New diesel car choice... - Nomag
As a student I've been running a 96 Punto 55SX but I graduate this year and its time to upgrade to something a bit bigger and more powerful. Can anyone help me with my choices?
SHMBO has been running a Punto Multijet Dynamic for 6 months and 10,000 miles I've rapidly become converted to diesel power, even if in HJ's words this is a very noisy diesel.
I've been looking at Focus-sized diesels including a Focus TDCi, Stilo JTD, Leon TDi 110 but at the moment I've been focusing on Toledo 110 TDi SEs - i've seen 18 month old examples with about 14k for £8,500. My budget is about £8000 plus the 96 Punto in P/Ex. The car must be reasonably low insurance group, ideally not higher than grp8, to keep my insurance costs down (I have 2 yrs NCB).
Any advice, further suggestions would be much appreciated! I had been wondering whether I should spend less and look to a higher mileage diesel, keeping some cash back for increased maintenance costs....
New diesel car choice... - Malcolm_L
Focus is a fine car with excellent handling, 1.8TDCI diesel is also good.
Stilo is a poor seller and will depreciate faster and you may have problems selling on.
Leon/Toledo are good cars with good engines and handling.
Octavia also has same engine and is also based on the Golf chassis, however you might get more car for your money.
A late Nissan Almera might be worth a look, (with the Renault diesel).
New diesel car choice... - Soupytwist
Where are you seeing the Toledos at that money ? I might be in the market for one soon. I can vouch for the fact that the engine is reliable and pleasant to drive as I have it in my Octavia.

I currently have an '02 Ibiza (new shape) 100 bhp diesel which is great, but I will be selling it soon in order to buy a 4 door car, maybe another Ibiza maybe a Leon.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
New diesel car choice... - tdiist
Having had a '99 Toledo TDi SE for 10,000 miles so far, I can vouch that it is a lot of car for the money, great fun on the Devon roads and just under 50mpg (70+ mind) Previous cars include 2 Mk2 Golf 16v GTI neither of which were anywhere near as reliable or cheap to run. Only draw back of the toledo is the small boot opening.

Tony
New diesel car choice... - mlj
Probably just out of reach on your budget but the Skoda Fabia vRS (130 bhp) is available new at about £1000 under list. ( I have been looking myself!)
New diesel car choice... - AlanGowdy
... or the Fabia's sibling the SEAT Ibiza 130. Same virtues. Group 7 insurance, mega torque, goes like the clappers, 2100 RPM at 80 mph in sixth gear, 50-plus mpg, available new for £11000-ish from supermarts - or a recent used one without stretching your budget.