Bargain basement car security - Mapmaker
DD posted something some months ago about using a mobile telephone tracking system to build a DIY tracker. I've been sent an email by somebody suggesting a way to do this. Only problem is that AFAIK you need GPS on your mobile telephone in order to find out where it is hiding:

'The scheme uses mobile phone technology which is now very inexpensive. A number of companies offer the service to track the location of a mobile phone using an internet website. This can be used as a very effective and accessible way of monitoring the whereabouts of your car, wherever you are. However installing a phone in a car is not straight forward. A number of problems must be overcome in order to achieve this.

Firstly a reliable power source is required that consumes minimal power (i.e. doesnt get hot!). Just leaving a hidden phone connected to a standard in-car charger is not a practical or safe solution. Phones should not be left on a car charger for more than an hour and should be disconnected when the car is started. Failure to follow these directions will cause the phone battery to be degraded and eventualy the phone willl switch off. Also there is a risk of draining the car battery.

The rechargable batteries supplied with the phones are not suitable to be used in this type of application. However a battery is still required to power the system should the thief disconnect the car battery. This is quite likely in the case of a W123 that has been stolen for parts !! My scheme does not use the battery of the mobile phone but rather uses long shelf life alkaline cells which only come into play if the car power is disconnected

Finally maintaining good reception on a phone fixed in a car cannot be guaranteed with a standard stubby phone aerial. My scheme provides an external antenna for the phone.

For £190 I supply the following:

Pay as You Go Phone with sim card and credit balance
Registration of phone with internet tracking service
Custom power supply connected directly to phone
Alkaline battery back-up
Discrete external antenna suitable for mounting in car
Full instructions for fitting and commissioning the system.

Dont forget. This is a one-off payment. There are no annual additional charges and you can transfer the system to any other car in the future. The only additional cost to you may be the purchase of additonal tracking credits from the internet tracking company. However it will come with enough credit for more than 50 track enquiries.'
There's also an article in this month's Practical Classics (which I found on a train) on cheap ways to secure a car.

In addition to the usual array of microswitches on various parts of the ignition system, they suggested a tap on the fuel line. An ordinary manual in-line tap that you turn on and off.
Bargain basement car security - pmh
I like the mobile phone idea, but you do not need GPS as the mobile phone networks can do a pretty accurate job on locating where the phone is.

If you install devices like the fuel valve cut off, is there an issue of liability on the owner when TWOCcer pulls out in front of HGV and stalls thro lack of fuel at the first junction? HGV then swerves and kills innocent pedestrians?

pmh (was peter)
Bargain basement car security - trancer
"If you install devices like the fuel valve cut off, is there an issue of liability on the owner when TWOCcer pulls out in front of HGV and stalls thro lack of fuel at the first junction? HGV then swerves and kills innocent pedestrians?"

Years ago when I had a car I thought someone would want to steal I installed a fuel cut off switch. It was wired to the fuel pump and once switched off the car would start for only a second or two before stalling, certainly not long enough for a thief to get into harm's way, not that I would have minded if they did. This was on a fuel injected car which probably required a certain amount of fuel line pressure to run, of course a carburetted car might run for longer.

My 2 GBP antitheft measure was never put to a real test, but I had a running challenge going with my co-workers that if they could drive my car away, they could have it. I handed over the keys to a few of them, but they never got it going.
Bargain basement car security - eurocourier
Would this system work in Europe?
Am interested in this - who was offering this kit please?
Bargain basement car security - Colin M
As a student with a Cortina that could be opened and started with any other Ford key, my security started with removing the rotor arm and carrying it with me. Later I used to swap two plug leads over and later Fords were fitted with an extra heated rear window switch that was wired to short the points, so the button needed to be out to run the car.

That was security on a budget!

Euro: email david@w123.net (nothing to do with me)
Thanks Mapmaker.