If not an Alfa 147, then...? - Orson {P}
Mrs O is looking for a new car. We've driven the Focus 1.6 and it seemed ok until we drove a 147, which seems a much better car. We've now read the car-by-car breakdown (oh how aptly named!) and she's taken fright. The dealer was also only offering a 30 day warranty, which I didn't think you could do nowadays.

So, she wants something with a bit of poke, but no more than a 1.8, practical, economical and not too large. Doesn't matter whether it's petrol or diesel, 3 or 5 doors. Budget £8k ish. Any ideas?

Thanks,

O
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - NowWheels
Nissan Almera 1.8

not trendy, so v good value s/h, and very reliable
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - owen
Nissan Almera as an alternative to an Alfa 147??? Surely not!

Get an aftermarket warranty from somewhere like warranty direct, then enjoy driving something that doesn't look like every other car on the road!
Nissan Almera as an alternative to an Alfa 147??? Surely
not!

Orson's requirement is for car with "a bit of poke, but no more than a 1.8, practical, economical and not too large"

Check out the car-by-car breakdown on this site -- the Almera fits the bill quite well.
Get an aftermarket warranty from somewhere like warranty direct, then enjoy
driving something that doesn't look like every other car on the
road!

A warranty doesn't stop a car breaking down, it just means you don't have to pay extra for the privelige of having it break. Warannty or no warranty, a car stranded on the ropadside or hospitalised in the garage is still a car you can't drive ... and that ain't very practical
A warranty doesn't stop a car breaking down, it just means
you don't have to pay extra for the privelige of having
it break. Warannty or no warranty, a car stranded on
the ropadside or hospitalised in the garage is still a car
you can't drive ... and that ain't very practical

Very true, but if someone is very taken with the idea of an Alfa 147, a gorgeous, individual car, then is a Nissan Almera (a horrible car to look at and drive IMO) a credible alternative?
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - Aprilia
Very true, but if someone is very taken with the idea
of an Alfa 147, a gorgeous, individual car, then is a
Nissan Almera (a horrible car to look at and drive IMO)
a credible alternative?

Have you honestly driven an Almera 1.8?

Far from 'horrible to drive' (and I've driven most things). Its not outstanding, but the worst you could say is that its average (if something like a Focus is 'average').
We have an Almera at work (don't think it's a 1.8 admittedly). Each to his own, i just dislike it intensely. I accept that for the price it is very good value for money, it just feels more like an appliance to me than a car. Unpleasant interior, awful looks, noisy engine, imprecise handling. OK, there are plenty of other average cars in this class, but the Alfa 147 is not one of them, at least not in terms of what I like in cars.
We have an Almera at work (don't think it's a 1.8
admittedly). Each to his own, i just dislike it intensely.
I accept that for the price it is very good
value for money, it just feels more like an appliance to
me than a car.

I guess it depends what you're looking for. Myself, I see a car as an appliance, just a device for getting from A to B. The best appliance is the one which does the job with minimal fuss and greatest reliability.

It's nice if an appliance looks pretty, but I wouldn't swap my (v reliable and efficient) washing machine for one which looked flashier but might not work.
Fair enough, life would be dull if we all liked the same things!
Fair enough, life would be dull if we all liked the
same things!

It would indeed be dull!

It'd be intersting to hear Mrs Orson's take on this, cos I suspect its partly a gender gap thing. Most of my friends seem to share my view of cars as appliances, but some women do like the vavoom sort. I have one friend who forever lusts after huge old coupes, even tho would be utterly impractical and unreliable, but she seems to be a rarity
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - Smartdealer
I guess it depends what you're looking for. Myself, I
see a car as an appliance, just a device for getting
from A to B. The best appliance is the one
which does the job with minimal fuss and greatest reliability.
It's nice if an appliance looks pretty, but I wouldn't swap
my (v reliable and efficient) washing machine for one which looked flashier but might not work.

What about if the washing machine was quiet, moderateley exclusive and got your whites whiter?! Only kidding of course but in my experience people who say they just use a car to get them from A to B privateley would love to buy the latest and greatest motors! You are posting on an enthusiasts website afterall!

As for Alfa's, I no nothing about them other than they look nice and I'd probably like to own one if I had a spare toyota in my garage!
What about if the washing machine was quiet, moderateley exclusive and
got your whites whiter?!

I wouldn't care if my washer was exclsuive ... actually, come to think of it, that'd be a bad thing cos it'd be harder to get it fixed if anything went wrong.

I suppose I'd like one which washed my whites whiter, but I've never found much difference betwen washers on that score, so I'd take any claim with a big pinch of salt.

The one thing I would like would be a quieter washer ... but then I deliberately chose the noisy one cos it was more reliable!

> Only kidding of course but in my
experience people who say they just use a car to get
them from A to B privateley would love to buy the
latest and greatest motors! You are posting on an enthusiasts website
afterall!

Well, I would like a v difft car to the run of t'mill one, but nobody is likely to make it soon. It'd have no gears (just fwd & reverse), v few buttons inside, be ultra-reliable, come in nice colors (no more boring black+silver innards) and it'd look cutesy rather than posh, and above all it wouldn't be fussy about the odd bump. A sortofa rubbery Nissan Micra, I guess :)

So the latest & greatest motors here are actually pretty much the opposite of what I'd want!
As for Alfa's, I no nothing about them other than they
look nice and I'd probably like to own one if I
had a spare toyota in my garage!

If I had Toyota in t'garage, I'd clear away the flashy Italian thing and save some space!

See, it's a matter of very difft priorities :)
The dealer
was also only offering a 30 day warranty, which I didn't
think you could do nowadays.

Maybe the dealer knows something you don't? LOL!!

Agree with the Almera 1.8 suggestion - excellent car for the money.
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - just a bloke
Mrs O is looking for a new car. We've driven the
Focus 1.6 and it seemed ok until we drove a 147,
which seems a much better car. We've now read the car-by-car
breakdown (oh how aptly named!) and she's taken fright. The dealer
was also only offering a 30 day warranty, which I didn't
think you could do nowadays.
So, she wants something with a bit of poke, but no
more than a 1.8, practical, economical and not too large. Doesn't
matter whether it's petrol or diesel, 3 or 5 doors. Budget
£8k ish. Any ideas?
Thanks,
O

Don't be scared! Mrs JaBs 147 has been perfectly fine, I know several other 147 owners all of whom are very happy with their cars... altho' I do know 1 who has had several problems :-(

The best looking / sounding car in it's class and you get so many toys for your money :-D

Hmm, as an Alfa owner in the past (even a member of the owners club!) I can testify that they can be good to drive. The trouble is, you need to be prepared for Alfa ownership to turn into a 'hobby' (i.e. spend lots of time fixing things, researching faults that the clueless dealers don't know about, etc.).
I suspect 'Mrs O' might just want a car that gets her from A to B in comfort; starts every time on a cold morning etc, etc. The Nissan fits the bill.
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - El Hacko
am really enjoying this thread, in particular: it comes down to following heart or head - Italian emotion versus Oriental practicality....what a pity one cannot satisfy both with one vehicle!
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - Malcolm_L
Mazda RX-8???

Mazda RX-8???

oh no, don't start that one again! {grin}

see the notorious windup thread at www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=20...8
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - PR {P}
Don't be too put off by the car by car breakdown. The GF has a 147, has had it a year now and 18k miles, and except for a couple of rear window heater elements not working, its been faultless.
There was an excellent thread on here recently that pointed out that the difference in % points between the most satisifed and least satisfied customers is not all that large.
I suspect 'Mrs O' might just want a car that gets
her from A to B in comfort; starts every time on
a cold morning etc, etc. The Nissan fits the bill.

...and from personal experience, the 147 fits that bill perfectly as well ;-)

It think it's true to say tho' that if you get a friday Alfa, it really can be a nightmare but it's equally true to say there are fewer and fewer "fridays" :-)

The dealers can be pretty cr@p tho' :\ but again they don't have exclusive rights on that territory either :-D

JaB
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - Vansboy
Mx5.... but stick with the 147 for a bit more practicality.

& shop around, plenty coming through from good homes in user chooser fleets. Should get a proper service history that way.

The dealer would need to back it up with more than 30 days warranty anyway.But enforcing the recent new consumer legislation is another thing!!

VB
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - madf
Ford Puma 1.7
Ford reliability good looks and a great drive.
Cheap too...
Plus 35mpg

madf

If not an Alfa 147, then...? - andymc {P}
Seat Leon - you should be able to get an early TDi 110 for that money by now. 55 mpg, loads of overtaking ability, good ergonomics, looks well, decent boot space. HJ himself owned a hot version (1.8?) which he seemed to be impressed with.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmmm, doughnuts
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - No Do$h
Seat Leon is a good choice, but they do seem to hold their price (and it's due for replacement, so the residuals will take a dive just after you buy if you aren't careful). Also consider the Civic 1.6 S(port).

As an alternative, if t'missus liked the 147 initially, shop around for one at a dealer that will give a proper warranty. Sounds more like the dealer is to blame for the volte face than the car itself.

Having driven all kinds of cars from pretty much every mainstream manufacturer, modern Alfas are no worse than "reliable" VAG cars and have more "va-va-voom" than the sensible options.

But then I would say that, wouldn't I?

No Dosh
Cuore Sportivo - Says it all really.
But then I would say that, wouldn't I?
No Dosh
Cuore Sportivo - Says it all really.

;-) doesn't make it any less true tho'

JaB
Thanks for all these.

A car to Mrs O is something to do A to B without getting wet in. She doesn't mind what sort, though thinks Golfs are overpriced, and doesn't even mind the colour! She works 150 miles away from me during the week, so something that breaks (or is likely to break) regularly is not something that she (or I) is prepared to put up with. We both loved the Alfa, and interestingly Vansboy, an MX5 is a strong possibility, though I didn't mention it for fear of going off on a red herring chase.

Will certainly investigate other dealers for Alfas, and check out an Almera and Leon. The cash is stretchable for the right car. Any other ideas?

I tried an XJS the other day, but I don't think she believed me when I said it was nice and practical and cheap to run...

O
Orson,

Not sure if the XJS was a joke, but Mrs Vansboy had a Sovereign, for years (too long really) before it started costing £$£$£. Other than fuel, it wasn't a dear car to own.They represent very good value, when you consider their price new.

& she tested 147 before choosing Mx5. Get her to try one!!!

VB
No, the XJS wasn't a joke, but she'd never go for it - she thinks it's too large. When I need another car, on the other hand...

She has tried an MX5 twice now, and is very taken. She can't decide between fun car (luggage space in MX5 is small;security worries with Norwich/Sheffield's finest young erks who have nothing better to do than trash a softtop) and something more sensible, which is where we came in with Alfas, Focusses (Focii?) and so on. I've tried to point out that she's not getting any younger and once urchins come along, that'll be it as far as sports cars go for a while. It's just finding the right words to say all that.....

O
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - BazzaBear {P}
No, the XJS wasn't a joke, but she'd never go for
it - she thinks it's too large. When I need another

I've tried to point out that she's not getting any
younger and once urchins come along, that'll be it as far
as sports cars go for a while. It's just finding the
right words to say all that.....
O

The way I think of it is: Life's for living, once you're dead they take you to the church in an emminently practical car.
Decide exactly how practical your next car NEEDS to be, then within that limit get the most fun enjoyable car you can. If you can cope with the lack of practicality, MX-5 seems a wonderful idea. If not, the Alfa has a zest for life few similar cars can match.
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - Mrs O
Just finished reading all the above posts. Thank you all for your very helpful suggestions. I think I've decided that a 147 is not for me, because even if we can find the right warranty, I don't want the hassle of a car that keeps breaking down on me, especially as I do a 300 mile round trip on country roads most weekends. Very taken with the idea of an MX5, but I will also be having a look at an Almera and a Leon.

I've tried to point out that she's not getting any
younger and once urchins come along, that'll be it as far
as sports cars go for a while. It's just finding the
right words to say all that.....

Ps. Before Orson gives anybody the wrong idea, I am only 28!
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - BazzaBear {P}
Ah, the curse of Alfa strikes once again. All the people who have or do own an Alfa pipe up to say that they're perfectly reliable, while the people who never have owned one say they're not, and for some reason, the latter hold more conviction.
We're not just trying to drag you down with us, honest! They are reliable! Hello? Can anybody hear me.....
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - runboy
Comments from Mr Clarkson on last nights Top Gear about the 166 don't help.

It is like Skoda-generally good cars but for years put down by the old stigma. Thankfully they are past that now. Hope Alfa goes the same way-I like the design of the cars.

But I will always stick up for the SEAT Leon-nice motor.
Well... On Saturday, Mrs O purchased...an MX5.

This had been on the cards, but wasn't originally mentioned on this thread to avoid the red herring discussion. So she's gone for the wind in the hair, flies in the teeth approach and plumped for a tidy 2000 X plate with 21k on the clock and hardtop for what seems to me like a very reasonable price. A fetching colour - gold, light bronze or "Judith Chalmers" depending on who you ask.

So the faithful 1993 L Nissan Micra is up for sale. Full details in Classifieds...

Many thanks to all,

O
If not an Alfa 147, then...? - No Do$h
Good choice Mrs O.

And that's from an Alfa fanatic......
Good choice Mrs O.
And that's from an Alfa fanatic......

>>

Yes indeed...

an MX5 was next on my list if I couldn't find a GTV\Spider I wanted...
Trust shes giving the 'Hi 5 wave' to other Mx5 drivers!!

& joined www.mx5oc.co.uk

& discovered how many years younger she feels, every time she steps into the car!!

Have fun!!

VB