals of silencer resonating, followed by all kinds of other things which could be loose or touching, even an incorrect or misaligned exhaust hanger. I would do what other folk say, and have it up on ramps, with someone revving to the required rpm, you can also feel components, and feel for the vibration (quite useful under the bonnet when the noise is hard to pinpoint) also, does the car have a viscous fan, if so, removing this will reduce the noise too allow you to hear the one you're looking for.
Take it to your friendly independent fast-fit exhuast place and look at it on their ramps for free.
BMW 318IS Noise! - Matt
Thanks for all the ideas - will do as suggested. The car has no cat (thank god!) and so it could be something else resonating.