Alloy wheels - locking nuts - 306 - FP
I've just acquired a second-hand Peugeot 306 Meridian HDi. The dealer who sold me the car did not have the tool to remove the locking nuts on the alloys, though he's offered to get me a new set. Apparently there are ways of getting the wheels off even with the locking nuts in place. He suggests tightening up the non-locking nuts really hard to release the pressure on the locking nut and then working it loose.

Questions that come to mind: does this method work? If so, how tight is "really hard"? Don't you have to beware of overtightening wheel nuts on alloys? I have a torque wrench, so can someone suggest figures? How do you then work the locking nuts loose?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Alloy wheels - locking nuts - 306 - LeePower

Hi

Either go to your Peugeot / Citroen dealer, they should have a set of keys to get these off or go to a good garage you trust & ask them to remove them for you.

Are these the lockers with the 4 holes in them or the later ones with the splined head?

Or buy some cheap sockets that are a bit smaller then the diameter off the head off the locking bolt & smack them on the locking bolts & get them off that way.

Or if these are the 4 hole type, its punch & hammer time.
Alloy wheels - locking nuts - 306 - Dizzy {P}
Chris,

I think you are right to be concerned about the risk with overtightening the non-locking nuts -- and I'm sure this would not work anyway.

A search on the 'Forum Search' (top RH corner of your screen) should bring up earlier postings on this same problem, with much more sensible answers!
Alloy wheels - locking nuts - 306 - Civic8
He suggests tightening up the non-locking nuts really hard to release the pressure on the locking nut and then working it loose.

dont know where he got that from.not adviseable to overtighten any wheel nut/bolt.steel or otherwise will actualy put more pressure on remaining locking bolt.would suggest taking up the offer of replacement removal tool.I dont recommend any form of removing unless emergency
Alloy wheels - locking nuts - 306 - Andrew-T
"tightening up the non-locking nuts really hard to release the pressure on the locking nut and then working it loose". If this were possible, I feel sure that the nuts would work loose during normal driving.

I suppose the locking nuts may be non-Peugeot, but assuming they aren't, a dealer should be able to find a matching key somehow. 'Professional' alloy-stealers would have universal keys, but how to get one - don't know.
Alloy wheels - locking nuts - 306 - DL
You'd be suprised to see how other keys will fit a variety of other locking nuts - the Peugeot Spline ones are very easy to overcome in this way!

I'd return the car to where you bought it and ask them to remove the nuts.

Either replace them with another set or better still, get some Mcguard ones.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Just a foolish thought - if the dealer hasn't got the locking-nut key, maybe it is still with the previous owner? (not much hope if it was a co.car though).
Alloy wheels - locking nuts - 306 - FP
Many thanks to all who contributed. The story is now ended - happily.

As a result of your postings, I drew up three plans. In the worst case scenario, I would get a garage to remove the locking and fit new ones. Next worst: go to a Peugeot dealer and try to buy the appropriate tool for the existing locking nuts. Best option: find the missing tool. This I did by checking the previous owner from the V5 document and looking up their phone number on the BT website; fortunately the number was there. The guy who answered didn't have much of a clue, but said he had a plastic bag of some bits he'd taken out of the car - wasn't sure what they were for, but they looked like some kind of nuts. On the off-chance that they were what I was seeking, yesterday evening I trekked some distance out into the fens of East Anglia and bingo! there were the missing bits - two of them!

It must have cost quite a bit in fuel, but it was the most elegant solution.
Chris - glad that my thought wasn't so foolish after all.