Old tyres - Roger Jones
The Capri 2.8i that I am selling has laid up for 10 years in a dry unlit garage. The wheels have been off the ground and the tyres kept at proper pressure. Will the passage of time have rendered the tyres useless or should they be safe for driving?

All the best
Re: Old tyres - John Slaughter
Be very careful - I had my Minor laid up for 10 years, in a garage with the tyres kept inflated. The tyres looked Ok, and lasted for the first couple of hundred miles after the car was back on the road. Then I noticed that two were starting to crack around the circumference, and tread separation loomed. I replaced the whole set. This was on a Minor and it hadn't been above 50 miles/hour as I'd rebuilt the engine. I'm not sure I'd risk it on a 2.8 Capri. However, you're selling it, so you will find the buyer will probably want to knock the price down because of issues like this. I'd price the tyres, but not necessarily buy them, and then you know what sort of hit to take in the negotiations!

Regards

John
Re: Old tyres - Alvin Booth
Hi Roger,
I would definitely agree with John on this one. They are getting very keen on age of tyres nowadays and even reccomend changing tyres on age irrespective of mileage. Probably over the top but certainly 10 years is far to long. If you see me thumbing a lift please don't stop for me...........

regards

Alvin Booth
Re: Old tyres - Andrew Hamilton
My mothers Metro tyres were original and over 17 years old before being changed. However the car spent most its time in the dark in the garage! Therefore sunlight had less chance to age them and they still looked OK. Total mileage was 21,000 miles since new.
Re: Old tyres - Roger Jones
Interesting, Andrew. That's why I mentioned that my garage was unlit, as I suspected that sunlight may be a major factor in the deterioration of tyres that are otherwise stored in perfect conditions.