VW Touran - A user review - Dr Rubber
After HJ asked for user comments on the VW Touran, I thought I?d write a ?review?. After 2.5k miles, and one trip to the dealer for a couple of minor niggles, I am still happy with my purchase, and would recommend it to anyone?s short list.

Model: Touran 1.6FSI S 7 seat

What?s Good: Space, Versatility, Noise Levels, Comfort, Equipment levels, Safety equipment, Handling.

What?s not so good: ?A? pillars big, some minor niggles (fixed by dealer), CAN bus system makes fitting accessories expensive, handbrake ?LHD?.

In more detail;

The car handles better than my old (2001MY) Polo SDI, and I?ve only had the traction control kick in once (a roundabout at 40mph). Once you are in, apart from the greater height, you would not know it?s an MPV. Round town there is little engine noise, no wind noise but some tyre rumble. Speed cushions float by, and potholes are a slight bump. At higher speeds, the engine is more pronounced, and so is the tyre rumble, but no real wind noise. Fully loaded, the torque of a diesel would be nice, and to get any sort of performance you have to get the engine into ?normal? mode above 3000rpm. However the transition between ?lean? and ?normal? is not as pronounced as a 1.6VTEC Civic.

Carrying capacity is good. I?ve had 4 adults (three over 6ft) and two children, plus a pram, in comfort. That said, my eight year old would prefer not to sit in the rear seats for a very long journey. The individual fold/removable seats make load carrying easy. It has also swallowed a cot bed and a fridge freezer, and still had room for a passenger in the rear. When the middle row of seats is removed however, there is a slight step from the ?boot? base to where the seats were. This can make loading difficult. The catches for the rear two seats also protrude into the boot slightly, which limits the ultimate width of the boot, but I have not had a problem yet.

At the wheel, visibility is good, apart from the large ?A? pillars. I don?t have as bad a problem as HJ highlighted, but I like an upright driving position, so I guess it?s an individual issue. Also, like many modern cars, you can?t see the ?corners?, but you soon learn where they are. There is a place to rest your clutch foot, but the centre console is the same for LHD and RHD cars. This means the hand brake is next to the passenger seat, which can mean playing ?touchy feely? with a passengers dangling hand. Apart from this, the controls are clear, although not as tactile as the Polo?s. Equipment levels are good, better than the equivalent Zafira, but I would recommend an SE over an S. The options list is not that long though (compared to a Zafira), and some things are expensive (a dealer fit towbar is 500ukp, and is the only option at present due to the CAN bus system).

I get 35mpg over mixed driving, and nearer 40 if you take it steady on the motorway below 3000rpm (keeping at or below 70mph). It does though prefer 97 Ron super unleaded over the 95 sort, giving better tractability at low revs. I have not yet compared economy with the two fuels.

Faults: rear wiper one spline out, so it wiped the bodywork. Slight buzz in rear view mirror (replaced). The service display is set to 1500miles, not 10000 miles (I don?t want to pay 10ukp per litre for oil, so it?s set to fixed service intervals) but that?s easy to reset. All bar the service display has been fixed by the dealer (I can?t be bothered to take it back for that, but they know about it).

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it is useful

Joe

VW Touran - A user review - Mr Moo
Joe,

Thank for the posting - makes interesting reading. Just out of interest, what made you choose the petrol FSI engine over the TDI diesel? Cost? Not doing enough miles to recoup the extra outlay on the diesel model? I notice that you had a Poloo SDI diesel before and I would have though that the torque of the TDI would better suit a fully loaded Touran. Certainly, nearly all the Tourans I've sen running around have been TDIs. Just interested in your reasons .

Cheers

VW Touran - A user review - Nsar
Mr Moo replies to Dr Rubber. I need a better handle!
VW Touran - A user review - Dr Rubber
Mr Moo,
Given a choice (and more cash) I would have brought a TDI SE. But, you can get good discounts on brand new FSI S models if you shop around, and the 4k price difference between a TDI and what I paid for mine is a lot of Diesel (5 years worth, even with 97ron!). Also, as it was in the dealers lot, I could drive away within days, not weeks.

Joe

(An example of the deals to be had - A metalic blue 5st 1.6 FSI S, unregistered, yours for 14k. List price 16k - this is at a VW dealer).
VW Touran - A user review - Mad Maxy
CAN bus system?

Whassat??
VW Touran - A user review - NowWheels
CAN bus system?
Whassat??

a double-decker with a tin-opener? {grin}
VW Touran - A user review - Altea Ego
Controlled Area Network. Sometimes known as multiplexed wiring. The new way the electrics are operated on cars.
VW Touran - A user review - philipb
I thought I would add my two pennyworth to the Touran debate.

Model: Touran Sport 2.0 TDi 7 Seat

I collected my Touran a week ago and have put 500 miles on the clock so I am still running it in gently. I agree with Dr Rubber (!) about the cars good points and to date have not had any problems.

I thought long and hard between the Grand Scenic and the Touran. There were two things that swayed my choice.

1. Engine. The VW TDi 2.0 136 bhp 320 Nm is a stonking engine with fantastic mid-range acceleration and peak torque at around 2000 rpm. This means that if you are cruising in a suitable gear, overtaking is a doddle. My previous car was a Ford Galaxy 115 bhp TDi whose engine was quite impressive. This is very much a state-of-the-art diesel which means that the car lives up to its Sports moniker, in a dieselly kind of way. By contrast, the Renault has a measly 120 horses...

2. Satellite Navigation. I have wanted a decent Sat nav for ages. The VW system is great: really clear 6.5 inch colour screen that goes the coolest blue colour at night time (a Blaupunckt Pilot DX), coupled to a driver instruction panel between speedo and rev counter that essential information without distraction. By contrast, Renault only offer a turn-by-turn system for pretty much the same price!

The thing that has astonished me so far is how relaxed I feel after a long journey in the Touran. I traded in a current model Galaxy and in some ways you could say I have moved down a class of car. Yet the Touran is twice the car the Galaxy was. It is vastly safer to drive with hardly any body roll, fantastic road holding and all the active and passive safety systems that are going.

I appreciate that the thick A-pillars may not be everyone's cup of tea but from my driving position, they hardly interfere with my view of the road and I would far rather drive around in a 2004 F1-style safety cage and preserve life and limb.

It will be interesting to see how the trade in prices compare in three years. The motoring press seems to be divided as to whether the Scenic or Touran will lead in the depreciation stakes. Any ideas?
VW Touran - A user review - DavidHM
Re: depreciation - I reckon the Touran will have it as a percentage of list, but the Scénic edges it in in pound notes after you take into account the discounts you can get from brokers. Miss out on the discounts though and the Scénic looks very expensive.
VW Touran - A user review - hxj

I hope you all enjoy your Touran's, although rumour has it that they are not exactly roaring off the forecourt.

I enjoyed test driving one, but I simply could not justify the huge price premium that VW were asking, particularly for the seven seater, although this has now been partly dealt with.

As regards depreciation I think that both the Touran and Scenic will suffer from two big problems, the first is fashion and the second is being too late to market.

Firstly I really doubt that the current craze for MPV's will last.

Secondly in say two years time there will be so many slightly older Zafiras, Multiplas, Sharans, 807s, Voyager's etc etc on the market that there would have to be a really good reason to buy either the Scenic or Touran.

Neither I think are that good to demand a premium.
VW Touran - A user review - BobbyG
Very valid point there hx, think when you see the discounts that you can buy some of these for just now, eg C8, then I think the market will crash pretty soon.
I like the look of the Grand Scenic, but would not even contemplate buying one new, think I would wait minimum 6 months till the ex-demonstrators and dealer's own cars are starting to come on the market.
From a personal point of view, I think the Touran looks good, but the back of it just reminds me of an old VW van from years ago, totaly non-descript, bland etc.
Still think there is a bit of a "snobbery " about VWs, bought by people who can't quite stretch to BMWs but don't want to share Fords, Vauxhalls and the French nrands with the rest of us - saw a new Golf TDI advertised for £25000 - £25K for a Golf? Come on?
5 seat MPV - Singer-G
As regards depreciation I think that both the Touran and Scenic
will suffer from two big problems, the first is fashion and
the second is being too late to market.
Firstly I really doubt that the current craze for MPV's will
last.
Secondly in say two years time there will be so many
slightly older Zafiras, Multiplas, Sharans, 807s, Voyager's etc etc on the
market that there would have to be a really good reason
to buy either the Scenic or Touran.
Neither I think are that good to demand a premium.

I think there will always be a market for those people who need more than 5 seats. However, I feel the bottom will drop out of the market for 5 seat MPVs. Overall they are really no more versatile than a larger conventional hatchback.

My current car is a 2002 Toyota Corolla Verso 1.8 petrol. My previous car is was a 1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 petrol.

The Verso has more leg and head room in the rear than the Mondeo, and the children like it because they sit higher and can see out more easily. The Mondeo had more boot space.

The Verso handles reasonably, and is better to drive than the old model Scenic. However it cannot match the Mondeo round corners.

The economy of the Verso starts to suffer at higher speeds, presumably due to the extra height.

Having tried this type of car I would not choose a 5 seat MPV again. I would go for Avensis rather than Corolla Verso, Laguna rather than Scenic, or Mondeo rather than Focus C-max. As for Volkwagon, well I'd consider a Passat if they made a hatchback version.

Five seat MPVs are misnamed. They are first and foremost people carriers. A large hatchback is more of a multi-purpose vehicle.

VW Touran - A user review - NowWheels
I appreciate that the thick A-pillars may not be everyone's cup
of tea but from my driving position, they hardly interfere with
my view of the road

Glad you are pleased with the car, but was curious about this A-pillars comment. Is this 'cos you are tall enough not to have them in your line of sight? If so, is this configuration best avoided by verically-challenged drivers?
VW Touran - A user review - philipb
I always take great stock by HJs opinion and was concerned that his Touran test drive was spoilt by blind spots which made his green wheelie bins disappear!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=103

I have only had the car a week but haven't come across this problem yet. I am of average height but, aided by a height-adjustable seat, sit reasonably high in the car. Perhaps this helps?

Ultimately, MPV ownership is largely dependent upon the need to keep the children happy. I test drove an Accord Tourer Executive CDTi and was pleased as punch with it: lovely car with the best diesel engine made to date. When I returned to the showroom (in our Ford Galaxy) with my wife and three children, they hated sitting low down in the rear seats. By contrast, they are happy as anything in their individual seats in the Touran and can still invite a friend or two for a day trip if they fancy. In this country the Touran is a niche product: ideal for families with three children. In Germany they have really taken to the Touran as a quick search through German websites (using Google's automatic translation function) shows.
Hope this helps

Philip