Primera ABS Sensor Help - Carl
I have a 98 Primera where the ABS keeps operating at low speed, I have measured the resistance of each sensor and found that the front passenger side is 600 ohms higher than all the others (and higher that the stated max value in the Factory Manual)

I have therefore bought a new sensor (£188 !!!) and set about this morning to replace it.

In true Haynes manual style, they say undo securing bolt and remove sensor. Back the real world, you take the securing bolt out and the sensor won't budge at all. After copiuous amounts of both WD40 and swearing I got it to move side to side using a pair of Stillsons.

After about an hour of moving the sensor side to side and trying to lever it out with screwdrivers I got it half way out. In desperation, I then tried to lever the sensor out (by now there is nothing to easily press against, you are basically trying to get a round plastic cylinder out of a hole in the hub which is a very very close fit)and promptly snapped the sensor in half with the remainder flat with hub.

What are my choices for getting the rest of the sensor out of the hub, at the moment I have wimpted out and are looking to take it the local garage. I was tempted to drill the rest out as best I can and then pick out the remains with a screwdriver.

Primera ABS Sensor Help - Malcolm_L
Carl,
I can't see a problem with drilling out the remains of the sensor.

If the sensor is plastic or even plastic and metal, it will be a lot softer than the hub - I take it this is a blind hole in the hub?

What's the diameter of the sensor? You could try drilling out a hole in the sensor and then putting a screw right the way through, you could then try pulling the whole lot out?

If this doesn't work - move up to the next drill size and try again, either way you should clear out the old sensor.

Primera ABS Sensor Help - Aprilia
Drill it with a small drill (c. 2-3mm) a bit off-centre. Then take the next size drill up until the drill bit edge is just about catching the bore of the hole (if you see what I mean). You will then have drilled out enough of the sensor to leave it as a 'C'-section and it should come out easily. They are made of soft material (plastic, copper wire and AlNiCo magnet) so should drill pretty easily with a cordless.
Primera ABS Sensor Help - Carl
My only worry is that if is this hard to get the old one out, how easy is it to get the new one in ??? Don't want to ruin a new £188 sensor.

First thing I'll do if a get the dammn thing out is wash the hole in the hub with WD40, and grease the body of the new sensor before fitting.
Primera ABS Sensor Help - Aprilia
Don't put so much faith in WD40.
Wrap a bit of emery cloth (fine grade) around an small file or small metal bar and gently clean up the bore. Put a bit of copper grease around the new sensor, slide it in square, and you'll be fine.