Trading down car sizes. - 3500S
As much as I love my Rover 75 CDTi I kind of need to make a hand over heart decision that is difficult but for reasons I can't explain (yet) is probably financially the right thing to do.

So I'm thinking of buying something smaller and a bit cheaper to run towards the end of the year as the 75 will be 2 years old. Current favourite is a 00W Puma 1.7 which seems a steal for what it is and still have some practicality, hopefully with the Lux Pack fitted for some creature comforts.

I could probably get about £10K for mine, pick up a Puma for £6K and pocket the cash and also save some money on the running costs especially in the first year as third year 75 ownership takes a another big bite out of the value.

Would this seem like a sensible thing to do? There is a method for my madness which I can explain shortly.
Trading down car sizes. - carl_a
How about a City Rover 3500S ?
Trading down car sizes. - DavidHM
How much mileage do you do? And plan to do?

If finance is really an issue, what about a Yaris or Clio diesel? £7k, 60+ mpg, low depreciation and surprisingly good to drive. With a three year warranty and low running costs, they'll work out much cheaper than a £6k Puma - which will be image free in three years' time anyway, unfortunately.
Trading down car sizes. - Vansboy
Not sure which'll be hardest - selling the 75 at the price you want - sooooooo many potential buyers will want to trade something in/need finance before they can get hold of your car.

THEN..... find the Puma, there's not lots to choose from, once you start looking.

be worth trying to market the 75 a bit earlier than you want it to go, so when the right offer presents itself, you can always get a banger as a stop-gap.

VB
Trading down car sizes. - Mark (RLBS)
>>Would this seem like a sensible thing to do?

Clearly down to how much you need the £4k (to use your figures) and the reduced running costs. And really that is a decision that only you can make.

Selling a car which you like, which is reliable, and which performs all the function you want and which you enjoy driving and then buying a car which you do not like as much, which wouldn't be your choice etc. etc. would seem to be the wrong decision for any reason other than financial.

Depreciation is only relevant if you will sell the car. It could lose 100% of its value tomorrow, but if you were going to keep the car for 10 years that wouldn't be relevant. So a chunk of depreciation next year is relevant if you intend to sell the car in a year (if you see what I mean).

If it is financially driven, then perhaps about the only advice I would give would be not the Puma and perhaps a year or two older, larger, diesel.
Trading down car sizes. - 3500S
I do really enjoy driving my car, however, one consideration is space which is at a premium where I live and parking is tricky.

Another is the running costs, another two years of MGR servicing whereas something older can get done 'down the arches' by my former mechanic. But the VED is only £135 and it's a fairly new car.

The four grand or whatever it is as such would come in handy but that's not the main concern. To reduce the depreciation to something palatable would mean keeping the car for 5 more years unless it goes at 2. Year 3 is a biggie for my car.

There are other good reasons, all will hopefully explained tomorrow.

I would enjoy the Puma, I had the use of one last weekend looking after it for a friend, it was a lot of fun.

I guess I am just thinking out loud just needing some food for thought really.