523 - 1997 Overheating problem - Edos
I February this year I began to experience overheating with my 1997 BMW 523i.

The RAC could not diagnose the problem directly but advised having the Viscous Coupling on the fan replaced. I booked the car in with my local main dealer who instead replaced the Radiator and Thermostat - telling me that the fan was fine - charging me £450 for the privilege. The problem disappeared.

Two weeks ago the problem reoccurred and the car was sent back to the dealer - this time they have pinpointed a problem with the fan and it's electrical relay which they have replaced along with the fan itself - another £600 (which seems steep).

I am concerned that this may have been the original problem and that I've been taken for a ride - any thoughts?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/02/2009 at 21:07

BMW Overheating - P 2501
I think this sounds a bit dodgy. Maybe you could ask them what their reasoning was for replacing the rad and thermostat. The 600 for the fan does indeed sound steep, but i don't know these cars and perhaps alot of labour is involved (doubtful)
BMW Overheating - BazzaBear {P}
I'm afraid I'm going to be less than helpful.

Thought no 1:
You could be right, but in these situations there is no way of proving that the original parts they replaced weren't also faulty, so impossible to prove you've been ripped off. Might be worth asking them for some sort of discount since they didn't fully diagnose the problem in the first place, thereby costing you extra

Thought No 2:
£450 for radiator and stat??????? I already knew I'd never want to own a BMW, but it's doubly true now. Is that a standard BMW price, or did you have a goldplated version fitted?
And yes, £600 sounds incredibly steep to me, but then it's probably quite comparable to the £450 for the original job.
BMW Overheating - Edos
On thought no 2:

The bill was as follows (+ vat) -

Parts:
Rad = £160.00
Therm = £20.00
Anti Freeze = £13.00

Labour:

Initial Check = £15.00
Rad = £90.00
Therm = £40.00
Road Test = £15.00
Interesting. The parts costs aren't too ridiculous, although the rad might be a little expensive. Any idea what their hourly rate is though? £90 to fit the rad and £40 to fit the stat seem a bit steep. I would have expected the former to be an hours job at most (admittedly I know nothing about this model of car, but if the rad is that hard to replace it's not terribly well designed) and all stats I've seen are a simple bolt on device.
BMW Overheating - P 2501
Edos, could you post a breakdown of the second £600 bill? i can't see how they have charged this for a fan and relay alone.
BMW Overheating - Edos
Still waiting for the invoice - I have been told over the phone 5 hours labour due to investigation and identofication of the relay as the problem!
BMW Overheating - P 2501
They probably did only take an hour to fit the rad, but their hourly labour rate is probably 90 quid! and yes 40 to fit the stat does seem expensive.But as pointed out by bazzabear, you can't prove that the originals were faulty now.
BMW Overheating - P 2501
5 hours labour! That would be pricey at any garage let alone a BM dealership- Perhaps someone with knowledge of this model will tell us if this is fair. It seems a bit of a long time to diagnose a cooling problem on a car that they have already had in and presumably know the design of very well...
BMW Overheating - No Do$h
It may be down to insufficient airflow. Have you tried driving a little further back from the car in front?

::: Ducks :::

Sorry, it seems to be open season on BMW drivers to thought I would get this jibe in as a token effort before pointing out that any further anti BMW posts will get canned.

No Dosh
Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
BMW Overheating - AngryJonny
I had a similar problem on my 5 and they simply replaced the fan clutch. Under warranty, no questions asked. I drove it away the same day and they didn't make out like it was a big job.

I'd be interested to hear why the fan required the replacement of a relay. Certainly on my 5 (granted an older (E34) model, but similar I'm sure) the fan and clutch are entirely mechanical. The fan simply runs off a shaft from the engine, coupled by the clutch which engages as it gets warmer. I wasn't aware of there being any electrics at all in there.

I went through a similar experience with the idle on my BMW... idle control valve and air flow meter were replaced before it was identified as a problem with the lambda sensor.
BMW Overheating - Sooty Tailpipes
Hmmm, the viscous fan and coupling doesn't have an electrical relay, what are they on about?

What can go wrong with the fan? It's just a black plastic thing, as long as it's not physically broken, or bent, there can be no problem, the couplings are about £90-110 depending upon the model, if the coupling is OK, when the engine is hot, you should get a whoosh! from the fan as you rev the engine to about 4000rpm and back down. I would imagine the fitting time to be 30 minutes.
Find out what this electrical problem is, is it for the aircon fans?
BMW Overheating - AngryJonny
That's what I thought.

Perhaps they've replaced the fan-clutch for the main cooling fan (behind the radiator) and replaced the fan and/or relay for an auxiliary cooling fan (in front of the radiator).

It sounds like a belt and braces approach to fixing the problem. I guess until Edos gets the invoice through we can only guess.
BMW Overheating - Aprilia
This is an obscene amount of money to spend on a simple cooling problem - £1100 in total - is that correct?

If an E39 with M52 engine then the main fan couples via a Sachs-type viscous coupling. They cost about £70. The blades themselves are about £20.
The aircon fan is electric, but even that costs less than £150, so I don't know where all the money went.

These cars had a problem with the aircon fan relay which would weld-up in the ON position and keep the fan running after the car was turned off. I think this was 'stock fault'. Maybe this car had the opposite (i.e. the relay got stuck in the off position?).

As regulars will know, I have absolutely no faith in BMW dealers after a series of basic repair errors on a 7-series I owned. They are OK on the simple stuff (oil and filter) and anything where they can plug a computer in and swap out an electronic unit at £££'s. Give them anything out of the ordinary and they are stuck.

The reason that you pay these £90 p/h labour rates is that they are supposed to know the cars backwards and diagnose faults quickly - clearly not the case here!
BMW Overheating - Civic8
I doubt a car that age would have Viscous Coupled fan.electric yes which would account for new relay/fan.and being a BMW I would think price about right.but then I am assuming it being front wheel drive?
I thought all BMW's were rear drive?
BMW Overheating - MrWibble
I'll second Aprilia on BMW dealers - took 6 attempts to fix a flooding rear passenger floor when raining. New seals, carpet removal, hire cars, loan cars, etc etc ad nauseum - finally left with their top chap for a day and he fixed it - blocked drain channels - no problem with it till I handed it in - glad Messrs PHH Arval were footing the bill.

They seemed to respond best to some very direct talking ...
They're all RWD mech1 and all I have seen have viscous fans, even in 1997, are you thinking that's too old or new?
BMW Overheating - Civic8
Sorry I thought some bm`s were fronts.My appologies I do know BMW`s were against front drive.New actually but as I dont know them should not have passed comment.sorry about that:-(wrist slapped.)But to make a point it is unusual for viscous fans to go wrong.so would doubt BMW`s in what they did.?
BMW Overheating - Dynamic Dave
I thought all BMW's were rear drive?

The Mini isn't.
Well, it doesn't have a BMW badge!

Was the Isetta (bubble-car) three wheeler RWD?

I don't know why they use viscous fans, is it a reliability thing? I presume most makers dont because most cars are FWD so can't mount one on the transverse engine, but I find these fans a bit noisey myself! But... maybe it is a nice distinctive turbine-like sound that BMW think is a positive thing? They seem popular on 4x4s aswell.
BMW Overheating - Civic8
viscous fans are very reliable very unusual for one to pack up.they are controled by oil temp.basically a clutch when oil temp in viscous fan gets hot it increases friction on internal fan turbine causing the fan to increase speed.cooler it gets slower fan runs.correct me if wrong.?
BMW Overheating - dieselhead
i can only speak from personal experience but the viscous coupling packed up on my nissan diesel pick-up at 90k miles...it was always very noisy and seemed to sap alot of power from the engine which was a real problem carrying a 2ton+ payload with only 80hp. I would swap it for electric if i still owned the vehicle.
I was told that viscous couplings for ford sierras are in big demand at breakers yards so maybe they are not that reliable.

...forgot to mention they are not controlled by oil temperature as i understand it. A coiled spring expands when hot opening a channel to allow silicone oil (doesn't thin with temperate) to enter a slot between the inner and outer housings ...the shearing of the heavy oil between these provides the drive.
BMW Overheating - Dizzy {P}
Failure of the viscous clutch is usually due to seepage of fluid but the Sachs ones are very long lasting if the one on my last car is anything to go by.

The date-stamp on mine (1992 E34 BMW) showed it to be the original fitment and it started to become inefficient at 120,000 miles (11 years). A new one (Sachs) from Europarts was about £35 but the later ones are a bit dearer, getting on for £60 I think. Fitting took about 20 minutes all in.

A good test is to hold a loosely rolled up newspaper against the fan when the engine is at running temperature. If the fan shreds the newspaper, the clutch is OK. If the newspaper stops the fan rotating, the clutch is failing.
BMW Overheating - Civic8
That maybe because they are overloaded.?
The 1997 E39 *does* use a viscous coupling - I have changed faulty ones on this very model (M52 engine).

Viscous couplings *always* fail - it is just a matter of time. What happens is that the coupling gets less and less efficient with time - so the fan does rotate, but not at a fast enough speed (hence the 'newspaper test'). This is a bugbear on older BMW's and a common reason for them overheating. Usually the coupling is not doing much through the winter and then in the summer you get the first hot spell, queuing in the McDonalds drive-through, and overheating sets in.

I would change any coupling at 8 years old as a matter of course. If you find a 10 year old coupling it will almost certainly be running slow and causing the engine to run hot in hot weather. Many an old E32/34 has been sent to the great scrapyard in the sky because of duff coupling allowing the engine to wreck itself.

They are dead easy to change. They have a reverse-threaded collar. Get one of the special 'coupling spanners' (Laser tools to one for about £8). Put it around the hex and belt the spanner with a hammer. That will loosen the collar and you can unscrew the coupling (with fan). Undo the little bolts that hold the blades to the coupling and move the blades to the new coupling. Then reassemble. Takes about 15mins once you've done one.

Best cooling fans IMHO are the Mercedes type with the electromagnetic clutch. Absolutely brilliant design!
BMW Overheating - tr7v8
The viscous coupling on my 81 Mk 2 Granada died in that the bearing broke up so it went eccentric. Vibration was terrible. Went to local Ford dealer who had one in stock (always a bad sign) then as a passing thought said "does yours have Air con?" to which I replied yes. Oh thats a different type and the price went from £ 50 to £ 110ish!!!! Went to scrappy and got another for a tenner fitted & no more problems.

Jim
BMW Overheating - Matt
This is a very interesting link - my 13 year old E30 318IS has this type of fan and certainly doesn't pass the newspaper test when the engine is idling, even when hot. Is this change coupling time then? Thing is, the car never overheats - usually running just under halfway on the temp guage until stationary for over 10mins - the temp creeps up to about two thirds of the way to the red. Will invest methinks!
Yes, sounds like your coulpling is definitely weak - I would replace before we get more hot weather. Your engine was not too bad, cooling wise. Some of the bigger capacity BMW engines are definitely a bit marginal when it comes to keeping cool.
BMW Overheating - Matt
Thanks Aprilia - a useful post as always - is it worth looking in a scrappy's yard for a new one or just better to buy new for a coupling? Do you have to have the special tool that you mentioned or is it poss with just a standard toolkit? Finally maybe you could help me with my main worry at the mo - I have a harsh and obvious noise from the engine that sounds like a mini chainsaw only between 3-4500 revs. It has been there for over a year, hasn't got any worse and only happens when warmed up. This car has a cam chain (M42 engine) and I have heard that maybe the tensioner needs replacing as the chains themselves are fairly foolproof I think? Any thoughts?

Matt
I have run my 2.5TDS with no fan at all, with no change in temp guage reading, other than when coming off a motorway and having to come to a standstill it may rise slightly before the aircon fans switch to fast. Might just be the diesels, but maybe they are only needed when towing two tonnes across Arabia?
Matt,

My E34 was also dead steady at exactly the midpoint on the temperature gauge and I had no overheating problems. What made me do the 'newspaper' test was that the car was left idling for a long while (possibly 1/2 hour) at the local garage while waiting its turn for MoT on a hot day. I decided to go over to it and switch it off and noticed that the gauge had started climbing a little.

It does sound as though you need to invest. EuroParts were the cheapest for mine but they wanted to know the diameter of it before sending, as a check.

Remember these couplings are only designed to 'lock up' under very hot engine conditions and might not operate when the engine is idling. If it never boils or loses water i don't see a problem. Like others have said they are just for when you have the car full of kids towing a caravan on the hottest day of the year etc. A temp gauge creeping up a little in traffic sounds quite normal to me. Maybe you could try the newspaper test after climbing a steep hill before condeming it.

Remember these couplings are only designed to 'lock up' under
very hot engine conditions and might not operate when the
engine is idling. If it never boils or loses water i
don't see a problem. Like others have said they
are just for when you have the car full of kids
towing a caravan on the hottest day of the
year etc. A temp gauge creeping up a little in
traffic sounds quite normal to me. Maybe you could
try the newspaper test after climbing a steep hill before
condeming it.

No, no, no. They are required when sitting in a queue on a moderately warm day. At idle there will be quite some slip, but enough torque should be there to shred the paper. What happens is that they go weak, but the cooling capacity of the system masks it somewhat (i.e. the thermostat opens a bit wider). The temp guage is also relatively insensitive in the middle of its range.

A weak coupling will suddenly fail one day and you will have a rapid boil-up and then bang goes the head gasket. Not cheap on the BMW, and because the head castings are often a bit porous on BM's you might not be able to skim it.
I have seen this happen more than once.

When you do the job also check-out the very thin self-bleed pipe from the header tank to the radiator (fitted on most BM's). It has a stupidly narrow bore and can block up easily, resulting in air pcokets. Blow it through with an air line.

The couplings are cheap from ECP (£30-£70 range) - you need to know the diameter. You also need the special thin, wide (32mm??) spanner to loosen the old one. They only cost about £8.

Ignore this advice at your peril.
Aprilia
I agree the consequences of the coupling failing could be disastrous if you were unlucky, but your unqualified diagnosis of a failed coupling based on an undefined piece of newspaper being inserted into the fan could be considered questionable!

The whole basis of this thread was that of expensive components being replaced unnecesarily suggesting that proper diagnostic procedures have not been followed. Replacing succesive components to correct a fault or percieved fault is expensive and time consuming especially with BMW's. Unfortunately this seems to be a common practice by the garage trade judging by the posts on this forum.

On the cars I have owned over the years the temp. gauges have often crept up a bit when stationery or coming off motorways etc. so i don't see why BMW's should be different. I thought they have marked a "normal" *range* of temp for this reason.
BMW Overheating - greaser pv
Just to throw a spanner in the works - so to speak.......I'm surprised no one has mentioned other possible causes for overheating BMWs. Just this week I've been to a 328 M-plate with a supposed radiator leak ...... No , the Water pump was leaking , on removal the plastic impeller -yes plastic ! had completely disintergrated the majority laying in the cavity , the rest somewhere else in the system ! Customer goes for first drive , I get phone call , "car's overheating" please can you replace thermostat as well ? On removal of said item I find it's broken , as in sheared completely no waxtat operation at all ! Fitted new one no further problems ......I hope ! Don't people notice problems with their cars ? How on earth did it ever keep the engine cool before the leaking pump drew attention ?
Aprilia
I agree the consequences of the coupling failing could be disastrous
if you were unlucky, but your unqualified diagnosis of a failed
coupling based on an undefined piece of newspaper being inserted
into the fan could be considered questionable!
The whole basis of this thread was that of
expensive components being replaced unnecesarily suggesting that
proper diagnostic procedures have not been followed. Replacing succesive components
to correct a fault or percieved fault is expensive
and time consuming especially with BMW's. Unfortunately this seems to
be a common practice by the garage trade judging by the
posts on this forum.
On the cars I have owned over the years the temp.
gauges have often crept up a bit when stationery or
coming off motorways etc. so i don't see why BMW's should
be different. I thought they have marked a "normal" *range*
of temp for this reason.

Well, people are free to do as they wish with the advice posted here. I have seen enough failed couplings (and replaced a few) to know they are a problem.
When you've dealt with one or two you can 'feel' when they are weak. Basically if they rotate without much resistance (engine off) then the coupling has had it. There should be some 'stiffness' if it is working properly. The newspaper test is a fair test of the coupling performance.
They are not that expensive and are a critical component. If one fails in heavy traffic then it is easy to wreck the engine.
Given the marginal nature of many BMW cooling systems the first thing I would do on buying an 8+ year old BMW is to go to ECP and get a new coupling, water pump and thermostat. That will cost less than £100 (oh, and 3 litres of their anti-freeze).
Replace those bits in about an hour and check that the system is bleeding out OK.
BMW Overheating - John F
My 24yr old viscous fan TR7 never overheats, [although it does have a vast radiator] but if your needle strays to the red, turn the heater on full blast until you can stop and see what the problem is.
[we had to do this 30yrs ago all the way across Spain in an August heatwave in an ancient Renault - engine in the rear. We nearly expired but the engine survived!]

If the heater is not blasting scorching hot air, either there is an air pocket, or you've lost coolant, or it's not being circulated properly.
BMW Overheating - GGH
My J reg. 320i had the fragile nylon/plastic water pump impeller, does yours?
Failed plastic impeller is v. common on BMW's.
BMW Overheating - trancer
Yes it is which is why I am planning to do a waterpump/thermostat (and now a viscous coupling) change in the next couple weeks. I have a 1995 520i and while my car exhibits no signs of overheating, it is a thought I have in the back of my mind everytime I drive simply because of the many overheating cases I have heard of. My temp gauge will rise to exactly midpoint and never go above it, no matter how hot the day, motorway (or slowing down from it) or town driving etc. This contributes to my not trusting the gauge to accurately tell me how hot or cold the car is running, therefore my only solace will be in knowing that all the cooling components are fully up to scratch.

The wrench needed to remove the fan coupling is indeed a 32mm, but I have yet to find one in my searches (Halfords, Machine Mart etc) so would appreciate it is someone could direct me accordingly.
BMW Overheating - greaser pv
It is possible to remove the viscous couplings by a few sharp taps on the edge of the nut using a hammer and heavy drift , cold chisel or such like . Remember it's a left hand thread (usually) , and a sharp tap to tighten it is sufficient as it tightens itself as it rotates .
BMW Overheating - NARU
I drilled through the Viscous coupling on my car, and bolted it up so it went at engine speed all the time. I used two bolts 180 degrees apart so it was still balanced. Worked a treat for on my old Ford.
I drilled through the Viscous coupling on my car, and bolted
it up so it went at engine speed all the time.
I used two bolts 180 degrees apart so it was
still balanced. Worked a treat for on my old Ford.

Good grief. Don't do this!! The fan will be spinning at engine speed all the time (i.e. up to 6000rpm). They were never meant to do this - the coupling slips a lot at high rpm so the fan never goes that fast. There is a serious risk of a blade flying off and causing serious damage/injury.
Trancer,

You may not need to buy a special wrench. There was plenty of room to use an adjustable wrench on my 1992 525i. Other cars may be different of course. Mine was quite tight and I had to lock the pulley before the nut would crack free.

I used to have a long thin 32mm wrench that I made myself for undoing these nuts but I gave this away to a friend with a V6 Ford Granada as they don't have room for a standard thickness spanner.
I found this on the website

www.kenlowe.com/fans/consumers/fans06.html

REPLACEMENT ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT VISCOUS OR ELECTRIC FANS
Original equipment replacement Viscous slip clutch fans are almost always more expensive than a Kenlowe thermo-electric fan which has the advantage of improved m.p.g., reduced noise and a quicker warp-up. Whilst the benefits alone make a strong case, the financial saving when compared with parts for cars from mainland Europe and the Far East can be significant. Kenlowe replacement Original Equipment Electric fans are a low cost, high quality, immediately available option for British, European, Japanese and American manufactured cars. Models are generally directly interchangeable and therefore easily installed. Alternatively, use a larger size Kenlowe for improved cooling - universal mountings make installation simple. Kenlowe thermo-electric fans are available for almost all vehicles fitted with a viscous fan or an original equipment electric fan - ring Kenlowe Technical Services for details, price and your nearest stockist.

Maybe a good idea to use one of these and gain a few hp and mpg if replacing the viscous coupling anyway. Has anyone had any experience of these ?
BMW Overheating - Dude - {P}
This has been a great thread with the sort of advice that you ignore at your peril, and I would personally like to thank Aprilla for his superb input into this forum and also Dizzy for his practical advice and suggestions, - I for one appreciate this sort of knowledge, which unfortunately is sadly non existant from BMW main "stealers".
The wrench needed to remove the fan coupling is indeed a
32mm, but I have yet to find one in my searches
(Halfords, Machine Mart etc) so would appreciate it is someone could
direct me accordingly.

Laser tools do one (v. widely available).
BMW Overheating - AirborneJohn
In response to your statement yes I had to remove the viscous fan on an E30 325I recently as part of the awkward water pump replacement procedure. I scratched my head for a while then used a standard pair of grips ( Stilsons ) with a bit of persuasion it wasn't too bad.

Hope this helps.
My temp gauge will rise to exactly midpoint and never go
above it, no matter how hot the day, motorway (or slowing
down from it) or town driving etc. This contributes to
my not trusting the gauge to accurately tell me how hot
or cold the car is running, therefore my only solace will
be in knowing that all the cooling components are fully up
to scratch.

BMW temperature gauge is very insensitive around the mid-point. The sensitivity is high at low temps and at high temps. i.e. it climbs quickly from cold, but the 'mid-point' covers a wide range of temps. When the cars really overheat the needle goes screaming from the middle to the right-hand side in about one mile!
Normally, the needle sits just to the 'cool side' of the centre marking (about a needle's width). If it sits just to the hot side then (in my experience), although still apparently in the 'normal' rnage, its is a sign of trapped air in the system or a dodgy head gasket.
BMW Overheating - trancer
Thanks for the tips. I did a search for Laser tools, but apparently one needs to have a traders password to do much there. I did find another (Draper)when doing a basic search so I will try one of those. I could always try an adjustable, but I don't want to risk rounding the nut.
Thanks for the tips. I did a search for Laser
tools, but apparently one needs to have a traders password to
do much there. I did find another (Draper)when doing a
basic search so I will try one of those. I
could always try an adjustable, but I don't want to risk
rounding the nut.

Most small and high-street factors (but maybe not Halfords?) stock laser tools. Many should have the fan coupling spanner on the shelf because its a popular job!

One little tip - the 32mm laser spanner can be ground out to 36mm (2mm each side) to fit the propshaft coupling nut on Mercedes cars. That's handy because a standard adjustable won't normally fit into the propshaft 'tunnel' and a slim-jawed open-ended 36mm spanner is both difficult to get hold of quickly and expensive!
I had the plastic impeller explode at 130,000 miles on an 1998 Omega Elite with BMW 325/525tds type engine. It overheated so quickly, that although I regularly check the instruments, I ws alerted to the problem by sudden loss of speed/power on the motorway, a check of the instruments showed temperature full max. I pulled over, and opened the bonnet, the coolant bottle was having a riot and you could hear boiling and I could feel the heat radiating from the engine on my face.

I had it towed to the dealer, who said the head gasket had blown, it had, but the watepump was the cause, Total cost £1200, but the water carried on pressurising at high speed, I kept taking it back, they replaced the fan coupling and radiator for a total of £400, still did it, then a year later, they changed the head gasket again under warranty, and said the head was warped but could not be skimmed.

I now have a new head which cost me £800, and other seals/gaskets/bolts and tools to fit it have cost me £300. I also feel I should replace the camshaft and hydraulic lifters while I'm at it but not sure.

so far the use of plastic impeller has cost me nearly £3000 on a car woth not much more than that. (But the car is worth more to me than that so I'm doing it)

This Omega Elite is a superb frugal, and reliable car, let down by a BMW engine!
BMW Overheating - Matt
Can any of you let me know whether or not this fan might be able to fit my E30 318IS (M42 16valve engine) as I have decided to buy one fast!
Please don't bid against me!!!

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...1

Many thanks,

Matt
You could look on
www.eurocarparts.com

and see if the part numbers are the same for these sifferent engines/models.
BMW Overheating - doug_r1
If I remember rightly, Halfords have the Laser 32mm spanner but it's at the end of the row in the miscellaneous tools, rather than in the spanners where you'd expect to find it. It's shrink wrapped on a large piece of cardboard.

All BMW M52 engines are prone to:

Failed thermostat
Cracked plastic thermostat housing
Stripped threads in the block
Faulty waterpump with plastic impeller
Faulty viscous fan
Air locks in the system, notice the M54 has an extra bleed screw
Oil leaks from the rocker cover
Cracks in the coolant header tank

It's not until you own a BMW you realise how very average their engineering can be.
BMW Overheating - AirborneJohn
I do own a BMW and unfortunately totally disagree they have built their reputation from the cars they have built. Mine is twenty years old and runs like a dream and I'm sure many others would agree.