VW Golf 3 Door Lock info - GGH
Two years ago I broke the control rod in my drivers door. I purchased a strenghtened repair kit which included a new lock barrel. I have now broken the passenger side control rod. I purchased the replacement parts, but a new lock barrel was not available, the agent was sold out. I therefore drilled out the eye in the old barrel by 15 thou to take the new rod and all seems to work well. I do not expect any problems and would therefore not recommend going to the extra expense of a new lock barrel. I understand the problem affects all mk3 golfs and polos.
VW Golf 3 Door Lock info - neil 1
I wondered if you removed the interior trim - i sure you did. Is this difficult without damaging any clips etc. My passenger c/l has packed in and I don't want to damage the trim. Any help is useful.
Thanks
VW Golf 3 Door Lock info - VR6
The interior door card is very easy to remove without damage to the actual trim.

All you need to do is take off the plastic trim which covers the large door grab on the inside of the door. Use a flat screwdriver to prise it off. Under the trim there are 2 large screws which attach the door card to the actual door. Remove these screws.

Unscrew the interior door pin. All you need to do now is carefully pull the door card. There are about 4 pop clips at the bottom, and two up either side. I'd strart at the bottom of the door card. The pop clips take some force to 'un-pop'. But as long as you pull the door card carfully and 'straight' and not just yank it off, the clips ususally survive.

The interior door pull will need to be kept in the 'open' position, otherwise you'll not be able to get the door card past it.

Also - its worth removing your door speakers so that you dont damage the wires.
VW Golf 3 Door Lock info - GGH
Neil 1
I agree with what VR6 has said, except I did not need or think of removing the speakers. I have worked on both front doors without breaking anything. This must be a first for me whilst working on trim! Best of luck.