Pug 306 fuel filter - P 2501
Hello all,

My car is a 306 1997 xtdt. i recently changed oil and filter, air and fuel filter. Everything ok except the rubber bulb primer that is used to pump fuel into the new filter is always soft.by that i mean it takes about three or four pumps to firm up even after the car has been run, this isnt a problem as it always starts after being left over night, but i was curious as to why the bulb now goes soft as before it used to stay firm?
Pug 306 fuel filter - solara
Mines is the same, but have never found it be a problem.
In fact, I never recall the priming pump remaining hard (next morning scenario). After a few pumps it stays hard, until the engine is run.
Pug 306 fuel filter - dieselhead
I find that fitting the plastic type of filter element results in a soft primer bulb and air leaks into the injection system. Fitting a steel bodied replacement (coopers filter) cured the problem completely.

Pug 306 fuel filter - DL
What make of filter did you fit?

I would agree - a soft bulb is nothing to worry about.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Hello

It was a mahle filter, supplied by local motor factors. thanks for all the replies. as everything is fine i am going to ignore it.
i think i recall someone saying to use a threadlocking compound on the bolt threads, but i didn't. Is this necessary?
Pug 306 fuel filter - solara
Putting threadlocking compound on fuel filter housing is not a good idea, expecially as this is a fairly frequent service part.

If the rubber seal around the fuel filter is doing its job, I see no need for this.
Thanks for the advice solara.
Pug 306 fuel filter - DL
I would have no concerns fitting a Mahle filter - they are a respected make.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Pug 306 fuel filter - dieselhead
Mahle make a good filter but from my experiences seems that the design not quality of the filter that makes the difference. I have used 3 genuine plastic type lucas filters from peugeot which all gave air bubbles in the fuel and running problems. This only stopped after fitting a non OE steel topped filter.