Journey to the Black Forest - Joe 90
I am driving down to a small town in the Black Forest, not far from Offenburg, I have booked a ferry crossing to Calais leaving at 0100 and plan to drive via Belgium (to avoid the French Tolls) on the E40 to Aachen and then turn right towards Freiburg I would be grateful for any tips advice etc, I?m going at the end of June.
Journey to the Black Forest - Mapmaker
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19593&...f

Travelling off-peak, use the Belgian free roads; at peak time go through France.

Which village? Have spent many a happy week in that part of Germany. Take a trip over the border to France whilst you are there for your supermarket shopping - red wine, horsemeat etc.; German supermarkets just are not in the same league (except Lidl & Aldi, of course).
Journey to the Black Forest - Joe 90
Alpirsbach is the village, Unfortunately we don?t drink, I?m thinking of taking it up again because the prices on the continent are so cheap (just been to Spain, booze at silly money, the bourbon was cheaper now than it was when I gave it up 14 years ago!)any railway journeys nearby? I'm a fan of Swiss railway journeys,HOW SAD AM I?

Journey to the Black Forest - PhilW
A good route planner is Via Michelin which allows you to set all sorts of parameters (toll/no toll, motorways preferred etc). Also works out cost of tolls for you.
Personally I prefer the French M-ways, better surface, less traffic, better services, loads of "aires" etc. Might also be worth nipping into Luxembourg for cheapest petrol. And fags are much cheaper in Lux and Belgium than Fr or Ger. Don,t forget that French supermarkets also cheap for lots of other things (engine oil, wipers, etc.)
Enjoy your trip - Black Forest very beautiful (except for the occasional horrible railway!!)

tinyurl.com/ysnhg

for Michelin site
Journey to the Black Forest - patpending
BTW there are MAJOR road works on the E411/ E25 which are the direct Belgian route and take you through Luxembourg, so the advice "at peak drive through France" is doubly true.

I went along the E25 from Arlon to Bastogne (part of this probably not on your route) last week and driving through mud at 70kph! all down to a single lane. it's quicker to take the N4!

this road report brought to you by patpending...